Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

10 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Gonna watch this today.  Shoulda gotten to Dunk a day early!  They killed it at that tiny-ass bar they played.  I think my brother & I were the only 2 there to actually watch them haha.  Bar was full of what appeared to be regulars & other band members (& that one Dunk rep).

Also, you posted about Yndi Halda.  I think I only casually listened to them once & it didn’t move the needle for me, but I just saw they were coming sorta near me to a venue I’ve never been to.  Gonna revist today & might consider that show.

Yeahhhh I reallllllly regret not just skipping class that day and going up early.  Grrrrrrr!!!

Also, I thought ALL of you guys here flipped shit over Yndi Halda?  I remember Derek gave me some grief a while ago for not liking it haha.  They're very good.... just not my usual cup of tea.  To me, they're basically the sunny Godspeed, the other side of that coin.  "Golden Threads from the Sun" is incredible though, I can't get enough of that tune. 

Given that they're from the UK and a stalwart of the scene, I feel obligated to check them out.  Also I'm sure it will totally crush live.  That was like Godspeed for me... yeah I always liked it on record, but man.... seeing them live is a whole different experience. 

26 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeahhhh I reallllllly regret not just skipping class that day and going up early.  Grrrrrrr!!!

Also, I thought ALL of you guys here flipped shit over Yndi Halda?  I remember Derek gave me some grief a while ago for not liking it haha.  They're very good.... just not my usual cup of tea.  To me, they're basically the sunny Godspeed, the other side of that coin.  "Golden Threads from the Sun" is incredible though, I can't get enough of that tune. 

Given that they're from the UK and a stalwart of the scene, I feel obligated to check them out.  Also I'm sure it will totally crush live.  That was like Godspeed for me... yeah I always liked it on record, but man.... seeing them live is a whole different experience. 

Just finished that Man Mountain set & yep it’s killer.  Here’s a direct link if anyone wants to watch.  Just skip to about the 18:00 mark because it’s them setting up before that.

I know Yndi has been a big deal for most people but they’re just a band I haven’t given time to (much like Mono, Mogwai...yeah I know I’m a shitty post-rock fan lol).  But listening now!

7 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Just finished that Man Mountain set & yep it’s killer.  Here’s a direct link if anyone wants to watch.  Just skip to about the 18:00 mark because it’s them setting up before that.

I know Yndi has been a big deal for most people but they’re just a band I haven’t given time to (much like Mono, Mogwai...yeah I know I’m a shitty post-rock fan lol).  But listening now!

I feel you on Mogwai....  they're stuff is definitely very good and some of it I really love, but there's stuff I'd much prefer to listen to over them.  However, Mono is fucking incredible.  You should get on that. 

I'm kinda that way with Explosions in the Sky tho.  They're good, but I just don't really care that much haha

33 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Apparently that Yndi Halda show is only $10????  On the wife’s birthday though so I’ have to try & convince her to go haha.  But this honestly sounds more like the kind of post-rock she enjoys (mellow jams w/strings).

Yeah dude.... that's why I'm going.  It's stupid cheap.  It will be a good short.  Staghorn is decent too, I checked a little bit of their stuff out.  I'm stoked cuz Wess Meets West is playing with them in CT.  Lot of good post-rock shows coming up in the next few months:  Appalaches/Wess Meets West/Harborlights next Friday in Burlington, Yndi Halda on 2/25, Godspeed 3/5, Arrowhead/Au Revoir/Harborlights/Pray For Sound on 4/29.... and then Dunk! 

9 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Also, I thought ALL of you guys here flipped shit over Yndi Halda?  I remember Derek gave me some grief a while ago for not liking it haha.

8 hours ago, mrewest said:

I know Yndi has been a big deal for most people but they’re just a band I haven’t given time to (much like Mono, Mogwai...yeah I know I’m a shitty post-rock fan lol).

Yndi Halda absolutely lives up to the hype. I am a shameless Yndi superfan and will likely always be. (Evan, how could you make such a mistake!)

3 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

Where?!

I think he means the one in Elyria, toward the end of this month.

4 hours ago, omik11303 said:

I am a shameless Yndi superfan and will likely always be.

Same.

4 hours ago, batman said:

Man, I wish Yndi was coming down here. And only $10? Fuck...

Double same.

I was going to say that I'm a little jealous of anyone getting to see Yndi live – but for $10, no less?  Color me green.

I get that a lot of people may have been off-put by their 2016 release (Under Summer).  As a whole, it's a lot more "chill and pretty" than anything they've ever done, and the emphasis on vocals probably jarred anyone waiting for them to put out new music.  But when it hits its stride, it's really its own thing.  I'd challenge anyone to find a band doing the same thing at that quality, in the last couple of years.  And 2006's Enjoy Eternal Bliss?  Come on.  Even after a decade, that record is still being discussed and regarded as one of the best "low-key" post-rock records that isn't from a household name like EITS, Mono, etc.  If you can't see what the big fuss is about that album, or feel like it's just Godspeed-lite, you simply need to spend some more time with it.

5 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Same.

Double same.

I was going to say that I'm a little jealous of anyone getting to see Yndi live – but for $10, no less?  Color me green.

I get that a lot of people may have been off-put by their 2016 release (Under Summer).  As a whole, it's a lot more "chill and pretty" than anything they've ever done, and the emphasis on vocals probably jarred anyone waiting for them to put out new music.  But when it hits its stride, it's really its own thing.  I'd challenge anyone to find a band doing the same thing at that quality, in the last couple of years.  And 2006's Enjoy Eternal Bliss?  Come on.  Even after a decade, that record is still being discussed and regarded as one of the best "low-key" post-rock records that isn't from a household name like EITS, Mono, etc.  If you can't see what the big fuss is about that album, or feel like it's just Godspeed-lite, you simply need to spend some more time with it.

Guess I better dig into the older stuff!  I enjoyed Under Summer as I was listening yesterday but I wasn’t floored.  It definitely feels like an album that needs many listens before it clicks.

59 minutes ago, Freki said:

Man, I love Under Summer. And I don't really get the Godspeed comparison. Because both have a  violinist?

At least on EEB, both Godspeed and Yndi handle some of their climaxes similarly, especially with the incorporation of strings.  Under Summer is nothing like GY!BE though.

Edited by Derek™

55 minutes ago, Freki said:

Man, I love Under Summer. And I don't really get the Godspeed comparison. Because both have a  violinist?

10 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Long songs and a violin, and are more avant garde.  When I read you saying Godspeed-Lite, that makes me think of a band who tries to approximate Godspeed's sound but comes off as a watered down version.  That's not what I mean at all.  To me, they represent the same "source" muse or inspiration, only Godspeed expresses it in the dark way, and Yndi Halda expresses it in the light way.  Two different sides of the same coin.  I don't expect you guys to necessarily understand... i took a lot of psychedelics when I was younger, so things are rather abstract in my head ;)

Also I'm fairly certain their entire tour is that cheap...  make the drive if they're close! 

Ok so I listened to all of Enjoy Eternal Bliss just now.  I got through the first 3 songs and was wondering what the hell is wrong with me because I could tell there is a lot of epic shit going on here but it just wasn’t connecting.  But then holy shit, that closer.  “Illuminate My Heart, My Darling!” might be the best long-ass song I’ve ever heard, to put it ignorantly haha.

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

Ok so I listened to all of Enjoy Eternal Bliss just now.  I got through the first 3 songs and was wondering what the hell is wrong with me because I could tell there is a lot of epic shit going on here but it just wasn’t connecting.  But then holy shit, that closer.  “Illuminate My Heart, My Darling!” might be the best long-ass song I’ve ever heard, to put it ignorantly haha.

For me, anyway, that record gets better and better over time.  I grabbed it back in 2008 when I was diving headfirst into post-rock, so I was pummeled over the head with crescendos and 12 minute tracks that slowly crept into a massive payoff.  It got lost in my iTunes for a few years, but after taking a break from a lot of post-rock, I revisited it and found it a lot more cohesive than I had remembered.  Your mileage may vary and I know that you and I personally share very little overlap with our favorite artists in this wide genre, but it’s cool that you gave them another go.  I really do imagine they’re immense, live.

18 hours ago, mrewest said:

That's kind of how I feel about Under Summer.  I mean, it's all very good and enjoyable, but the only track that really makes me flip out, or "connects" as you put it, would be "Golden Threads from the Sun".  But man, do I love that song!

Very excited to hear them live.  Also very curious to hear the new single.  They call it an EP, but it's one song... so that's a single to me XD  

Also, I'm working my way through the Man Mountain set again.  This stuff is so fantastic, and hearing Memory Trace live is damn great. 

On a different topic, where do you guys stand on the new Shipwrecks LP?  I managed to secure a promo copy of the CD so I've been spinning it more in my car, and I'm very impressed with the progression they made over the debut EP.  It's very by-the-books post-rock, reminding me of Spurv without the strings, but I think it's very well-written and powerful stuff.  I'm not sure we ever talked about it here!

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

On a different topic, where do you guys stand on the new Shipwrecks LP?  I managed to secure a promo copy of the CD so I've been spinning it more in my car, and I'm very impressed with the progression they made over the debut EP.  It's very by-the-books post-rock, reminding me of Spurv without the strings, but I think it's very well-written and powerful stuff.  I'm not sure we ever talked about it here!

It's good. Really good. I got my vinyl in yesterday actually along with Blak and Astralia from A1KA. It was in my top-10 last year. (I would disagree actually that it's "by the books," and it sounds like you would agree, too, since I don't think anyone would classify Spurv as "by the books.")

Edited by omik11303

10 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

It's good. Really good. I got my vinyl in yesterday actually along with Blak and Astralia from A1KA. It was in my top-10 last year. (I would disagree actually that it's "by the books," and it sounds like you would agree, too, since I don't think anyone would classify Spurv as "by the books.")

My BLAK/SMAD package from Elusive just arrived today for me haha.  I won't have time to get to that though until Tuesday probably, unfortunately. 

However... yeah.  The Shipwrecks album rules.  When I say "by the books" i basically mean traditional-style post-rock.  Not anything different like Pray For Sound which is fast and upbeat, or Caspian which uses lots of other sounds and styles.  I often try to categorize stuff like this in my head style-wise; maybe it's a fallacious endeavor haha.  I'm glad other people are digging them though because it's so good.  They progressed so much. 

13 hours ago, omik11303 said:

New one from Sagor Som (post-metal). Haven't given it a full listen yet but it's probably great:

https://sagorsomledermotslutet.bandcamp.com/album/ii

Yeah I checked this out last week, definitely great stuff.  They do a lot of cool different things within the post-metal realm. 

If you missed this one, you need to give this a look too.  New project, hopefully more tracks surface soon because this was fantastic.  http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2018/02/05/sudden-burst-colour-add-rising-tide-bright-music-coming-british-isles/