10" Record Recommendations

16 hours ago, kjkenney said:

Its actually 16" 33s that were used by the broadcast industry. 16 rpm was very low fidelity and used by a lot by audio book manufacturers, and specifically not the broadcasters due to the low quality. I love the history behind this format. 

http://www.capsnews.org/apn2010-3.htm

Prestige made some 16 speed 10" for a year or two in the 50s, there is at least one by Miles Davis and it fetches a pretty penny

edit: nevermind they are 12"

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Miles-Davis-And-The-Modern-Jazz-Giants/release/4076578

Edited by NapalmBrain

2 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

Prestige made some 16 speed 10" for a year or two in the 50s, there is at least one by Miles Davis and it fetches a pretty penny

edit: nevermind they are 12"

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Miles-Davis-And-The-Modern-Jazz-Giants/release/4076578

Thats pretty dang cool. That article talks about the dive into music on that speed, but talks about the downsides that quickly came up. It mentions a chubby checker record with 32 tracks and how locating a track was such a pain in the butt lol. And how they sounded pretty bad. Id be curious to find one just for the sake of doing so.

22 hours ago, kjkenney said:

So no one here saying this is weird has a seven inch collection? 

Can't speak for everyone here... but for myself, yeah, that's correct.  7"s are impractical for 99% of the occasions I listen to music, and I'd absolutely prefer to hear the single in context with the music.  The remix or instrumental version on the b-side is typically never worth revisiting more than once, and I'm not a fan of having to store or categorize them separately.  Exceptions include releases – like tiny EPs, or unreleased songs – that aren't included elsewhere.  (Which is also what 100% of my 10"s are, too.)  Maybe I'm boring but I just never got the appeal of them, and have regretted nothing at all in the process of trimming them down to the bare essentials over the years.

5 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Can't speak for everyone here... but for myself, yeah, that's correct.  7"s are impractical for 99% of the occasions I listen to music, and I'd absolutely prefer to hear the single in context with the music.  The remix or instrumental version on the b-side is typically never worth revisiting more than once, and I'm not a fan of having to store or categorize them separately.  Exceptions include releases – like tiny EPs, or unreleased songs – that aren't included elsewhere.  (Which is also what 100% of my 10"s are, too.)  Maybe I'm boring but I just never got the appeal of them, and have regretted nothing at all in the process of trimming them down to the bare essentials over the years.

Nah i feel you totally. I worked at a record store for two years and seven inches were a cheap way to grow my collection on that salary, but I now own maybe three after unloading dozens. Tedious listening process and, anymore, the songs can generally be found elsewhere.

4 hours ago, stl_ben said:

about 75% of my collection is 7"s. 

If you like them, but don't like flipping them....get a jukebox.  It's a fun item to have in any house (IMO).

speaking of which I love 7" singles I've heard Euclid and Record Exchange (I think that's the name it's supposed to be like a rummage sale in terms of organization in certain parts of the store) are the places to hit in St. Louis. With Vintage vinyl being more for albums, what's your opinion of the go to spot in the STL area? Thanks, I'd like to plan a day next week to check it out

20 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

speaking of which I love 7" singles I've heard Euclid and Record Exchange (I think that's the name it's supposed to be like a rummage sale in terms of organization in certain parts of the store) are the places to hit in St. Louis. With Vintage vinyl being more for albums, what's your opinion of the go to spot in the STL area? Thanks, I'd like to plan a day next week to check it out

OK, so of the stores in STL my thoughts are:

• Vintage Vinyl is my favorite store in town overall as it is the most convenient for me to get to and is the best place to find new releases and indie exclusive stuff.
  • Euclid Records is a close 2nd only because its more out of the way to get to.  If you are looking for some cool 7"s they have a wide variety and they are organized well.
  • Record Exchange....oof where to start.  This is the largest selection in town as its an old library that is over flowing with records.  Bad news, super poorly unorganized.  Their second floor is 7"s only and it is a little more organized, but not always open.  If you are going to go and want to spend time digging, go now before summer gets here as the building has no AC.  I have left plenty of sweat in the 2nd floor looking at 7"s.
  • Planet Record Shop & Music Record Shop are both newer stores.  Smaller selections overall but still decent places to hit up if you are wanting to keep digging.

5 hours ago, stl_ben said:

about 75% of my collection is 7"s. 

If you like them, but don't like flipping them....get a jukebox.  It's a fun item to have in any house (IMO).

The hope of one day owning a jukebox is the only reason I buy 7"s & even then I only get them when it's non-album stuff.

I saw a jukebox at a garage sale, I didn't have what they wanted which was probably a steal at $550 if it worked. But they only wanted .50 a piece for the LPs so I grabbed 2 Hank Snow, an Ernest Tubb, a Dolly Parton, Emily Remler, The Return Of The Jedi Soundtrack and Willie Nelson "Stardust" in the shrink. Maybe not the genres I actively seek but for .50 I got some new discoveries. This is really off topic now so those 10" in the NMH boxset are awesome that set is totally worth the $120 if you are a fan (I traded 4 records for one to a member on here, and cherish it)