10" Record Recommendations

4 hours ago, Sasan said:

Totally forgot the Junius/Juarez split and EF! They're great!

BTW, how is the YPOFH 10"? I'd love to see their s/t on vinyl one day...what a fantastic album!!!

YPOFH: ST I had all 4 colors of the double CD book and gave one to my daughter, so now I have 3. The Red jacket artwork inside is a little different.

It is the **perfect** emo album, maybe tie with Athletics: WYAINE

8 tracks, 8 minutes long each, and emo in the best sort of way.  I like that their vocals aren't super polished and the cello dude is fantastic.

It was their postrock elements on Tiny Town that got me into them. My daughter wanted them to come to the US and play at her graduation party lol, which I emailed them, and they were not in the States. I think they've been on hiatus with marriages/kids and stuff the past 4 years.

The 10" is great, I have a spare copy, but getting it to Germany isn't worth it :(

6 hours ago, drds89 said:

YPOFH: ST I had all 4 colors of the double CD book and gave one to my daughter, so now I have 3. The Red jacket artwork inside is a little different.

It is the **perfect** emo album, maybe tie with Athletics: WYAINE

8 tracks, 8 minutes long each, and emo in the best sort of way.  I like that their vocals aren't super polished and the cello dude is fantastic.

It was their postrock elements on Tiny Town that got me into them. My daughter wanted them to come to the US and play at her graduation party lol, which I emailed them, and they were not in the States. I think they've been on hiatus with marriages/kids and stuff the past 4 years.

The 10" is great, I have a spare copy, but getting it to Germany isn't worth it :(

I think I have two versions of the s/t...green & white if I remember correctly! It indeed is a perfect album!

Listened to "Small Changes..." but it didn't grab me like the s/t....probably the reason I didn't buy it! :)

21 hours ago, Sasan said:

I think I have two versions of the s/t...green & white if I remember correctly! It indeed is a perfect album!

Listened to "Small Changes..." but it didn't grab me like the s/t....probably the reason I didn't buy it! :)

2 of the 4 tracks I really like, the other 2 aren't bad, but I end up just listening to one side.

"You bring the sandwiches; I'll bring the neediness." Great emo verse!

Foo Fighters - Songs From the Laundry Room is probably my favorite sounding 10".  It's so loud & crisp.

Cloudkicker & Owel tie for my fav overall 10"ers.

Don't think I've seen Toe - The Future is Now mentioned unless I'm blind.

I also dig the Intheclouds stuff I have (Owel, Vis, Vasudeva).

3 hours ago, mrewest said:

Foo Fighters - Songs From the Laundry Room is probably my favorite sounding 10".  It's so loud & crisp.

Cloudkicker & Owel tie for my fav overall 10"ers.

Don't think I've seen Toe - The Future is Now mentioned unless I'm blind.

I also dig the Intheclouds stuff I have (Owel, Vis, Vasudeva).

Cloudkicker and Toe are in my discogs link. Ended up selling Owel, Vis and  Vasudeva to a dude who was late to the ITC game.

On 4/26/2017 at 11:04 AM, kjkenney said:

Triplefastaction- Broadcaster. 3x 10 promo set that came out. one of my favorite albums of all time. 90s Chicago alt rock power pop stuff. Close buds to Local H and Fig Dish. Usually under $10 as well. Check out the song Revved Up.

This! Great record and band that never got the recognition they deserve.

On 4/28/2017 at 1:42 PM, thepunkguy said:

did anyone mention...

Swing Kids / Spanakorzo?  if not.  get this.

I did but reinforcement might make more people check it out and understand their greatness. Swing Kids was such a great band and the whole discography can be heard in under 30 min

11 hours ago, Die Laughing said:

Why would anyone desire a record based on its number pressed (limited/unlimited)?

Why would anyone desire a record based on its pressing order (OG, Repress)?

Why would anyone desire a record based on its color (or Black only)?

Why would anyone desire a record based on its autograph status?

Why all of these collector, OCD questions? Its a presupposed component of human nature.

And unless you've experienced a 10" - you'll never know...

I'm with Die Laughing, though.  10"s feel sort of gimmicky to me, and I actually tend to avoid them unless they're the only possible medium.  Not only do I personally steer clear of them, but I'm unsure why anyone would want to receive recommendations for them.  Are you trying to diversify the portfolio™?  The music and content of a record should be the driving force behind picking it up and calling it a piece of your collection – buying something based solely off the variant, rarity, or - in this case, the media's size - just seems trivial.

On 4/30/2017 at 9:03 AM, NapalmBrain said:

I did but reinforcement might make more people check it out and understand their greatness. Swing Kids was such a great band and the whole discography can be heard in under 30 min

ha ha.

their whole discography is like 17 mins.  17 minutes of amazing-ness.

Bad phrasing i guess. If this thread asked for seven inch recommendations would it be weird? Ten inches used to be the standard size of an LP before 12 inch came to be. Cool history behind it in my opinion. A dead format within a dead format, if you will. 

Edited by kjkenney

30 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

Anyone have a good recommendation for 13" or 18" records

I have a few of both but I need more large awkward to fit on the shelf records.

While I realize you're joking, if you seriously have records on this size I want to know what they are.

I'm (extremely slowly) building a collection of unusually sized records, just for kicks.

37 minutes ago, daegor said:

While I realize you're joking, if you seriously have records on this size I want to know what they are.

I'm (extremely slowly) building a collection of unusually sized records, just for kicks.

I was joking, but also have records those sizes.  Third Man Records released some "Texas Sized" 13" LPs at SXSW a few years back.  18" records were often used for radio stations for broadcasts.  The spun at 16 RPM so that a single side would last a long time (I think like an hour per side).  I don't have a turn table that is big enough, but I do have a turntable that plays at 16rpm.  

1 hour ago, stl_ben said:

I was joking, but also have records those sizes.  Third Man Records released some "Texas Sized" 13" LPs at SXSW a few years back.  18" records were often used for radio stations for broadcasts.  The spun at 16 RPM so that a single side would last a long time (I think like an hour per side).  I don't have a turn table that is big enough, but I do have a turntable that plays at 16rpm.  

Its actually 16" 33s that were used by the broadcast industry. 16 rpm was very low fidelity and used by a lot by audio book manufacturers, and specifically not the broadcasters due to the low quality. I love the history behind this format. 

http://www.capsnews.org/apn2010-3.htm