Upgrade Questions (Pro-Ject Debut Carbon)

I've had my Debut Carbon for a few years now, and I'm thinking about upgrading my setup. Here's what I have currently:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (with the Ortofon 2M Red that it came with) -> Sony STR-AV320 (receiver with phono input) -> Sharp CP-BA2650 speakers (in Speaker A) and Bose Interaudio 2000 speakers (in Speaker B )

Everything besides the turntable was given to me for free or super cheap, so I'm looking to swap some of those parts out. The problem is that I don't know what the bottleneck in my setup is. Does anyone have any experiences with this receiver or these speakers? If so, where should I go from here? For amps, I've been looking at the Yamaha A-S501, Onkyo A-9050, Music Hall a15.3, and the Marantz PM5004 or 6005.  I also have a TCC TC-750LC preamp that I got before I got the receiver. Would it be worth it to throw this into my setup now, or is it not going to have much of an effect?

Thanks in advance!

14 hours ago, Cpaskous said:

Yeah, the plan is to eventually replace everything. I've read the guide; I was just wondering if any of these amps pairs better with my turntable than the other options (if that even really matters at this level) or if anyone knows what the weakest link is right now.

Forget the Onkyo and go and listen to the other 3 or 4 to see which you prefer and like the price of.

Also it's more a case of your speakers pairing with your amp than your turntable pairing with your amp so you'd need to replace your speakers, as it stands now I would say your speakers will be your weakest link so I'd replace those first but as you are replacing your amp you'd need to have a good idea which way you're going there ideally before you buy your speakers. Your best bet I would say is find somewhere that does an amplifier and speaker package deal

17 hours ago, allenh said:

Forget the Onkyo and go and listen to the other 3 or 4 to see which you prefer and like the price of.

Also it's more a case of your speakers pairing with your amp than your turntable pairing with your amp so you'd need to replace your speakers, as it stands now I would say your speakers will be your weakest link so I'd replace those first but as you are replacing your amp you'd need to have a good idea which way you're going there ideally before you buy your speakers. Your best bet I would say is find somewhere that does an amplifier and speaker package deal

Thanks for the advice! That helped a lot. I don't know many places at which I'd be able to to test out these amps, but I'll do some more research. In the meantime, if anyone knows of any specific speakers that pair well with the amps I mentioned above, let me know!

Another question: I remember looking into this a while ago, but I don't remember finding something that really answered it. When buying speakers for a (let's say) 100w amp, is it necessary that I get 100w speakers?  Essentially, I'm not entirely sure how to pair speakers with amplifiers wattage-wise. I assumed it was just that you needed to make sure the wattage for the speakers was as close as possible to the wattage for the amp, but I remember reading that it was more complex than that.

The impedance and sensitivity is more important than the Watt rating because both speaker and amp manufacturers quote Watts in different ways and in some cases just lie.

I'm simplifying quite a bit as all the measurements affect each other and obviously you cant use a 500W amp on 100W speakers so they need to be close and in general impedance is measured in Ohms and you want to make sure your amp can cope with the speaker load but 4 to 8 is normal with 6 Ohms being common now. And Sensitivity is measured in DB with the higher the number meaning they are easier to drive so a Valve (tube) amp is generally looking for speakers with a sensitivity in the low 90's but a very beefy solid state amp can drive speakers that have a sensitivity in the mid 80's. Most modern hifi amps want to see something around 87 or 88db but there is leeway either way.

On 4/28/2017 at 0:54 AM, allenh said:

The impedance and sensitivity is more important than the Watt rating because both speaker and amp manufacturers quote Watts in different ways and in some cases just lie.

I'm simplifying quite a bit as all the measurements affect each other and obviously you cant use a 500W amp on 100W speakers so they need to be close and in general impedance is measured in Ohms and you want to make sure your amp can cope with the speaker load but 4 to 8 is normal with 6 Ohms being common now. And Sensitivity is measured in DB with the higher the number meaning they are easier to drive so a Valve (tube) amp is generally looking for speakers with a sensitivity in the low 90's but a very beefy solid state amp can drive speakers that have a sensitivity in the mid 80's. Most modern hifi amps want to see something around 87 or 88db but there is leeway either way.

Excellent! Thanks for the info!

On 4/29/2017 at 2:14 PM, xxmartinxx said:

What is the point being running the two sets of speakers?

I have speakers in my living room and in my bedroom, so I switch between them depending what room I'm in. My apartment has kind of a weird layout haha.