Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

21 hours ago, Freki said:

Did you ever get a new table?

Not yet, but I have a new needle and also changed my system around to isolate my TT from the speakers, which actually has improved noise reduction dramatically.  I was pretty surprised by that, to be honest.  Other records I thought were problematic are pretty much silent now, kinda crazy.  But these are the only records I have that sound this particular way, as if they're old and from the 50's, so that's why I was just curious if anybody else experiences this with theirs.  It's also interesting because you can hear the background noise floor change at points with these.  All my other Mono records are colored variants, and they're perfect, so that's why I was like "hmmm".   

Potentially just dirt I haven't yet managed to get cleaned out yet?  They don't skip or anything and there's no actual tick caused by a physical scratch...  they just have a moderate case of the rice crispy effect, so i figured I'd ask.

In other news, you can stream BLAK's debut album only today and tomorrow (?) right here:  http://www.mondosonoro.com/noticias-actualidad-musical/estrenamos-debut-blak/

EDIT:  This album is pretty good!  I'm finding track 3 to be the highlight for me so far. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

Starting to check out the Dunk bands I haven't listened to before.  Appalaches:  Awesome...kind of Spurv-lite.  Au Revoir:  I know they were mentioned a million times & I never checked them out.  Holy shit they are heavy.  Can't believe I slept on their latest.  Thisquietarmy:  Yikes.  After that 12 minute opening drone track on their newest I skimmed through the rest & decided it's not for me at all.  Maybe live it's something, but can't step away fast enough from their Spotify lol.

Appalaches:  Awesome...kind of Spurv-lite.  Au Revoir:  I know they were mentioned a million times & I never checked them out.  Holy shit they are heavy.  Can't believe I slept on their latest.

Yes and yes! Love those 2 bands. 

Also, have you all listened to the 2 new Sannhet songs? I've had a chance to listen to the new album in full and it is so so good, surely one of the best releases this year. Better than Revisionist in my opinion.

23 hours ago, mrewest said:

Starting to check out the Dunk bands I haven't listened to before.  Appalaches:  Awesome...kind of Spurv-lite.  Au Revoir:  I know they were mentioned a million times & I never checked them out.  Holy shit they are heavy.  Can't believe I slept on their latest.  Thisquietarmy:  Yikes.  After that 12 minute opening drone track on their newest I skimmed through the rest & decided it's not for me at all.  Maybe live it's something, but can't step away fast enough from their Spotify lol.

Evan, I can't believe you even listened to TQA !! (It's just one guy from Montreal, Eric Quach). For me drone is either love or boredom. I think his most accessible release is a guitar-centered, 4 track reworking of studio material into what he plays live. It's got some riffs that really stick with me.

I haven't pulled the trigger on his latest with a cool limited edition -- the teaser track is really good at the end, but I want to hear the whole thing first. He does a lot of really arts and crafty stuff like Mamiffer.

I play this on vinyl regularly - give it a whirl.  I think you'll like parts and it 'might' just get stuck in your ear. Headphone music. It's NOT pg.lost ;)

TQA - Rebirths

edit:  Listen to  track 3: Revival first. It's only 7:41 and if you don't dig that at all, I'd say forget the rest.

Edited by drds89

On 7/25/2017 at 0:35 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Hey, do any of you guys have Mono - You Are There and Hymn To The Immortal Wind on black?  I'm curious about the quality of your copies, if you do. 

I've picked up a copy of each, and I'm just curious if your copies are as noisy as mine.  Both are fairly significantly loaded with crackles and pops, even after cleaning.  The previous owner had stored them in Mofi master sleeves and closeable sleeves which is great, because neither of them have static or dust issues.  I just wonder if this is an issue with the black pressing in general from TRL itself, because it's kind of a bummer to hear Mono's glorious music be interrupted and overpowered by crackling.  The music itself sounds fantastic on here, so I'm just wondering if it's worth my time to sell these off for what I paid, and invest in a new copy, or of different colors?  Any thoughts?

My autographed Black copy is now the only copy of Hymn I own. It sounds fine, avg. surface noise, nothing uber clean, but A-OK. Sold my color copies. I got this copy 4 or 5 years ago when they actually got within 3 hrs of us, as they tour incessantly, but rarely close to us.  

edit: "previous owner" - there's the problem. Next time ordering something from TRL, pick up one.

Edited by drds89

14 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

Also, have you all listened to the 2 new Sannhet songs? I've had a chance to listen to the new album in full and it is so so good, surely one of the best releases this year. Better than Revisionist in my opinion.

This pleases me to hear.  Really loving both of those singles so far.  A lot more than anything on Revisionist, which I'd classify as an album somewhere between "okay" and "good".

On 7/26/2017 at 10:40 PM, mrewest said:

Starting to check out the Dunk bands I haven't listened to before.  Appalaches:  Awesome...kind of Spurv-lite.  Au Revoir:  I know they were mentioned a million times & I never checked them out.  Holy shit they are heavy. 

On 7/27/2017 at 1:16 PM, Freki said:

Thanks for that Au Revoir. Had never heard of them.

I can't believe you guys hadn't listened to Appalaches or Au Revoir!  So good.  I think the new Appalaches album is much better than their debut, Mon, which was itself very good.  Au Revoir I'm hot and cold on, some days I love it, other days it's not what I'm looking for.  They share a guitarist with Shy, Low though.  You can also pick up crazy variants of "Veles" from Elusive Sound.  Gorgeous work. 

20 hours ago, drds89 said:

My autographed Black copy is now the only copy of Hymn I own. It sounds fine, avg. surface noise, nothing uber clean, but A-OK. Sold my color copies. I got this copy 4 or 5 years ago when they actually got within 3 hrs of us, as they tour incessantly, but rarely close to us.  

edit: "previous owner" - there's the problem. Next time ordering something from TRL, pick up one.

Thanks for the input, makes me think my situation is a little bit of both.  I'm going to give it another cleaning and and see if it doesn't improve; I'm thinking it was more the seller though because all of the Mono records I picked up suffer from this, despite being stored in Mofi sleeves and sealable outers.  So who knows.  The music itself sounds fantastic, though!  Mono on vinyl is truly a treat.  It's interesting how some bands take longer for you to "get" than others.  At this rate, I may even end up loving "For My Parents" haha. 

18 hours ago, Derek™ said:

This pleases me to hear.  Really loving both of those singles so far.  A lot more than anything on Revisionist, which I'd classify as an album somewhere between "okay" and "good".

I can't remember if here or IG discussion, but I feel the exact same way about Revisionist and was afraid of stepping on so many happy toes, so I kept mum.

I'm also stoked about the 2 tracks out so far!

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I can't believe you guys hadn't listened to Appalaches or Au Revoir!  So good.  I think the new Appalaches album is much better than their debut, Mon, which was itself very good.  Au Revoir I'm hot and cold on, some days I love it, other days it's not what I'm looking for.  They share a guitarist with Shy, Low though.  You can also pick up crazy variants of "Veles" from Elusive Sound.  Gorgeous work. 

Thanks for the input, makes me think my situation is a little bit of both.  I'm going to give it another cleaning and and see if it doesn't improve; I'm thinking it was more the seller though because all of the Mono records I picked up suffer from this, despite being stored in Mofi sleeves and sealable outers.  So who knows.  The music itself sounds fantastic, though!  Mono on vinyl is truly a treat.  It's interesting how some bands take longer for you to "get" than others.  At this rate, I may even end up loving "For My Parents" haha. 

When the old "After The Post Rock" site shut down,  then reopened for a year or so, it never was the same. You think the grouchiness about newbs bumping old threads for whatever reason here is bad, man, that place was brutal! I believe it was UK based, but I got a tonne of education there.  The new site lasted about a year and did some give-aways, and I won a copy of "For My Parents."  It's not my favorite and I did my share of whining about it, but my daughter did a piano cover of Legened (abbreviated), and to hear it through her ears totally changed my perspective. She didn't want me to upload Legend piano cover - first 10 seconds techical difficulties hang in there  because she said it had too many mistakes. The only cover i ever asked her to do was a Sigur Ros piano piece. I still have a couple dozen pieces she did by ear that I need to upload, just keep forgetting.

Charlie @abovetheearth, I asked her to do the  Nyctalgia and she said yes, but I keep forgetting to get her the link - and then college + job + boyfriend and she hasn't had much time for diddling around for fun.

Well fuck. 

From the Glories FB page:

It is with the heaviest of hearts that we share this news tonight. Our brother and guitarist Zachary Cooner tragically passed away early this morning in a car accident as he traveled home from work. Glories was everything to Zach and he was everything to us. Last Saturday, as we were rehearsing for Secret Stages, he was going on and on about how much he loved what we were doing and how much it meant to him. His uplifting spirit and brash sense of humor will be missed by everyone lucky enough to have known him. Zach's musical gifts were undeniable. He was a self-taught guitarist with true talent that was invaluable to every Glories song. We are all in shock and are uncertain as to what the future will hold. If you would like to leave kind comments on this post, we will share them with Zach’s family. We are certain they would love to hear about how his music was an inspiration for others. We have lost a brother and this is heavier than any of us can bear alone.

Needless to say, we will not be performing tomorrow night at Secret Stages. We are truly thankful for the understanding of everyone involved with the festival and wish them the very best. We would like to thank everyone for their kind words and the outpouring of love we've experienced today.

-Adam, Dallas, and Kyle

On 7/30/2017 at 0:20 AM, abovetheearth said:

ATPR was brutal. I got railed pretty good over there. I'd love to hear the Nyctalgia (I'll wait years)...whatever happened with that dude?

I have no idea what happened or the details, and I know a few of the regulars showed up here for a while, but not many. One of them PM'ed me recently which reminded me about the site and all the Archive links I had bookmarked are dead now.

Phil with Elusive Sound Records in Switzerland has put out /pressed some right decent music:  Glasir, Show Me A Dinosaur, Au Revoir - no comment on the pg.lost from Evan!!, and has new Silent Whale Becomes A Dream coming out this year.

Recently released https://thisisblak.bandcamp.com/Blak - Between Darkness And Light seems to swing from classical Mono into edgy postrock like Key from pg.lost or later GFE, but never really metal

He's doing a cool /50 Wooden art jacket with celestial, instrumental blackgaze-postrock outfit "TRNA" from Russia. Really good stuff, but not sure if something I have to  have, but y'all know my weakness for those special pressings.  Here is their previous Trna -- two 20 minute tracks. PO goes up next Friday at 8PM Switzerland iirc. Wish I could hear it all before springing; you never know it might be this year's Sunbather?

12 hours ago, drds89 said:

Phil with Elusive Sound Records in Switzerland has put out /pressed some right decent music:  Glasir, Show Me A Dinosaur, Au Revoir - no comment on the pg.lost from Evan!!, and has new Silent Whale Becomes A Dream coming out this year.

Recently released https://thisisblak.bandcamp.com/Blak - Between Darkness And Light seems to swing from classical Mono into edgy postrock like Key from pg.lost or later GFE, but never really metal

He's doing a cool /50 Wooden art jacket with celestial, instrumental blackgaze-postrock outfit "TRNA" from Russia. Really good stuff, but not sure if something I have to  have, but y'all know my weakness for those special pressings.  Here is their previous Trna -- two 20 minute tracks. PO goes up next Friday at 8PM Switzerland iirc. Wish I could hear it all before springing; you never know it might be this year's Sunbather?

The TRNA album they are pressing is that one from last year (Lose Yourself to Find Peace).

On ‎2017‎.‎08‎.‎06‎. at 7:09 AM, drds89 said:

Thanks for the heads up, definitely going to grab one!

On 8/7/2017 at 5:20 PM, anchorlessbodies said:

Thanks for the heads up, definitely going to grab one!

Glad other people are finally getting into what those guys are doing.  They are the most impressive releases I've ever seen.  Although I'm starting to prefer the non-deluxe vinyl variants to the deluxe versions, which would certainly fare well for my wallet. 

On a semi-related note, I've been listening to "Dust" by Show Me A Dinosaur a lot and that album continues to impress me and get better with every listen I feel like.  "Drawing The Line" is probably my favorite, even with the campy Jurassic Park samples. 

Also, kinda surprised none of you commented about the Glories post.  We don't lose post-rock people often, I feel like...   thought that would have more traction. 

11 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Also, kinda surprised none of you commented about the Glories post.  We don't lose post-rock people often, I feel like...   thought that would have more traction. 

6 hours ago, Sasan said:

Probably because most here are unfamiliar with the band...never heard of them...so, for me, it's something different than for example with CMF...

True @Sasan . And another reason is people deal with loss in different ways. While some people would like to come here and talk about it, perhaps some people here actually expressed their feelings to the band directly, to their social media, whatever. 

On 8/9/2017 at 3:53 AM, Sasan said:

Probably because most here are unfamiliar with the band...never heard of them...so, for me, it's something different than for example with CMF...

Elusive Sound indeed do some nice work...but their prices ruin it for me! The prices are so....Swiss...

I could have sworn everybody here was gushing about 'There Is No Stillness" when it came out in January...   very solid work indeed. 

And yeah, I feel you on the Elusive Sound thing.  Shipping is killer, but I don't think there's any way around that unfortunately.  I'm going to be sitting out on the TRNA wood box edition, as cool as it will be.  I just can't afford what they're going to be asking for it.  I'm glad other people will pick it up though! 

On 8/9/2017 at 10:43 AM, wisdom81 said:

True @Sasan . And another reason is people deal with loss in different ways. While some people would like to come here and talk about it, perhaps some people here actually expressed their feelings to the band directly, to their social media, whatever. 

Absolutely fair, as I did so myself.  Incredibly sad.

Shifting gears, A Thousand Arms has become the official USA distributor for Pelagic Records.  They've got merch, vinyl, and CD's for the newest Sleepmakeswaves, PG.Lost, The Ocean, Labirinto, etc.  Check it out!  http://www.athousandarms.com/pelagic-records