Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

Yeah....  I'd totally pick it up if I didn't have Dunk coming up soon, the Spurv group buy, and my moment of weakness where i bought the coke bottle green/bone splatter Depature Songs.  I have the album, but without a jacket and it's rather noisy but I just don't have an extra $40 laying around right now, and I don't love it as much as the WYAINE.  Unless one of you wants to get it for me and hold it until my summer job starts ;)

In other news, Coastlands just released a new track/video and this thing is pretty fucking great, I must say.  Crushing peak. 

http://hmmagazine.com/blog/hm-exclusives/hm-premiere-coastlands-premieres-new-aggressively-ambient-quiet-beneath-the-yangtze-river/

So, Jeffk just dropped their first single from the new album.  It didn't move me much at first; they've changed their sound a bit, but they get into the stuff I like about 2/3 of the way through.  Hoping it grows on me; curious to hear what the rest of the album sounds like.  Seems like a bold move by Dunk to sign and release a new album from a band that hasn't put anything out in 6 years and nobody in the USA has heard of lol. 

Check it out!

Edited by Gumbo72203

So, I saw Shy, Low last night in Salem, MA.  3 hour drive.  And then 2 exams and 3 classes today. 

They busted out "Presence" for me last night, the first time they've played it in a few years.  It was fucking transcendent.  They also busted out Light Feet as well, which was a trip!  I wish I had more memories of that song, aside from tapping my buddy because we've been laughing about how similar it is to "A Gallant Gentleman". 

Their set last night was as follows:

Dialectics, Light Feet > Presence, Dissension. 

And man.... Dissension is a fucking beast on stage.  The last half is just pure brilliance.  But I tell you.... hearing Presence live is the stuff of dreams.  This band should be as big as Caspian.  They streamed their show tonight from the Meatlocker (video is available on Facebook) and they played Dialectics, Saudade, Absence, Dissension. 

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, PigeonsPlayingWhatNow said:

Just found Toundra! holy fucking shit!kinda like  ITTCT but with strings! albums II-IV are MAJESTIC. couldn’t really get into I but everything else after that is just beautiful! 

I'm glad someone else in here is a jamband fan :D 

But yes!  Toundra is incredible.  I am seeing them in a few weeks in Belgium and am so excited.  III took me a little bit to get into, but II and IV are tops.  I am really excited about the new album because "Cobra" is a great song.  I actually forgot to check out the other new track, and will be doing that once "Presence" by Shy, Low finishes playing.  You can't interrupt that song.  It is sacred.  Speaking of, if you haven't checked out Shy, Low... you need to do that too. 

Never thought about the similarity to ITTCT but yeah, you're right... i can see that.  Very riff-oriented.  You'd probably also like Pray For Sound if you haven't checked them out yet, although they lie more on the happy side of the riff spectrum.  Shy, Low is more in the heavy riff post-rock arena, so I think you'd like them as well.  "Presence" however is straight religious-chill post-rock glory.  It gets heavy/intense at the end, but it's not riffy like a lot of their other work. 

On 4/22/2018 at 11:58 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

I'm glad someone else in here is a jamband fan :D 

But yes!  Toundra is incredible.  I am seeing them in a few weeks in Belgium and am so excited.  III took me a little bit to get into, but II and IV are tops.  I am really excited about the new album because "Cobra" is a great song.  I actually forgot to check out the other new track, and will be doing that once "Presence" by Shy, Low finishes playing.  You can't interrupt that song.  It is sacred.  Speaking of, if you haven't checked out Shy, Low... you need to do that too. 

Never thought about the similarity to ITTCT but yeah, you're right... i can see that.  Very riff-oriented.  You'd probably also like Pray For Sound if you haven't checked them out yet, although they lie more on the happy side of the riff spectrum.  Shy, Low is more in the heavy riff post-rock arena, so I think you'd like them as well.  "Presence" however is straight religious-chill post-rock glory.  It gets heavy/intense at the end, but it's not riffy like a lot of their other work. 

I actually liked the newest single more than Cobra. Don’t get me wrong, Cobra was still fantastic, I just liked the newer one more. 

from the way you’re talking about Shy, Low, it seems i’ve made a massive mistake about 6 months ago. Mustard Gas & Roses came thru Richmond, VA (where I live) and I went down to Strange Matter to see them. The bill was Shy, Low, MG&R and Dust Moth. I showed up just as MG&R started but after Shy, Low. Good news is, they’re from Richmond and I live here, so there’s a good chance I’ll get to see them soon. 

Can you recommend anything else like Toundra? I’ve found some proggier post rock but it’s not striking the same nerve that Toundra did. It might’ve been the strings....I don’t know. Anyhow, any recommendations? 

EDIT: Shy, Low = wonderful. THEY PLAYED LAST NIGHT 5 MINUTES FROM MY APARTMENT.......and I just found out about this 5 minutes ago...

Edited by PigeonsPlayingWhatNow

On 4/24/2018 at 3:52 PM, PigeonsPlayingWhatNow said:

EDIT: Shy, Low = wonderful. THEY PLAYED LAST NIGHT 5 MINUTES FROM MY APARTMENT.......and I just found out about this 5 minutes ago...

Shy, Low is incredible.  That show lead to the breakup of me and my girlfriend... so it's a bit of a sour point now.  Always balancing the scales, the universe is....    You want to see your favorite post-rock song that they're going to play just for you, 3 hours from your house, on a school night?  Okay, but you're losing your girlfriend over it.  I hate my life sometimes.

Anyway, sorry to hear you missed the gig.  It will be some time now before they play again because one of the guitar players is in Au Revoir and they're going to Europe for a spell next month. 

Everything they've released is stellar, but my favorites are Presence and Nostos.  But literally, every song they've ever written slays.  The new EP material is also an absolute titan on stage.  Blows the studio versions out of the water. 

As for other bands like Toundra....   ehhhh, I'm not sure there's really that many.  You can try Pray For Sound, they get into some of that real fast riffy post-rock sometimes, but they're more happy whereas Toundra is heavy.  The other people in here would have to chime in, because I really don't know.  I'm assuming you already know Pelican and Russian Circles. 

14 hours ago, Freki said:

Check out Watter. They infuse acoustic & world sounds with occasional forays into heavier chords & drone-y stuff. Really lush textures and arrangements. And they only have 2 albums so it's not a big commitment.

Watter is great, but I can't help but feel the songs on their 2nd album are unfinished in a sense.  They have a great thing for a few minutes, and then it doesn't go anywhere.  REALLY strong ideas, but I wish the songs were more fleshed out and involved, structurally, I suppose. 

On 4/23/2018 at 1:22 PM, wisdom81 said:

New God Is An Astronaut .

Haven't listened to it yet but most reactions I've seen are good.

I splurged on the $$$ /100 Gold to keep my collection complete. This one is going to be a grower like Origins, at least I hope so. H/E was much better out of the gate and I spin it more.

On 4/26/2018 at 11:05 AM, Freki said:

Check out Watter. They infuse acoustic & world sounds with occasional forays into heavier chords & drone-y stuff. Really lush textures and arrangements. And they only have 2 albums so it's not a big commitment.

Watter are dope (I think I wrote that a few times here or some other thread). A super group making non flashy solid slow burner instrumental music. Most super group or collabs usually are let downs for me but Zak and Britt on the first album (along with Rachel Grimes and all-time hero Tony Levin) really just made some unique jams without too much Eastern twang that Grails can get a bit heavy on. Second album, sans Britt, but with some session peeps like Rachel again seems to be at least as good or better as I spin them back to back. The run out grooves on History of the Future skids on my turntable, so I have to be ready to push the stop button!

Talons new track The Drowning is up and preorders for their 3rd: We All Know

First pass through I like the urgency/intensity of the music with a short break in there. I hope it's not the best track on the album, but if more of the same, I'd be happy. Haven't checked the PO prices yet, but last album, bummed about the Black variants have as much surface noise as the Haze limited (which I gladly waited on and got for cheap, basically a collector piece).

Evan, no screechy violins on The Drowning ;)

Talons: We All Know

On 4/24/2018 at 3:52 PM, PigeonsPlayingWhatNow said:

We live about 90 min out of Richmond, went to school there, you'll get to see Shy, Low alot - they play Strange Matter, The Camel, Capital Alehouse, etc etc Just saw Gregg a couple weeks ago at the Rosetta show at SM.

Great guys who have improved their musical skills since I've been following them, and Matt (Dave Grohl) has known them long before me when he was photographing - he has some cool shots of them in high school or middle school LOL

Toundra came later so they sound like other bands, not vice versa jeje, j/k. not really.

I'm an old prog guy, so when they went partially prog with IV, it really didn't hit my tickle spot, like I, II and III did.  III>II>I

I guess they get compared to Russian Circles more than any other post metal group, but just not at that level, pretty basic instrumental rock/metal and some decent riffs. Also a group that have become better musicians and song-writers with each album, even though IV wasn't my cuppa. I think that Kitsune theme has just been done to death, can we move on now. Like maybe  Hiraeth ? ;) ... which is a GREAT album from Shy, Low. 

Edited by drds89
homonyms and typos

3 hours ago, drds89 said:

Talons new track The Drowning is up and preorders for their 3rd: We All Know

First pass through I like the urgency/intensity of the music with a short break in there. I hope it's not the best track on the album, but if more of the same, I'd be happy. Haven't checked the PO prices yet, but last album, bummed about the Black variants have as much surface noise as the Haze limited (which I gladly waited on and got for cheap, basically a collector piece).

Evan, no screechy violins on The Drowning ;)

Talons: We All Know

Beat me to it! Very, very excited for this. Definitely one of my most anticipated of the year.

1 hour ago, omik11303 said:

Beat me to it! Very, very excited for this. Definitely one of my most anticipated of the year.

Saw Omik’s avatar on the main page.

Knew it was probably from the Post-VC thread

Knew it probably pertained to Talons.

Was not disappointed.

New track is tight.  The strings they had on New Topographics are sublime.  That second track - Reverie? - gets me every time.  Such a major step up from Hollow, in my opinion.  I actually may do the Holy Roar sub for a bit because that exclusive looks like a beaut.

48 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Saw Omik’s avatar on the main page.

Knew it was probably from the Post-VC thread

Knew it probably pertained to Talons.

Was not disappointed.

New track is tight.  The strings they had on New Topographics are sublime.  That second track - Reverie? - gets me every time.  Such a major step up from Hollow, in my opinion.  I actually may do the Holy Roar sub for a bit because that exclusive looks like a beaut.

I may have said this on the New Topographics thread but I'll say it again: I think that record has aged better than almost any other post-rock album in recent memory. Sure, there were songs like "The Dreams..." that I knew were gonna be personal classics from the first listen-through, but almost every other track has gotten better and better every time I've gone back to the album. Such a bummer that the pressing quality was so bad - my black copy is almost unlistenable.

I still look  forward to both Talons albums, and like Owen said, New Topographics has aged very well. (I've been tempted with Topshelf has holiday discounts to roll the dice on another black copy)

Derek, I'm thinking since I was able to find the Euro /100 Black Hollow Realms for cheap, and then waited out the initial run on New Topographics for the /100, that there are going to be a decent number of Holy Roar subscribers who are not going to be into this. I'm going to wait to hear the whole thing, and then see what shows up of the /200. I'm in the GFRC and usually end up selling 5 or 6 of the 10 releases to break even on my sub to get those limited versions. I'm going to try and be patient...

edit: I keep forgetting to mention the Commemorations compilation of singles on CD by BSM, not on vinyl; earlier material like the split with ASIWYFA is energetic and mathy and then towards the end of the compilation the songs start sounding like the current  Talons, esp the track Trevelyan.

Edited by drds89