Hazing on Vinyl

I notice on records what appears to be glues from the sleeves on the vinyl, especially ones with plastic sleeves but it appears on the paper ones also. Am I correct that this is a result of glues from the sleeve or something else & is it audible? I have seen this on unplayed vinyl & believe it is heat related.

It sounds like you might be talking about outgassing, which happens with those thick PVC sleeves such as the ones you see on picture discs these days.  The chemicals in the PVC leach out onto the vinyl surface and cause all sorts of sonic issues. 

I've never seen it happen with paper or antistatic sleeves though, which it sounds like you are indicating.  Is...is it is possible your house is made of PVC?

2 hours ago, thievedrelic said:

It sounds like you might be talking about outgassing, which happens with those thick PVC sleeves such as the ones you see on picture discs these days.  The chemicals in the PVC leach out onto the vinyl surface and cause all sorts of sonic issues. 

I've never seen it happen with paper or antistatic sleeves though, which it sounds like you are indicating.  Is...is it is possible your house is made of PVC?

This is what I thought.  If the outer plastic sleeve is almost a hard plastic and there is no inner paper sleeve for the record, you're dealing with outgassing of the PVC plastic sleeve.  That haze is a permanent fixture on your record now.

It'll be great when people stop putting vinyl in those things.

PVC is great for plumbing, but horrible for vinyl records. I know of no cure. At least on coins, it forms a green slime, that you can remove with an acetone bath, if it hasn't been on there too long to cause corrosion. For kicks, I tried acetone on a common record that is difficult to find un-slimed because of the PVC jacket. It was not pretty. Cut the vinyl off and saved the center label for a coaster.