PO Soon: Kamasi Washington -Harmony of Difference EP

Out this Summer via Young Turks

Throughout the EP, Washington explores the musical technique of counterpoint, which the avant-garde jazz player defines as "the art of balancing similarity and difference to create harmony between separate melodies."

Edited by agaetisbyrjun

I appreciate the fact that Kamasi is influenced by a lot of the great spiritual jazz from the 60's and 70's. I mean The Epic was such an appropriate title for that record. I was a little bored at first with this newest song until the choral voices kicked in, then everything reached a higher level. I'm just glad that he is getting younger fans interested in jazz. There is so much to explore. If you haven't heard it yet, this one by Donald Byrd is a great example of early spiritual jazz with voices.

4 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I appreciate the fact that Kamasi is influenced by a lot of the great spiritual jazz from the 60's and 70's. I mean The Epic was such an appropriate title for that record. I was a little bored at first with this newest song until the choral voices kicked in, then everything reached a higher level. I'm just glad that he is getting younger fans interested in jazz. There is so much to explore. If you haven't heard it yet, this one by Donald Byrd is a great example of early spiritual jazz with voices.

Can I safely assume the rest of this album is just as good?

2 minutes ago, Monastic_mike said:

Can I safely assume the rest of this album is just as good?

The Donald Byrd? Yes, it's very different from his other stuff, which is also amazing. I remember when I first listened to it I wasn't sure about it. I was used to his bop and soul jazz records.

7 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

The Donald Byrd? Yes, it's very different from his other stuff, which is also amazing. I remember when I first listened to it I wasn't sure about it. I was used to his bop and soul jazz records.

I'll give it a listen. I had a record someone gave to me of his and it was pretty janky, very 80's sounding production and I really never got past a single listen through. I feel bad now like I missed out on something. But I'll give this a whirl. Thanks!