Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

13 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I hate you.  So much.  So so much. 

Haha am I missing something? It's not the most technical song but it keeps building and building, kinda like the ones you were describing. Another one that just now came to mind is Saxon Shore - "Isolated By the Secrets..."

4 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

Haha am I missing something? It's not the most technical song but it keeps building and building, kinda like the ones you were describing. Another one that just now came to mind is Saxon Shore - "Isolated By the Secrets..."

Hahaha that's my way of saying how insanely jealous I am.  The band no longer performs material from Equanimity, because A) they have a new bass player and guitarist who never knew the material, and 2) Equanimity was written in a different tuning than what they use now.  This is the same reason Shy, Low will likely never perform "Presence" because they also have a new bass player and don't really have the time or desire to teach them the old material.  Which is kind of a bummer, because that song is just as good too. 

But "Spiraling Uncertainties" is utterly perfect, and one of the greatest grooves to ever be written in the post-metal/post-rock world IMO.  That middle section build is just tremendous.  If one were to ever make a post-rock "greatest hits" collection, that would be on it for me without question.  It's funny to listen to this stuff now though after having listened to Show Me A Dinosaur's S/T album because they seem very, very similar to me.  It's like SMAD took Equanimity and just added vocals haha. 

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Hahaha that's my way of saying how insanely jealous I am.  The band no longer performs material from Equanimity, because A) they have a new bass player and guitarist who never knew the material, and 2) Equanimity was written in a different tuning than what they use now.  This is the same reason Shy, Low will likely never perform "Presence" because they also have a new bass player and don't really have the time or desire to teach them the old material.  Which is kind of a bummer, because that song is just as good too. 

But "Spiraling Uncertainties" is utterly perfect, and one of the greatest grooves to ever be written in the post-metal/post-rock world IMO.  That middle section build is just tremendous.  If one were to ever make a post-rock "greatest hits" collection, that would be on it for me without question.  It's funny to listen to this stuff now though after having listened to Show Me A Dinosaur's S/T album because they seem very, very similar to me.  It's like SMAD took Equanimity and just added vocals haha. 

Wow. I saw them just after Equinamity was released. Was in this basement club type thing in DC. I think it was called The Pinch. I've seen them twice after that and didn't even think about the reason why nothing from Equanamity was played. 

Hearing Caspian open a show with "Fire Made Flesh" was insane.  Also getting to see "The Heart That Fed" live was pretty special considering the rarity.

First time ever hearing ITTCT & being won over with "What's In the Ground..." is a standout.

The entire 4-song set of Sleepmakeswaves live was one of the most intense things ever.

And probably just getting to see Cloudkicker live at all is up there for me.  Especially the 2nd time when they really found their groove live.

Those two Ranges singles are pretty damn good. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album. I just tried to order the EU version from dunk! But couldn't get past putting in my address? Any ideas? I've never been barred from purchasing from a European store because my address is in the US. 

17 hours ago, PigeonsPlayingWhatNow said:

Those two Ranges singles are pretty damn good. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album. I just tried to order the EU version from dunk! But couldn't get past putting in my address? Any ideas? I've never been barred from purchasing from a European store because my address is in the US. 

I've ordered from Dunk a number of times, try a different browser or make sure your country is properly selected?  Wout is also great at getting back to you for questions. 

20 hours ago, mrewest said:

Hearing Caspian open a show with "Fire Made Flesh" was insane.  Also getting to see "The Heart That Fed" live was pretty special considering the rarity.

First time ever hearing ITTCT & being won over with "What's In the Ground..." is a standout.

The entire 4-song set of Sleepmakeswaves live was one of the most intense things ever.

And probably just getting to see Cloudkicker live at all is up there for me.  Especially the 2nd time when they really found their groove live.

Not making it to Caspian's fall tour last year is still a major kick in the teeth for me.  Same with SMW.  I can't even imagine.  Those Aussies have some of the most intense music I'll likely ever hear in my life.  I wish you guys all had the chance to see Meniscus...  that was some god-tier stuff, without exaggeration. 

So you saw ITTCT before you had listened to their music, is that what you're saying?

Yeah I had never heard of ITTCT and they opened for Russian Circles.  That was early in my post-rock days so I really only knew RC.  And I was more amazed they were from Akron; 20 minutes from where I live.  Biggest vinyl regret ever was having the white haze tour press of AtE in my hands before they played.  Went back after they played & it was sold out.  Had to fork out $60+ later on to get that same record for the collection later on.

51 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Yeah I had never heard of ITTCT and they opened for Russian Circles.  That was early in my post-rock days so I really only knew RC.  And I was more amazed they were from Akron; 20 minutes from where I live.  Biggest vinyl regret ever was having the white haze tour press of AtE in my hands before they played.  Went back after they played & it was sold out.  Had to fork out $60+ later on to get that same record for the collection later on.

Oh man, that's crazy!  That must have been world-shattering.  Plus they only had stuff from the first 2 records to play then, yeah? 

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

I think they just played Malabar.  But I def heard Signal Tree at a different show of theirs.

Congratulations, you are now also on the "I hate you.  So much.   So so much" list XD 

I think Signal Tree might be my favorite track from the EP.  But that whole thing is literally perfect. 

1 hour ago, PigeonsPlayingWhatNow said:

So who's seen Dust Moth live? They're playing with Mustard Gas and Roses soon near me and I'd love to see both bands. I'm embarrassingly not familiar with Dust Moth. I'm in for a good time, no?

I don't think I've ever listened to Dust Moth either.... but MGR should be pretty rocking. 

You guys check the new Ranges single out yet?  Prettttttttty gooooood.  http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2017/09/15/exclusive-premiere-embark-past-ranges-seven-veils/

On 14.9.2017 at 2:03 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

So, this is curious.  I just realized that the version of "They'll Come, They Come" by Immanu El that i've been listening on Youtube forever is the original mix/recording...   and not the version they did when it was finally pressed to vinyl in 2013. 

I think I prefer the original....  

My words from day one...

On 9/16/2017 at 6:22 AM, Sasan said:

My words from day one...

Yeah I remember you saying that.  Apparently the band wanted to press it to vinyl, but their computer crashed and they lost all of the files.  I shot them a quick message, because I was curious about the 10th anniversary advertisements on their page.  They said that they recorded the album over because they weren't happy with the sound, and that the new version is more accurate to how they play them live.  In fact, they said that the 2nd version features the band playing live in the studio, with just vocal overdubs.  So, it seems that it was a combination of factors that lead to them simply doing it all over. 

I prefer the original because it has a more raw, underground sound that offers a really cool counterpoint to the ethereal music they make.  The new version is still good, but a little bit too over-produced and too clean in my opinion. 

In other news, a new (old) Au Revoir track!!!  This is also pretty damn good!

https://aurevoirit.bandcamp.com/track/sundowning

So.... did you guys know about this?

https://kokomoband.bandcamp.com/album/euryale-terraformer-kokomo

Apparently it's a collaboration between Terraformer and Kokomo?  There's no info on Bandcamp about it at all... and it's not on Discogs so it was never a physical release it seems.  But man, these songs are fucking good!

8 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

So.... did you guys know about this?

https://kokomoband.bandcamp.com/album/euryale-terraformer-kokomo

Apparently it's a collaboration between Terraformer and Kokomo?  There's no info on Bandcamp about it at all... and it's not on Discogs so it was never a physical release it seems.  But man, these songs are fucking good!

Pretty awesome release.  And it was/is a physical release as I own it.  Weird it didn't pop up on discogs.  Found 6 copies of it and its also on Dunks store as I believe the only way to get it is from overseas.  

Just now, stillused said:

Pretty awesome release.  And it was/is a physical release as I own it.  Weird it didn't pop up on discogs.  Found 6 copies of it and its also on Dunks store as I believe the only way to get it is from overseas.  

Oh shit, I didn't even think to search by release name.  I was looking under Terraformer and Kokomo haha.  Thank you!!!!  Going on the list!

Sorry for the double post but I just scored ITTCT Bones of a Dying World "Cool Grey" pressing for $24 shipped from Hong Kong!! It was listed for 10 euros!  I got a message after I placed the order saying it was a listing error but they'd give it to me anyways. 

Is ONLY the hype sticker numbered for these copies? I looked on discogs and couldn't find any indication of a numbering anywhere other than the hype sticker. 

On 9/19/2017 at 12:01 PM, PigeonsPlayingWhatNow said:

Sorry for the double post but I just scored ITTCT Bones of a Dying World "Cool Grey" pressing for $24 shipped from Hong Kong!! It was listed for 10 euros!  I got a message after I placed the order saying it was a listing error but they'd give it to me anyways. 

Is ONLY the hype sticker numbered for these copies? I looked on discogs and couldn't find any indication of a numbering anywhere other than the hype sticker. 

Wow that's a hell of a deal.  Nice score!  Yes that is the only thing numbered.