PO: Radiohead - OK Computer - oknotok

Boomkat blue arrived in Cali today, only took a week!  Nicely wrapped and a few layers of cardboard, only one very minor crease. More turquoise than I expected. Nice and heavy. 

Sound:  Very dynamic, soft parts hide away and then the guitar/chorus leaps out and bites your head off.  Boomy bass.  Beautiful shimmering treble. I cranked it up because it felt right.  Some crackle at the beginning of side B, otherwise quiet. 

Edited by ryantark

2 hours ago, untiliwakeup said:

Top notch release.  The only thing I'm disappointed with is the version of "lift" that's on here is so lifeless compared to the pinkpop live version. Its obviously just a demo but yeah regardless this is a must own release . 

I don't know, to me it basically sounds like the same version/arrangement as the Pinkpop version, but done in the studio. I like it, but I can definitely see why they left it off the album/b-sides. 

7 hours ago, timsimmons said:

How were you a massive fan of the Bends and then never checked out the insanely praised followup?

In all fairness to EH, when "OK Computer" came out, it was this huge swooping progressive art rock record in the likes that nobody had heard before.

Being a fan of progressive and unusual music in general, it was the first Radiohead album I bought and THEN I went back and bought "The Bends."

If you REALLY liked the sound of those first two albums, "OK Computer" may have initially put you off.

There were record reviewers who did NOT LIKE "Sgt. Pepper" when it came out either. 

I still consider "OK Computer" Radiohead's masterpiece, but others say that is "Kid A." ;)

11 hours ago, untiliwakeup said:

Top notch release.  The only thing I'm disappointed with is the version of "lift" that's on here is so lifeless compared to the pinkpop live version. Its obviously just a demo but yeah regardless this is a must own release . 

I like it. I was really afraid it was going to be the slow version of lift they played live in 2002. 

I can totally see why some, especially early 90s alt-rock fans, would spin OK Computer a few times, decide it had too much Pink Floyd bloat and pomposity, and stop following the band much after that. They'd have done the same with The Smashing Pumpkins a year or two later. 

Frankly I think The Bends and Kid A are greater albums than OK Computer (although that's maybe because I played OC out during my teens to the point where I got sick of it).

Even now, the third disc is the major reason why I bought a blue copy since those b-sides are great and I'm stoked about the three archived songs, too. If this was merely a remaster with a limited colour run I would maybe think twice about purchasing it, even though I've never owned it on vinyl.

53 minutes ago, museummouth said:

In Rainbows > Kid A > A Moon Shaped Pool> The Bends >  OK Computer > Hail To The Thief > The King of Limbs > Amnesiac > Pablo Honey

The one with creep on it > fake plastic trees  and weird face album > everything else sux.

Edited by untiliwakeup
Life

In Rainbows is barely middle of the pack for me. Just out of curiosity, what Radiohead album did you guys start with? Ok Computer was mine with the Airbag EP being the first release I purchased from the band. Creep was the first song I heard but I was kinda iffy on whether or not I liked it at the time (I think I was only in 7th grade).

Edited by morfiend

Oh this is always fun. My first experience with Radiohead was Creep. As a 14 year old I had no idea what anything other than Creep was, but I had limewire. Downloaded Pablo Honey and liked it enough to download the Bends. Then I only listened to The Bends because it is so much better and I didn't have time to waste on Pablo Honey. A couple months later I listened to Kid A because it had the highest ratings and didn't understand what happened. Once Idioteque came on I just listened to that for several months though lol. I didn't listen again until In Rainbows came out when I was 19 but then I went back and blah blah no one cares.

Amnesiac > OK Computer > In Rainbows > A Moon Shaped Pool > Kid A > Hail to the Thief > The King of Limbs > The Bends > Pablo Honey