Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

On 2/25/2018 at 4:29 PM, drds89 said:

dunk! should go right ahead and repress that jeffk asap!

edit - so their FB page says dunk! and A1KA are releasing new tunes this year 'Inadequate Shelter.'

Yes!  I will urge CJ to repress that old album.  Isn't it so great?!

In other news, last night I took my girlfriend to see Yndi Halda with Staghorn, Wess Meets West, and Mineva. 

Holy.  Fucking.  Shit.  I eat every naysaying word I ever wrote about Yndi Halda.  That was god-tier.  Their music takes on an entirely new life on stage... much like The End of The Ocean is an entirely different beast than on record.  It was utterly breathtaking.  They played 3/4 of Under Summer (unfortunately curfew prevented them from playing A Sun Colored Shaker) leaving out Helena.  I don't know if any of you have ever seen them before, but for the end of "This Very Flight" they each took up these hand-mallet things to play the ending melody.  They went around in turns, with each person playing one note of the melody after walking out into the crowd. 

It may rival "Sycamore" for the most epic ending I've ever seen.  The whole venue was held rapt and dead silence...... it was fucking incredible. 

Check out this video to see what I'm talking about: 

On 2/26/2018 at 7:53 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Holy.  Fucking.  Shit.  I eat every naysaying word I ever wrote about Yndi Halda.  That was god-tier.  Their music takes on an entirely new life on stage... much like The End of The Ocean is an entirely different beast than on record.  It was utterly breathtaking.  They played 3/4 of Under Summer (unfortunately curfew prevented them from playing A Sun Colored Shaker) leaving out Helena.  I don't know if any of you have ever seen them before, but for the end of "This Very Flight" they each took up these hand-mallet things to play the ending melody.  They went around in turns, with each person playing one note of the melody after walking out into the crowd. 

It may rival "Sycamore" for the most epic ending I've ever seen.  The whole venue was held rapt and dead silence...... it was fucking incredible. 

Check out this video to see what I'm talking about: 

HOLY CRAp that was cool. i even re-watched the last 5 minutes a second time. 

On 2/27/2018 at 11:21 PM, jlobban said:

HOLY CRAp that was cool. i even re-watched the last 5 minutes a second time. 

On 2/27/2018 at 8:39 PM, batman said:

Damn I'm jelly. 

It was so fucking epic.  The place was a tiny art space, and there was maybe about 30ish people there.  The sound was perfect, and it was perfectly intimate.  They turned all the lights off, and all that was lighting the stage was a spot-light behind the drummer and a light-rope laid around the perimeter of the "stage" area.  I have some pictures, I'll try to post them here. 

It was utterly SILENT for that ending though, which was.... special.  The audience was so quiet that even when the drummer would shift his body weight, the squeak of his throne would be super noticeable.  It was literally a perfect show.  After listening more to Under Summer, I wish they played Helena because that song is awesome.  But man... I tell you, "Golden Threads From the Sun" is an absolute MONSTER live. 

Have you guys listened to Staghorn as well?  They're rather incredible too...  they do this cool thing where each album is a story that they make a comic book to.  The "regular" music is kind of like Oathbreaker meets Deafheaven (no vocals) and then they have "interlude" passages where the story is narrated.  The music for that is more traditional post-rock; very gorgeous, meditative and uses lots of mallet percussion and a xylophone.  Their bass player also plays a mini Rhodes keyboard, as well as this like...  squeeze box organ thing?  I should have asked her what it was called, but it made for a really cool mix and vibe. 

I go on these Bandcamp hunts on occassion to find random stuff I’ve never heard of before, & came across this today.  Band’s name is “Møl”.  It’s pretty much a post-metal Deafheaven, so starting to blur lines here I suppose, but damn the guitars are beautiful here.  Shit is...wait for it...please don’t kick me out...”brootiful”.  :-P

But for real, I get some Astronoid vibes here as well, but with black metal vocals.  Feel like this can go either way with everyone here, but I’m enjoying the hell out of it first pass through.  And FYI, I don’t like Deafheaven.

http://inductiveoppressionrecords.bandcamp.com/album/ii-2

3 minutes ago, mrewest said:

I go on these Bandcamp hunts on occassion to find random stuff I’ve never heard of before, & came across this today.  Band’s name is “Møl”.  It’s pretty much a post-metal Deafheaven, so starting to blur lines here I suppose, but damn the guitars are beautiful here.  Shit is...wait for it...please don’t kick me out...”brootiful”.  :-P

But for real, I get some Astronoid vibes here as well, but with black metal vocals.  Feel like this can go either way with everyone here, but I’m enjoying the hell out of it first pass through.  And FYI, I don’t like Deafheaven.

http://inductiveoppressionrecords.bandcamp.com/album/ii-2

Love these guys, right up my alley. They came up on my radar a few months ago when they announced they were working with Holy Roar, and now they've got a full-length coming out next month: https://moeldk.bandcamp.com/album/jord-2

4 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Love these guys, right up my alley. They came up on my radar a few months ago when they announced they were working with Holy Roar, and now they've got a full-length coming out next month: https://moeldk.bandcamp.com/album/jord-2

Yeah that new song seems a little more black metal at least with the vocals.  Can’t wait to hear the whole thing.

4 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

whyyyyy??? 

Are you just not into black metal?  You should try "Gifts for the Earth" again. 

LOL also this sounds just like Deafheaven but more "bliss-y" and without blastbeats. 

Yeah I’ve given them multiple chances but they never did it for me.  I don’t like George’s vocals.  Plus I think my opinion of them is forever tainted by the first time I ever saw them (opening for Russian Circles).  Dude was all wide-eyed & drooling everywhere on stage.  And I was dead center about 2 feet away.  I was scared haha.

3 hours ago, mrewest said:

Yeah I’ve given them multiple chances but they never did it for me.  I don’t like George’s vocals.  Plus I think my opinion of them is forever tainted by the first time I ever saw them (opening for Russian Circles).  Dude was all wide-eyed & drooling everywhere on stage.  And I was dead center about 2 feet away.  I was scared haha.

Haha he got you!  It's all an act.... he's let up on that a little bit recently though; you're not the first person to have this experience.  Personally I love his shrieked vocals, but it's not even about that.  The guitar work is just phenomenal and so creative.  I do come from black and death metal though, so I'm very much attuned to that sort of thing to begin with.   "Gifts for the Earth" is such a badass riff though, I would suggest checking that one out again.  "Vertigo" also... that's got a lot more clean section stuff.  My favorite moment might be the piano in "The Pecan Tree" though.  If i can come around to Yndi Halda I'm sure Deafheaven isn't impossible for you ;) 

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Haha he got you!  It's all an act.... he's let up on that a little bit recently though; you're not the first person to have this experience.  Personally I love his shrieked vocals, but it's not even about that.  The guitar work is just phenomenal and so creative.  I do come from black and death metal though, so I'm very much attuned to that sort of thing to begin with.   "Gifts for the Earth" is such a badass riff though, I would suggest checking that one out again.  "Vertigo" also... that's got a lot more clean section stuff.  My favorite moment might be the piano in "The Pecan Tree" though.  If i can come around to Yndi Halda I'm sure Deafheaven isn't impossible for you ;) 

I’ll never say never...so we’ll see!

6 hours ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

I might be late to the party, but has anyone heard this

:

https://spotlights.bandcamp.com/album/seismic

I saw them open for Hundredth last year.  They just weren’t my thing.  Insanely loud & droney/monotone imo.  I know people were into them, but just not for me.

So, in another unknown Dunk discovery for me, I have to suggest you guys check this out.  They're a UK post-metal band called Telepathy.  They kind of approach the style in the manner of fellow Brit acts Pet Slimmers of the Year and Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster.  I like that they intersperse the heavy post-metal stuff with lots of light, cleaner segments.  It's a very nice balance.  Also, their drummer incorporates a lot more traditional metal drum patterns with his double bass work which gives it a nice flair IMO. 

Check them out!  I was very pleasantly surprised by how good these guys are. 

7 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

So, in another unknown Dunk discovery for me, I have to suggest you guys check this out.  They're a UK post-metal band called Telepathy.  They kind of approach the style in the manner of fellow Brit acts Pet Slimmers of the Year and Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster.  I like that they intersperse the heavy post-metal stuff with lots of light, cleaner segments.  It's a very nice balance.  Also, their drummer incorporates a lot more traditional metal drum patterns with his double bass work which gives it a nice flair IMO. 

Check them out!  I was very pleasantly surprised by how good these guys are. 

You had me at Pet Slimmers & Tacoma.  Definitely gonna check out.

22 hours ago, mrewest said:

edit:  Listened through twice - I think Gumbo gave a pretty darn good RIYL - plenty of postmetal heaviness with some softer interludes to break things up a bit

Track 4 is the only track with vocals - hardcore style, for those interested

This one is sticking in my head a bit, so that's usually a good sign I will be revisiting.

Edited by drds89
Post-listening

On 3/3/2018 at 8:51 PM, mrewest said:

On 3/3/2018 at 9:29 PM, drds89 said:

edit:  Listened through twice - I think Gumbo gave a pretty darn good RIYL - plenty of postmetal heaviness with some softer interludes to break things up a bit

Track 4 is the only track with vocals - hardcore style, for those interested

This one is sticking in my head a bit, so that's usually a good sign I will be revisiting.

Thanks man!  Yeah I had a feeling you guys would dig this...  Dunk is coming through with a lot of solid unknown bands this year, real excited to see these guys in May!  They take the more sublime, spacey approach to post-metal, although there are some more intense elements.  But this is opposed to the more brutal style that fellow UK residents Latitudes take in their approach (although I wish Latitudes would go spacier.... the ending of "Agonist" is the whole reason I picked that album up...). 

Also, @omik11303  My copy of that Not To Reason Why album just landed!  i got to spin it once the other day, great stuff!  Was only able to find a couple tracks on Youtube so I took a chance.  It's really varied, and the sound is fucking great on record.  The packaging is cool, with all of the extra pictures.  I need to take some time to dig through that more. 

23 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Also, @omik11303  My copy of that Not To Reason Why album just landed!  i got to spin it once the other day, great stuff!  Was only able to find a couple tracks on Youtube so I took a chance.  It's really varied, and the sound is fucking great on record.  The packaging is cool, with all of the extra pictures.  I need to take some time to dig through that more. 

Hell yeah! Great to hear! Top moments for me are probably the ending of "Monsieur" and just about all of "Give." When we made our rankings of post-rock albums from 1-10 some time ago I gave it a 9, only behind Golevka by Evpatoria Report. (I think Sings Reign Rebuilder was up there too, but I can't remember). It holds a coveted place for me, for sure. Stoked you were able to snag a copy for the collection.

1 minute ago, omik11303 said:

Hell yeah! Great to hear! Top moments for me are probably the ending of "Monsieur" and just about all of "Give." When we made our rankings of post-rock albums from 1-10 some time ago I gave it a 9, only behind Golevka by Evpatoria Report. (I think Sings Reign Rebuilder was up there too, but I can't remember). It holds a coveted place for me, for sure. Stoked you were able to snag a copy for the collection.

They actually reminded me a lot of the french band Frames and their album "In Via" which is something you should check out at some point.  But yeah, great stuff!  The fact that it came with a CD for my car sold me.  Only $10!  Picked up Luciferian Towers from the same guys too, as they had a flat rate of 3.50 for shipping.  Easy pick!

WOOHOO!  Spurv announced the new album today.  First single coming next week.  I will be doing a group-buy for this album, and I have a few spots still.  The shipping is a little wonky at the moment because we have options via Bandcamp and Tigernet, so it will depend on how many people join in that will determine where we will get them from. 

You can find the PO link on the main page with pricing information and other details.  Lets do this!