Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

4 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

In honor of Caspian not playing...

[Just got it done a few hours ago. It's still swollen so looks crooked, but it's not. Hard to get a shot of my right arm, but I'll get better photos later. I didn't know this beforehand, but the artist that did it has tattooed Jani before.; small world. The dude was really cool. We talked Godspeed, Envy, Mount Eerie, Converge, etc. I'm thinking this is gonna be a Caspian half sleeve. Who knows what the future holds. For now, I'm really stoked.]

xdDSGtp.jpg

7gkpCD0.jpg

Looks awesome!  

On 8/22/2017 at 1:44 PM, mrewest said:

Ok, Dunk is officially awesome.  Russian Circles and UNCONDITIONAL ARMS!  Now I'm jacked.

And you guys said the fest was a flop, haha. 

Where should I start with Unconditional Arms?  I checked out a few songs today, and they were good nuggets, but kinda felt unfinished to me.  One had the 2 songs written for the wedding, or something that, and then I listened to the first couple songs from whichever release is about his unborn son or something that.  TV on the Weekends was track 2, I recall that.  There didn't seem to be much on bandcamp aside from random single/dual-song releases. 

18 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

And you guys said the fest was a flop, haha. 

Where should I start with Unconditional Arms?  I checked out a few songs today, and they were good nuggets, but kinda felt unfinished to me.  One had the 2 songs written for the wedding, or something that, and then I listened to the first couple songs from whichever release is about his unborn son or something that.  TV on the Weekends was track 2, I recall that.  There didn't seem to be much on bandcamp aside from random single/dual-song releases. 

Go straight to the live album, "Live at Santo".  That's literally the best of everything released, prior to the next two singles you also need to check out, "Feud" & "Fever Basin".  Sounds like you've only checked out the most mellow/toned down songs so far.

https://unconditionalarms.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-santo

Edited by mrewest

13 hours ago, mrewest said:

Go straight to the live album, "Live at Santo".  That's literally the best of everything released, prior to the next two singles you also need to check out, "Feud" & "Fever Basin".  Sounds like you've only checked out the most mellow/toned down songs so far.

https://unconditionalarms.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-santo

Word yeah it was only a cursory glance while I showered on Wednesday.  I mean the ideas were good, but the songs felt more like germs and not fully-fleshed ideas that go different places.  I'll dive into that live album because I noticed "TV on the Weekends" is over double the length of the studio version haha, so I'm down with some jamming! 

Also, HUGE news:  https://athousandarms.store/products/appalaches-cycles-2xlp

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Word yeah it was only a cursory glance while I showered on Wednesday.  I mean the ideas were good, but the songs felt more like germs and not fully-fleshed ideas that go different places.  I'll dive into that live album because I noticed "TV on the Weekends" is over double the length of the studio version haha, so I'm down with some jamming! 

Also, HUGE news:  https://athousandarms.store/products/appalaches-cycles-2xlp

Be patient on that live Television too haha, it takes about 8 minutes to get going.  But the payoff is worth it.   The live tracks definitely add more flair than the studio versions.  First Look has a Sycamore-esque ending on the live version that isn't there on the actual album.

Edited by mrewest

NEW ROSETTA!!!!!!!!!!!  32:10 on the following link.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/the-racket/the-racket/8836888

ANOTHER NEW SONG: 

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2017/08/31/track-premiere-rosetta-detente/

Definitely a more melodic approach for them.  I like it though. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

Yeah this new album is fantastic.  I love the more melodic approach they took with this one. 

Also, new Ranges album is out too!!!  I made a thread for all the A Thousand Arms stuff so you guys should head over there and check the stuff out.  You can pick up the Appalaches album on vinyl from them as well! 

EDIT:  If you guys haven't checked out the new Ranges single, head on over to that A1KA thread and watch the video.  Tremendous stuff.  I really love the electronic elements early in the song, and the video itself is super cool.  It must have taken forever to make haha. 

Also, I made a thread for This Patch of Sky - These Small Spaces because they have pre-orders live for the album and another new single is going to drop in about 2 weeks and it is truly fantastic.  This record is their best production yet, and their new drummer really shines and brings their stuff to the next level. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

Okay, so since this thread isn't so much specifically vinyl-related, I have a cool topic I'd like to hear about.  What would you guys say the most intense song is that you've seen?  It can be one, or a bunch.  I'd love to hear about them. 

For me, the thing that first comes to mind is "Waiting For You" by Cult of Luna.  I wasn't yet completely 100% familiar with the rest of "Salvation" beyond "Echoes" at this point in time, but I knew I'd heard that opening riff before.  I was totally unprepared for the voyage of that song, because the ending just keeps going, and going, and going, and it builds into this tremendously huge powerful groove that just hammers you.  And then the vocals come in at the end, and it's truly perfect.

Also, the other song that comes to mind pretty quickly is "Malabar Front".  What a storm of energy, that song.  Somewhat similar to the ending of "Waiting For You", the song just keeps driving and going and it's sort of like a whirlwind.  It's very much helped by that propulsive, upbeat drum pattern that he uses throughout the song.  It's just got great energy. 

What about you guys? 

11 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Okay, so since this thread isn't so much specifically vinyl-related, I have a cool topic I'd like to hear about.  What would you guys say the most intense song is that you've seen?  It can be one, or a bunch.  I'd love to hear about them. 

For me, the thing that first comes to mind is "Waiting For You" by Cult of Luna.  I wasn't yet completely 100% familiar with the rest of "Salvation" beyond "Echoes" at this point in time, but I knew I'd heard that opening riff before.  I was totally unprepared for the voyage of that song, because the ending just keeps going, and going, and going, and it builds into this tremendously huge powerful groove that just hammers you.  And then the vocals come in at the end, and it's truly perfect.

Also, the other song that comes to mind pretty quickly is "Malabar Front".  What a storm of energy, that song.  Somewhat similar to the ending of "Waiting For You", the song just keeps driving and going and it's sort of like a whirlwind.  It's very much helped by that propulsive, upbeat drum pattern that he uses throughout the song.  It's just got great energy. 

What about you guys? 

Post-rock-wise, probably Set and Setting - Spiraling Uncertainties

15 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

What about you guys? 

Malabar Front's outro riff  -- repeated just enough times without saying 'enough already' -- is what makes it.

Although I never saw Daturah live, I cannot imagine Vertex not being a contender for me.

TWDY -- Burial On The Presidio Banks reduced me to water when the final push kicked in, as did Mono's Ashes In The Snow.

Sigur Ros ( ) 8 would show up on a lot of people's list who have seen them live, and probably the first song to do that to me in a long, long time back when getting back into music.

One more, sorry to derail as "Most Intense" as I'm thinking of 5 or 6 more, yet to see live is Yndi Halda.  Illuminate My Heart... when it cranks up, is right devastating

11 hours ago, drds89 said:

Malabar Front's outro riff  -- repeated just enough times without saying 'enough already' -- is what makes it.

Although I never saw Daturah live, I cannot imagine Vertex not being a contender for me.

TWDY -- Burial On The Presidio Banks reduced me to water when the final push kicked in, as did Mono's Ashes In The Snow.

Sigur Ros ( ) 8 would show up on a lot of people's list who have seen them live, and probably the first song to do that to me in a long, long time back when getting back into music.

One more, sorry to derail as "Most Intense" as I'm thinking of 5 or 6 more, yet to see live is Yndi Halda.  Illuminate My Heart... when it cranks up, is right devastating

Could you imagine how utterly fantastic Daturah likely was, live?  Man. 

I'd also like to add "Vultures" by PG.Lost.  Just... tremendously powerful.  I'll never forget when the chorus hit and Kristian started in with this wordless harmony, I just lost it, and my eyes welled up.  It was too much.  That was likely influenced by the fact that I'd been up for something like 24 hours straight traveling and was in such a surreal environment, but I tell you....  that might be the peak.  Unfortunately I was TOO exhausted for We Lost The Sea to have had the proper impact.  That's a big regret of mine.  But their set still crushed, and Bogatyri is a powerhouse of a song to hear live. 

I'm looking to hear from anybody who has seen Jakob live as well... :D 

19 hours ago, batman said:

'A Three-Legged Workhorse' at midnight on New Year's Eve 2014.

'Arcs of Command' and 'Sycamore'

Anything by GY!BE, Mogwai, or MONO

Can you tell me more about this midnight TWDY gig?  That sounds super cool.  Also, Mogwai is now on my list of bands I'd like to see.  Before, I always kind of ignored them because the only stuff I really loved was "My Father, My King" but lately I've been listening to Happy Songs for Happy People and that album is fantastic, as well as Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will!  I also enjoy CODY but those songs tend to run together for me. 

5 hours ago, PigeonsPlayingWhatNow said:

Anyone heard these guys yet? Started the album tonight but got interrupted. 

Latest release from Mylene Sheath

This album is old, but thanks for putting it up because I never got around to listening to the whole thing.  I liked some of what I heard, and you could very much hear the late-era Isis styling in some of the riff sections. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Can you tell me more about this midnight TWDY gig?  That sounds super cool.  Also, Mogwai is now on my list of bands I'd like to see.  Before, I always kind of ignored them because the only stuff I really loved was "My Father, My King" but lately I've been listening to Happy Songs for Happy People and that album is fantastic, as well as Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will!  I also enjoy CODY but those songs tend to run together for me. 

This album is old, but thanks for putting it up because I never got around to listening to the whole thing.  I liked some of what I heard, and you could very much hear the late-era Isis styling in some of the riff sections. 

any clue what's going on with the Sheath right now? Haven't seen an update since maybe June? Their third Thursday night special hasn't been updated since April or something like that. 

Im hoping everything is alright. I love that label. 

17 minutes ago, PigeonsPlayingWhatNow said:

any clue what's going on with the Sheath right now? Haven't seen an update since maybe June? Their third Thursday night special hasn't been updated since April or something like that. 

Im hoping everything is alright. I love that label. 

The vinyl mafia came after them because they dared to talk about repressing Jakob records to vinyl.  Somebody doesn't want this to happen, and we need to find out why.  The fate of our collections depends on it. 

8 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

The vinyl mafia came after them because they dared to talk about repressing Jakob records to vinyl.  Somebody doesn't want this to happen, and we need to find out why.  The fate of our collections depends on it. 

Like cale:drew, etc? Umm.....who ever said that was a bad idea though? Seems like we've got a mystery on our hands, gang. 

Just now, PigeonsPlayingWhatNow said:

Like cale:drew, etc? Umm.....who ever said that was a bad idea though? Seems like we've got a mystery on our hands, gang. 

Precisely.  All 4 previous full-lengths were to be pressed:  S/T, Subsets, C:D, and Solace.  It must be that drug-prom kingpin and his henchmen...

Also, this Mustard Gas and Roses album is pretty great.