Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

So I've overall been very lukewarm on Set & Setting, with only mildly liking a few songs from them & thinking everything else is extremely vanilla, but holy shit is "Essence of Paradox" incredible.  I made a Dunk playlist & just put everything on shuffle.  That song came on & I couldn't believe these guys were capable of that.  Wish I liked most of the rest of their catalogue 1/10th as much as that song.

4 hours ago, mrewest said:

So I've overall been very lukewarm on Set & Setting, with only mildly liking a few songs from them & thinking everything else is extremely vanilla, but holy shit is "Essence of Paradox" incredible.  I made a Dunk playlist & just put everything on shuffle.  That song came on & I couldn't believe these guys were capable of that.  Wish I liked most of the rest of their catalogue 1/10th as much as that song.

Equanimity is incredible, man.  You should put "Spiraling Uncertainties" on and play it VERY loud.  If you don't fall in love with that song, well... I don't know what ot say haha.  Unfortunately, they don't play Equanimity material anymore due to member changes and that record being in a different tuning than A Vivid Memory and Reflectionless. 

2 hours ago, MayCauseDeath said:

Cult of Luna - Eternal Kingdom is finally getting a repress! Pre orders haven't been put up yet but its been confirmed by the band for a December release. 

Saw this today.  Glad I held out on paying astronomical prices for this and Salvation.  All good things come to those who wait.  The Salvation represses sound fucking incredible, so I have high hopes for this masterpiece as well. 

13 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Equanimity is incredible, man.  You should put "Spiraling Uncertainties" on and play it VERY loud.  If you don't fall in love with that song, well... I don't know what ot say haha.  Unfortunately, they don't play Equanimity material anymore due to member changes and that record being in a different tuning than A Vivid Memory and Reflectionless. 

Saw this today.  Glad I held out on paying astronomical prices for this and Salvation.  All good things come to those who wait.  The Salvation represses sound fucking incredible, so I have high hopes for this masterpiece as well. 

Yeah Spiraling Uncertainties didn't do much for me lol.  I checked it out after you were spazzing over it.  It's decent, & could see it being awesome live, but overall I didn't love it.

39 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Yeah Spiraling Uncertainties didn't do much for me lol.  I checked it out after you were spazzing over it.  It's decent, & could see it being awesome live, but overall I didn't love it.

Wait, for real?  That blows my mind haha.  Maybe you did it wrong :P  That middle build-up is so righteous.  One of the best things in post-rock IMO.  What are  your feelings on "Descending Sun" and "Coping" then from A Vivid Memory?   They did "Descending Sun" at Dunk and i'm pretty sure they'll play it again.  They're also doing a new song too!  I can understand your point though because I remember Matt posting about Equanimity like 2 years ago and I checked it out and was totally non-plussed.  Same thing with "Departure Songs" so it's funny how tastes can change over time. 

Also, as for the picture, Kit's original response included a question mark after "Excited to play" so that's why I said I would totally help out if needed.  Kit and I are good friends, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch :)    Just trying to help out is all! 

I am really bummed about the new drummer though because he is light-years ahead of the guy they had on S/T, who wasn't a bad drummer by any means, but he just literally played the same pattern on almost every song.  If you check out that record, the beat on "Time Destroys Everything" is in just about every other song when a full drum beat is used.  The guy they have on These Small Spaces is a monster, and hearing him play the old material on some of their live streams was very refreshing. 

Set and Setting are tremendous live. They never pass up Richmond when touring the East Coast.

The Kokomo/Terraformer split is great, esp the first two tracks. They just seem more suited to live than vinyl, which of course will never happen.

Somehow I missed "Red Sky Morning" by Ghost Of Sailors At Sea from April 2017 (did the split with Cavallo, which honestly, I am meh on both bands' tracks. Well, disappointed as Cavallo's prior tracks to that split are all excellent)

I wasn't expecting much, but after 2 listens through, I've been in this business long enough to know I'm going to end up caving on vinyl down the road sometime.

I don't know how many here will be into it - but it shares elements of bands like Giraffes?Giraffes! Te', and LITE (the guitar work back and forth) and akin to Enemies, Vasudeva, etc - more mathy and rock elements than noodling or jazz.

Red Sky Morning

16 hours ago, drds89 said:

Set and Setting are tremendous live. They never pass up Richmond when touring the East Coast.

The Kokomo/Terraformer split is great, esp the first two tracks. They just seem more suited to live than vinyl, which of course will never happen.

Somehow I missed "Red Sky Morning" by Ghost Of Sailors At Sea from April 2017 (did the split with Cavallo, which honestly, I am meh on both bands' tracks. Well, disappointed as Cavallo's prior tracks to that split are all excellent)

I wasn't expecting much, but after 2 listens through, I've been in this business long enough to know I'm going to end up caving on vinyl down the road sometime.

I don't know how many here will be into it - but it shares elements of bands like Giraffes?Giraffes! Te', and LITE (the guitar work back and forth) and akin to Enemies, Vasudeva, etc - more mathy and rock elements than noodling or jazz.

Red Sky Morning

I shot Kokomo a message on Facebook to ask about that split, and it seems that way back when the album came out, they did play some of those tracks together when they toured!  That must have been incredible.  Lucky audiences, for sure!

Also, CULT OF LUNA is up!!!!  Gold is the most limited at /300.  I caved and went for the hoodie package, because I could use a new hoodie, and it comes out to only being like $28, which is a great price.  Shipping was only $10 too, so that's cool. 

Also, it appears Eternal Music is still available.  What are your thoughts on this release?  I'm really not familiar with it at all. 

17 hours ago, mrewest said:

This Patch of Sky, Ranges, & Godspeed all out today.  What's everyone think?

Also Wolves In The Throne Room, Balmorhea and Wander.  Wander's new album is absolutely fantastic.  Godspeed's new album is also incredible.  But man.... RANGES!!!!  These guys have stepped up their game BIG TIME.  Their stuff is going to absolutely crush at Dunk.  I cannot wait. 

Haven't made it to TPOS yet haha. 

EDIT:  So apparently Taka from Mono has a side project and it dropped an album Friday too.  This is....  fucking incredible, man.  It's so strange and different, but familiar.  It's like post-rock meets darkwave or synthwave?  I'm not sure what you'd call this, but man.... this is righteous.  "Positive Shadow, Negative Light".  I'm telling you guys, listen to this song. 

Double edit:  I'm an idiot and forgot the link:  https://behindtheshadowdrops.bandcamp.com/

Edited by Gumbo72203

On 9/23/2017 at 4:25 PM, mrewest said:

"Seven Veils" by Ranges is amazing.  Also, "Bosses Hang" by Godspeed.  Wow.

Both of these are true statements, and likely my favorite songs on both records.

New TPOS is going to take a few more listens for me to really wrap my head around, but I liked it well-enough at first. 

Godspeed was a bit slow at first, but around Bosses Hang Pt2 I really started to enjoy it. 

Ranges is spectacular. I'm going to need a few more spins for more commentary though. 

Got my A Thousand Arms version of The Ascencionist in today. All I can say is WOW. Everything about the package is beautiful. I think I'm gonna order the Dunk! Version if they still have any. 

Edited by PigeonsPlayingWhatNow

Made it halfway through that Ranges album.  It basically exemplifies everything I find trite and forgettable about modern post-rock, down to a T.  I would give it a firm 8/10 yawns.

New Godspeed delivers.  Obviously a little disappointed the bulkier tracks were slimmed down from their live counterparts, but as someone who didn't personally listen to the live renditions on repeat, I haven't grown accustomed to either version yet.  I think that if they released the album and then played the new material with additional segments, no one would be griping.  It makes things tricky when you debut material and tour it for years and then tweak it for a studio release, though.  But Godspeed will Godspeed, and that seems to be their preferred approach, post-hiatus.  I'm just happy to have another album and I find it really consistent if not short lived.

I can't fault anyone if they think Ranges is far too formulaic.  I agree, but I also am not burned out on "classic post-rock" if it's well done.  And I personally think it's a really good album.  Same thing applies to Glories from earlier in the year.  Pretty "by-the-book" post-rock that's done exceptionally well.  I don't feel every band needs to reinvent the wheel.

In saying that, Godspeed has easily pulled ahead of Ranges for me.  I think it's a much more accessible album than previous works, which is what I was hoping for.  I don't really give a shit about field recordings and 7 minutes of nothing happening & all that nonsense so Lucifarian Towers really delivers for me.  It's great from start to finish.

This Patch of Sky has severely disappointed me.  I feel like there is so much going on in this album without anything actually happening (if that makes any sense lol).  Bella Muerte & Her Beating Wings are good but overall it's just so bland.  Hoping their Dunk performance brings the songs to life.

Also checked out Kauan yesterday & was impressed.  Got a "more epic American Dollar" vibe to it.

On 9/26/2017 at 5:08 PM, Derek™ said:

Made it halfway through that Ranges album.  It basically exemplifies everything I find trite and forgettable about modern post-rock, down to a T.  I would give it a firm 8/10 yawns.

I was a bit more kind on this and TPOS in the Instagram group, but yeah pretty much

Godspeed, Bosses Hang... been waiting for years to have something like this from them again.

On 9/26/2017 at 5:08 PM, Derek™ said:

New Godspeed delivers.  Obviously a little disappointed the bulkier tracks were slimmed down from their live counterparts, but as someone who didn't personally listen to the live renditions on repeat, I haven't grown accustomed to either version yet.  I think that if they released the album and then played the new material with additional segments, no one would be griping.  It makes things tricky when you debut material and tour it for years and then tweak it for a studio release, though.  But Godspeed will Godspeed, and that seems to be their preferred approach, post-hiatus.  I'm just happy to have another album and I find it really consistent if not short lived.

I would give the rest of the Ranges album a listen, because the back half is much better than the 2nd half.  Lesser Lights -> Seven Veils is killer.  You and Evan are right, it's totally by-the-book and doesn't reinvent the wheel but I love the grooves and the sound is impeccable.  Babylon The Great (Part 1) might be more up your alley because it certainly is a different dynamic from them (playing fast). 

It took me a few listens to really wrap my head around what's happening in the tracks because Lesser Lights kind of underwhelmed me at first, but man... that bent-note riff when the triple-guitar harmony comes in is just awesome. 

Right on about the new Godspeed though.  It's so great, but it feels boxed-in.  They didn't get the whole thing; Bosses Hang is a TITAN on stage.  Granted, they jam more live, so that's going to elongate the sections but I think they could have extended it just a bit more to make sure everybody was really satisfied. 

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

;)

I mean, yeah.  Haha.  Although maybe I should revoke my statement, because someone put all 3 parts together on Youtube and they basically equate to what the live versions are on Youtube.  Interesting.  I suppose it's simply a thing similar to Phish and other bands who make their live material different than the studio stuff.  It gives you a reason to go to the show, because each night and each version will be new and different. 

A Melbourne band is about to release their debut record on Translation Loss (US) and Pelagic (Europe). New song is great, can listen here.  I think for fans of Isis and Rosetta I suppose. Has a spacey post-rock vibe towards the end. 

Translation loss has a pretty cool variant that is Silver and Bone White Merge with Aqua Blue, Sea Blue and Olive Green Splatter, limited to 200.

The Pelagic variant is cool too, bone in clear (colour in colour).

11 hours ago, pemulis said:

A Melbourne band is about to release their debut record on Translation Loss (US) and Pelagic (Europe). New song is great, can listen here.  I think for fans of Isis and Rosetta I suppose. Has a spacey post-rock vibe towards the end. 

Translation loss has a pretty cool variant that is Silver and Bone White Merge with Aqua Blue, Sea Blue and Olive Green Splatter, limited to 200.

The Pelagic variant is cool too, bone in clear (colour in colour).

Woah.  This is really good.  The Isis influence is all over this.  Kinda reminds me of Fall of Efrafa too a bit. 

Edit:  Yeah holy fuck, this rules.  This might be a blind purchase.....  the last time I did this (PG.Lost) I got a bit burned because that album isn't nearly as strong as the first 2 singles, but man.... this has TONS of promise.  Also that splatter variant sounds like it would be incredible. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

15 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Woah.  This is really good.  The Isis influence is all over this.  Kinda reminds me of Fall of Efrafa too a bit. 

Edit:  Yeah holy fuck, this rules.  This might be a blind purchase.....  the last time I did this (PG.Lost) I got a bit burned because that album isn't nearly as strong as the first 2 singles, but man.... this has TONS of promise.  Also that splatter variant sounds like it would be incredible. 

For what it's worth, I think they are one of the best bands in Australia right now.  I hope their record lives up to their performances.

I'm an idiot, I didn't even add in their name. For everyone else, their band name is: YLVA.