PO: Radiohead - OK Computer - oknotok

This is definitely an interesting situation and I think it provides a lot of insight into the current state of the vinyl industry/problems that happen on both the consumer and supplier.

To be honest, I really hope that the Radiohead camp caught wind of this, realized the fiasco that ensued, and cut back on supply being sent to these major online retailers in an effort to get these to physical brick and mortar stores. #inaperfectworld

Edited by jonnywreck

Got the same email from Bullmoose,

though they did tell me orders will be fulfilled according to the time they were placed. So if you were one of the first to place an order after they went up, I imagine yours is safe. They also said they hope to have final numbers soon and will let everybody know.

Edited by ejc625

48 minutes ago, jonnywreck said:

This is definitely an interesting situation and I think it provides a lot of insight into the current state of the vinyl industry/problems that happen on both the consumer and supplier.

To be honest, I really hope that the Radiohead camp caught wind of this, realized the fiasco that ensued, and cut back on supply being sent to these major online retailers in an effort to get these to physical brick and mortar stores. #inaperfectworld

That will show that evil online giant Bull Moose who's boss.  

I'm guessing Bullmoose sent that email to everyone who pre ordered a blue as a CYA Move. But I'm willing to bet that people who pre ordered before the tweet and probably 15-20 min after will be safe. I know I've gotten an email like this from them before and they ended up getting enough to cover pre orders. 

Edited by timsimmons

2 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I'm guessing Bullmoose sent that email to everyone who pre ordered a blue as a CYA Move. But I'm willing to bet that people who pre ordered before the tweet and probably 15-20 min after will be safe. I know I've gotten an email like this from them before and they ended up getting enough to cover pre orders. 

Agreed. People posted the direct link here way before BM tweeted. I'm thinking we'll be good.

Eager to get to the bottom of this fiasco, I reached out to The Radioheads on Facebook to see if they could clarify anything.  Tom York himself replied directly and apologized for the confusion.  Amazing.  Apparently there are 700 of these worldwide, not 7,000.  Only two zeroes. He's unsure where the extra zero came from, and asked that I just buy the deluxe boxset to be safe.  I told him I'd do it if it meant no alarms and no surprises.  He told me to fuck off and blocked me. 

17 minutes ago, ethereal said:

never truly understood how sites took xxxx number of preorders without actually knowing how many copies they were getting. seems pretty scammy, especially with all these cancellation emails

I'm by no means an expert, but I guess it's similar to RSD where they order X copies, but may only receive a fraction of what they ordered.  So they probably don't have a realistic idea of how many they'll get either.

17 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I'm by no means an expert, but I guess it's similar to RSD where they order X copies, but may only receive a fraction of what they ordered.  So they probably don't have a realistic idea of how many they'll get either.

I understand this but why post a pre-order then? it's like creating and wanting your own cluster fuck

8 minutes ago, jonnywreck said:

Yea, I pretty much only order from Bullmoose and never called them an evil giant. However, I do think that any store regardless of size or "evilness" should look into guaranteed allocation before putting things online.

If a distributor changes their allotment after a retail store takes orders, how can a retailer guarantee their allotment? 

11 minutes ago, jonnywreck said:

Yea, I pretty much only order from Bullmoose and never called them an evil giant. However, I do think that any store regardless of size or "evilness" should look into guaranteed allocation before putting things online.

My comment wasn't meant to sound as snarky as it did when I re-read it.  Bull Moose doesn't seem to have a history of doing things like this so I bet they either really thought they were getting the copies and something changed or there was such demand to get the pre-order up that they went with what they thought they were getting in.  

I got an email from hottracksmusicstore.com about an hour ago that has a P/O for Radiohead oknotok on Blue in case you need it. 

You have to email them, though.  Please see https://madmimi.com/p/d4b11a?fe=1&pact=4062428-139120804-9408393690-e28c45b735fcfbfef4e04465e50e95ff11b2059c for details

PRICES VALID ONLY THROUGH THIS E-MAIL

(Not valid at webstore, and not valid on previously placed orders)

Email us your list, along with your name, address, city, state, zip and country and we will send an invoice for payment.

Edited by jaypeap

1 hour ago, slipcraig said:

If a distributor changes their allotment after a retail store takes orders, how can a retailer guarantee their allotment? 

I'm not in the industry, so I'm not sure... and there is never a full "guarantee" on anything in life. However, if the need be, maybe they just wait until they have them in hand? I doubt distributors change allotments all that much, but if that is the case then most of these stores should just wait until they're in hand.

At least Bullmoose doesn't charge until they're shipping their orders!