Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

13 hours ago, pemulis said:

For what it's worth, I think they are one of the best bands in Australia right now.  I hope their record lives up to their performances.

I'm an idiot, I didn't even add in their name. For everyone else, their band name is: YLVA.

Can you speak to what the other songs on the album are like, then?  Do they ever get spacey/melodic like Rosetta or late-era Isis?

4 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Ho.  Li.  Shit.  This new live Pet Slimmers song is fucking massive.

https://youtu.be/UG1Fkh8NRgY

Throwing this up once I finish spinning Oh Hiroshima.  Fantastic record, but the pressing is a good deal muddy/muffled in parts.  Still 100% kick ass though. 

16 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Can you speak to what the other songs on the album are like, then?  Do they ever get spacey/melodic like Rosetta or late-era Isis?

Wish I could. That released song is the only recording i've heard. But that song is pretty consistent with their live set. So I've got hope that the full length is going to be fantastic.

3 hours ago, pemulis said:

Wish I could. That released song is the only recording i've heard. But that song is pretty consistent with their live set. So I've got hope that the full length is going to be fantastic.

Oh yeah no i was meaning their live sets lol because you'd hear the other tunes.  Just curious what the rest of their catalog sounds like!

Also, to bring up something I think Derek mentioned a long time ago about Lights and Motion copying an EITS lick, I'm spinning "Chronicle" right now and it's either "Particle Storm" or "As The World Goes Away" that takes the ending of "Burial On The Presidio Banks" and adds like one more note to give it a major key resolution feel.  Kinda funny.

2 hours ago, stillused said:

I saw Russian Circles last night in Asheville and they put on a great show.  My first time seeing them and hopefully not my last.  

I can't wait to see them at Dunk because Afrika rules and it's going to destroy. 

Also, is there anybody else besides me and Evan going to Dunk?

Dunk has been amazing!!!!  I wish more of you were here.  Checking in real quick before a quick little power nap before Day 2.  Another crushing lineup awaits. 

I took a picture with Trish from TEOTO while wearing a Sunlight Ascending shirt I got from Don.  My life is complete now. 

Well, that was fucking incredible.  Got to meet and hang with the one and only mrewest and his brother.  Total blast. 

Some early highlights - During the Junius set, about 4 songs in, Ryan (Evan's brother) comes back over to us and states quite emphatically:  "This is awesome!  I'm never trusting your description of bands again!"   Also somewhere during Junius' set:   Evan leans over to me and says something like "I've got the perfect description for this in your style:  It's like if hell had a dance party!  It's heavy, but you want to dance!  Uh oh... I'm starting to think in Gumbo!"   haha.  It was great. 

Also, The End of the Ocean.  That's a hard "Nope!" on having any words to describe their set.  Just, nope.  Not even.  Evan got a classic "!!!!!" text from me not even 20 seconds in.   Go see this band. 

On 10/8/2017 at 12:09 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Dunk has been amazing!!!!  I wish more of you were here.  Checking in real quick before a quick little power nap before Day 2.  Another crushing lineup awaits. 

I took a picture with Trish from TEOTO while wearing a Sunlight Ascending shirt I got from Don.  My life is complete now. 

Awesome, I knew those shirts and CDs found a good home, and I'm sure you made Trish's day. Hopefully she signed it in red lipstick or something ;)

Forbsie tried to get ERR to put a SWAK on my Kitsune album jacket she signed way back when, but she wasn't wearing black lipstick that night, haha.

22279424_10212629673930434_3055887697305

In love, hahaha.  She's so cool.  It was truly wonderful to get a chance to talk to her about Sunlight Ascending and the history and all that.  She had seen the picture I took of "All The Memories, All At Once" for my drive up to Burlington, and apparently there is another variant of it that they made before they did the brown one with the owl that.  So, I've got some more digging to do haha. 

23 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Well, that was fucking incredible.  Got to meet and hang with the one and only mrewest and his brother.  Total blast. 

Some early highlights - During the Junius set, about 4 songs in, Ryan (Evan's brother) comes back over to us and states quite emphatically:  "This is awesome!  I'm never trusting your description of bands again!"   Also somewhere during Junius' set:   Evan leans over to me and says something like "I've got the perfect description for this in your style:  It's like if hell had a dance party!  It's heavy, but you want to dance!  Uh oh... I'm starting to think in Gumbo!"   haha.  It was great. 

Also, The End of the Ocean.  That's a hard "Nope!" on having any words to describe their set.  Just, nope.  Not even.  Evan got a classic "!!!!!" text from me not even 20 seconds in.   Go see this band. 

Haha it was def great getting to hang!  Not only was I wrong on Junius, but the best was telling some random dude "Ah yeah Coastlands is this real chill ambient band with some climactic moments" & then they were just a singular explosion of sound their entire set.  It was a completely different band live than recorded.  I was actually hoping for a nice chill set, especially after End of the Ocean just destroyed us all.  It just all kind of blended together.

Junius was by far the biggest surprise of the fest.  Didn't care for them much beforehand but the live show put them in a whole new light (literally & figuratively).  Now I'm jamming the hell out of them!  That new album is amazing.  

This Patch of Sky was my fav of the weekend.  That shit exceeded the hype I had in my own head.  "Time Destroys Everything..." & "Bella Muerte" crushed me!  

So many stunning performances.  I can't say anyone really disappointed.  It was amazing finally seeing Unconditional Arms.  They were as good as I had hoped!  End of the Ocean is still top-tier.  Au Revoir, Appalaches, Of the Vine, all stellar.  The new Tides of Man songs were next level & I am real hyped for their new album.  

That pre-Dunk show on Friday was real good as well.  Lehnen & Man Mountain are no joke!  Y'all definitely need to check them out!

Such an awesome weekend, with new found appreciation for Gumbo!  haha

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

Spinning Of the Vine right now.  Highly recommended if you just want to zone out & get washed over by ambient/wall-of-sound jams.  Real good stuff.

Regretting not picking that up....  I'll have to snag it from the band at some point. 

Also, if anybody else is on here, Ranges live stream is happening right now!

Hey guys, we are now one month out from the new Shipwrecks LP coming!!!  USA residents can get the vinyl through A Thousand Arms (check that thread) and you can stream the first song, called "Monument".  I'm loving this stuff, and I think you guys will also.

On another note, last night during the Ranges and Man Mountain live stream (omg, that new Man Mountain material....) someone mentioned the band Sejd from Sweden.  If you guys haven't checked this out, you should do that also.  Similar to the new Ranges album in style, but they incorporate other instruments which gives it a very neat flavor.  Just really solid, well-done post-rock that lies more in low-dynamic chill range before breaking out into explosive peaks, not unlike Young Mountain, The Ascensionist, or Monophonic-era Pray For Sound.  Definitely give this a look. 

https://sejd.bandcamp.com/

On 10/10/2017 at 7:17 PM, mrewest said:

Spinning Of the Vine right now.  Highly recommended if you just want to zone out & get washed over by ambient/wall-of-sound jams.  Real good stuff.

I am an fucking idiot for not picking this up.  I had only listened to one song prior, and I'm playing it now.... and wow, this is wonderful. 

On 10/11/2017 at 4:32 PM, mrewest said:

Looks like Man Mountain is streaming the set again tonight as well.  Got Tribe baseball tonight so I'll have to miss it again.

https://www.facebook.com/ManMountainMusic/posts/1019564348184163:0

Their new material absolutely crushes.  Really good stuff.  The stream last night didn't pan out, but their set from Spacebar in Ohio is up, and man... it's so good.  Really excited about this album.  Very jealous you got to see them on Friday! 

I know you guys hate it when I freak out over stuff, but man... I discovered a couple new groups over the past few days that I just cannot get enough of!!!  Oddly enough, they both come from Scandinavia. 

First is Mumrunner, from Finland.  They play a post-hardcore kinda thing sorta similar to Te, almost, but more melodic, and have some dreamy vocals ala Immanu El.  This is a potent combination for me.  Their latest EP is quite short, but man.... these songs are killer.  It just blows right through.  Track 3 is my favorite, but this was a band like Pray For Sound where literally 10 seconds in, I knew this was going to be a new favorite. 

https://mumrunner.bandcamp.com/album/gentle-slopes

Next up is a band called Sejd, from Sweden.  They are more traditional post-rock, but mix things up by incorporating some different instruments at times, and it gives everything a very fresh sound.  They are similar to the latest Ranges album in terms of pacing and style, I find. 

Please give these a listen!

On 10/13/2017 at 7:37 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

I know you guys hate it when I freak out over stuff, but man... I discovered a couple new groups over the past few days that I just cannot get enough of!!!  Oddly enough, they both come from Scandinavia. 

First is Mumrunner, from Finland.  They play a post-hardcore kinda thing sorta similar to Te, almost, but more melodic, and have some dreamy vocals ala Immanu El.  This is a potent combination for me.  Their latest EP is quite short, but man.... these songs are killer.  It just blows right through.  Track 3 is my favorite, but this was a band like Pray For Sound where literally 10 seconds in, I knew this was going to be a new favorite. 

https://mumrunner.bandcamp.com/album/gentle-slopes

Next up is a band called Sejd, from Sweden.  They are more traditional post-rock, but mix things up by incorporating some different instruments at times, and it gives everything a very fresh sound.  They are similar to the latest Ranges album in terms of pacing and style, I find. 

Please give these a listen!

No way. You and Evan had to conspire about Mumrunner at Dunk, because HE discovered them and bought both the EPs, what, last year sometime, Evan?

I had to give him a hard time about it, because they are Shoegaze/Nugaze, not postrock, Muse or Deftones ;):D

They are awesome and very affordable with shipping.

I'm curious how you guys found them, I can't bandcamp right now, do they have a postrock tag or something???

The last few years I've been buying vinyl at like 1:1 or 2:1 -- Shoegaze: Postrock/everything else. Have a good amount of digital postrock that I like, but space and time are limited to what I'm really going to play and  pass down vs. collect dust.

Funny enough Gumbo & I never even discussed Mumrunner at Dunk haha.  But yeah I've been very high on them since earlier this year.  I actually stumbled across them listening to a random Spotify generated playlist.  One song is all it took to hook me.

Gumbo, you're probably gonna be pissed to learn Gentle Slopes was available in the bins Dunk brought along at the fest.  Woulda snagged myself if I didn't already have it.  But you gotta listen to their first EP, Full Blossom.  Even better than GS imo. But as Don said both EPs should still be available for cheap online.  Even with overseas shipping I think I got both <$30 total.

22 hours ago, drds89 said:

No way. You and Evan had to conspire about Mumrunner at Dunk, because HE discovered them and bought both the EPs, what, last year sometime, Evan?

I had to give him a hard time about it, because they are Shoegaze/Nugaze, not postrock, Muse or Deftones ;):D

They are awesome and very affordable with shipping.

I'm curious how you guys found them, I can't bandcamp right now, do they have a postrock tag or something???

The last few years I've been buying vinyl at like 1:1 or 2:1 -- Shoegaze: Postrock/everything else. Have a good amount of digital postrock that I like, but space and time are limited to what I'm really going to play and  pass down vs. collect dust.

18 hours ago, mrewest said:

Funny enough Gumbo & I never even discussed Mumrunner at Dunk haha.  But yeah I've been very high on them since earlier this year.  I actually stumbled across them listening to a random Spotify generated playlist.  One song is all it took to hook me.

Gumbo, you're probably gonna be pissed to learn Gentle Slopes was available in the bins Dunk brought along at the fest.  Woulda snagged myself if I didn't already have it.  But you gotta listen to their first EP, Full Blossom.  Even better than GS imo. But as Don said both EPs should still be available for cheap online.  Even with overseas shipping I think I got both <$30 total.

Hahaha so maybe 2 or 3 days after Dunk, a friend of mine posted them to my wall.  She was like "DO YOU EVEN KNOW MUMRUNNER!?"  And I didn't.  So I listened.  And within 10 seconds of that opening track, I was hooked.  They just had the sound.  I loved that opening song especially because it had some more dancey drums behind it, something that I feel is sorely missing in the post-rock/shoegaze realm. 

Funnily enough, later on that night I posted about them in this Facebook group I'm a member of for sharing music, and shortly after CJ just quietly posts the A Thousand Arms link to Gentle Slopes haha.  It was there the whole time!  He has one he's holding for me once those PG.Lost represses ship in, whenever that happens. 

Which is just as well.... because I really didn't need to spend another $12 on a record.  My bank account is hurting right now, big time!  But I will listen to that other EP and get back to you, because Gentle Slopes is absolutely awesome.