PO: Radiohead - OK Computer - oknotok

I had the Creep CD single, then bought The Bends, then Pablo Honey. I stopped buying new stuff from OK Computer on, but The Bends has always stayed on high rotation. I loved spinning this last night, and do wonder why I waited so long to give it a go. I think armadillo01 really nailed it with their comment above about an initial perception of bloat and pomposity.  Maybe I should revisit Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness next ;)

13 minutes ago, sergeantscruffy said:

Pablo Honey is infinitely better than The King of Limbs.

Have you heard the Basement Session of TKOL?  Shit's incredible.  I do think the studio album is stark, kind of lifeless, and a little cold, but that Basement performance makes up for it for sure.  AND they play the Daily Mail, which is like Top 3 Radiohead songs for me.

1 hour ago, sergeantscruffy said:

Pablo Honey is infinitely better than The King of Limbs.

I wouldn't say infinitely, but disregarding the basement sessions (because it's a separate entity from the album) I'm tempted to call TKOL the weakest.

Otherwise, OKC>Kid A>AMSP>Bends>IR>HTTT>Amnesiac

8 hours ago, jonrawks said:

Does anyone not rank Pablo Honey last?

For me it's tied last place with King Of Limbs.

OK computer was probably my first purchase with Radiohead although I'd obviously heard Creep and various bits of the Bends. For me its probably:

KID A > Hail To The Thief > OK Computer > Amnesiac > In Rainbows > A Moon Shaped Pool > The Bends >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>King Of Limbs/Pablo Honey

The top 7 are really close faves so the order switches a lot.

I just sent my deluxe version of KOL  with newspaper etc. off to a friend for £20 including postage that's how little I fuck with that album.

Creep was the first thing I heard when I was probably 10/11 in a YouTube video. I remember liking the guitar crunch and never really thought about it again. Bought OKC on a school trip in 8th grade and my life changed forever it's my ride or die album yadda yadda yadda. Anywho:

OKC > Kid A > The Bends > In Rainbows > AMSP > HTTT > TKOL > Amnesiac > Pablo Honey

1 hour ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Pretty much everyone puts Hail To The Thief low down on their list and I think a large part of this is because it came directly after Kid A/Amnesiac which is a shame to me. Seriously not a duff track on that album.

I like Hail to the Thief a lot. In fact, I'd probably rank it above TKOL, In Rainbows, Pablo Honey and even Amnesiac. 

1 hour ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Pretty much everyone puts Hail To The Thief low down on their list and I think a large part of this is because it came directly after Kid A/Amnesiac which is a shame to me. Seriously not a duff track on that album.

My only complaint with HTTT is it's a little long at the end.  The band even acknowledge it and say they should've trimmed it.  Those last 3-4 songs aren't bad but after Punch Up it kinda falls flat for me.

I'm surprised everyone shits on amnesiac so much.  I consider it the other half of Kid A, almost the darker half.  Life in a glass house alone ranks it higher than AMSP for me.

20 minutes ago, highfives said:

My only complaint with HTTT is it's a little long at the end.  The band even acknowledge it and say they should've trimmed it.  Those last 3-4 songs aren't bad but after Punch Up it kinda falls flat for me.

I see how this could be the case for a lot of people. I love me a long album though and personally wouldnt want it trimmed cos its all continuously engaging. Im only fussed by length if there is a significant drop off and I can't imagine that album without Wolf At The Door.

4 hours ago, jonnywreck said:

If I may put my two cents in, I actually celebrate their entire discography and find that the last half of Pablo Honey is fantastic 90's alt-rock.

I'll wholeheartedly agree with this, comparing it to the rest of the albums is pretty much apples and oranges. Blow Out is one of my favorite Radiohead tracks, no shame.

I can  understand why many people rank TKOL on the lower end, but I'm emotionally attached to it since it was the first album I experienced the release of as a fan and I saw them for the first time on that tour. Pretty much the only good memory I have of high school lmao.

Edited by openupyourskull