Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

On 11/14/2017 at 8:05 AM, Sasan said:

Never heard of them before...listening to this as I write....love how the drums come in at ~3:40! :wub:

Wait.... are you serious?  You don't know "Canopy"?  If this is true.... duuuuuuude.  I would put it in the top 10 post-rock albums ever.  Without question.  Silent Whale Becomes A Dream is incredible stuff.  Incredible stuff.  And yes, that tom tom beat that comes in by 4 minutes!!!

Also, I don't know if any of you guys are familiar with this band, but they're 'doomgaze' and this stuff is absolutely FLOORING me right now.  Maybe it's because it's so dreary and gloomy in New York right now and I'm sick and everything is dark and grey and slow, but this band called Outlander is hitting all the right spots right now for me. 

Please listen to this.  I don't know if you guys are into the slow stuff; I usually can't stand doom anything but man, this is damn great. 

http://arcticdrones.com/spotlight/outlander/

36 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Wait.... are you serious?  You don't know "Canopy"?  If this is true.... duuuuuuude.  I would put it in the top 10 post-rock albums ever.  Without question.  Silent Whale Becomes A Dream is incredible stuff. 

Wanna edit your top 15? ;)

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/94703-post-vc-official-post-rockpost-metal-discussion/?page=61

14 hours ago, mrewest said:

Lol @ our "grand ideas" for the mega post-rock thread

I don’t think they were comically ambitious.  If we’re going to lol at anything, it’s the lack of commitment and general flakiness of everyone involved.  I think there were some cool ideas that I wouldn’t mind seeing brought to light, today.  I’ll come out and say that I’m as guilty as anyone else for losing the spark – I think the general morale dwindled pretty badly during the stretch of time that the thread was deemed “ruined” by a specific individual or two.  And Juan’s recreation of the thread (and use of the first post) certainly doesn’t make this one any easier to coordinate or plan around, since page 1’s first few posts are so critical.

On 11/18/2017 at 1:55 AM, mrewest said:

Lol @ our "grand ideas" for the mega post-rock thread

was just looking back at all those lists and saw that you had Sagarmatha in yours.  That's my favorite Appleseed Cast album but I feel like nobody else ever talks about it. 

Also I'm kind of surprised to see so many people putting "Sines" ahead of "Solace".  Not that "Sines" isn't absolutely legendary but I kind of always assumed people held "Solace" in higher regard. 

20 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I don’t think they were comically ambitious.  If we’re going to lol at anything, it’s the lack of commitment and general flakiness of everyone involved.  I think there were some cool ideas that I wouldn’t mind seeing brought to light, today.  I’ll come out and say that I’m as guilty as anyone else for losing the spark – I think the general morale dwindled pretty badly during the stretch of time that the thread was deemed “ruined” by a specific individual or two.  And Juan’s recreation of the thread (and use of the first post) certainly doesn’t make this one any easier to coordinate or plan around, since page 1’s first few posts are so critical.

That's actually what I meant haha.  The ideas were amazing, but we literally followed through with zero % of it.

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

was just looking back at all those lists and saw that you had Sagarmatha in yours.  That's my favorite Appleseed Cast album but I feel like nobody else ever talks about it. 

Also I'm kind of surprised to see so many people putting "Sines" ahead of "Solace".  Not that "Sines" isn't absolutely legendary but I kind of always assumed people held "Solace" in higher regard. 

Yeah it's funny because you can kind of see some of the albums I was obsessing over at the time.  I was very late to the Appleseed Cast party so when I got into Sagarmatha, I thought it was one of the best albums I ever heard.  I do still think it's my fav AC album, but not sure it would make another top 15 list.  I also don't know if I'd keep Toe in there.  And I would swap Cloudkicker albums with Subsume.

Speaking of Cloudkicker, since he's been on an extended hiatus due to some mad adulting, I'm always looking for something to fill that void.  The man himself recently posted this album by another solo act that goes by Frequency Eater.  As Ben put it, it has heavy The Map is not the Territory era vibes.  Totally agree, but I think this album even ups Ben's intensity & it's a killer album.  The last song is essentially a cover of CK's "You Could Laugh Forever...", but I honestly might like this version better.

http://frequencyeater.bandcamp.com/album/finite-states

7 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Surprised nobody else here is posting about Athletics....

I had it in my cart, checked out via paypal.... only to be redirected back to the InTheClouds page saying the album was sold out.  It took literally about 3 minutes for all 100 to sell.  That was so immeasurably frustrating. 

I lucked out & snagged one when they went on sale.  Had to replace my OG I sold a bit back.  Thought you got an OG freebie from Dan??

1 hour ago, Thomas³ said:

Evan, I'm sure you already have it, but I picked up a copy of the new ITTCT for $10 today at the Exchange in Fairlawn. I'm sure they all have it in their clearance section now.

This sounds like something I could benefit from if I hadn't left Pittsburgh