PO: Lil Yachty - Teenage Emotions

I don't really like his sound, or understand why he is popular, but I am happy for him, and I hope he can inspire other artists like him. His story is pretty neat and he seems to have broken the mold in his genre. He was one of the Atlanta artists featured on a recent episode of Viceland's Noisey. He doesn't fit in with any of the other Trap Artists, doesn't promote or do drugs. His story is kind of refreshing considering early Trap music and it's themes were based entirely off of selling drugs to be able to afford to make the music. Most of the time I can't listen to rap music, atleast mainstream, because I don't identify well with the themes. I do enjoy artists like RTJ or Aesop Rock though. Something about their sound.

5 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Is it really trap music if you aren't talking about trapping? To me that's like saying a bunch of alcoholic dudes are a straight edge hardcore band. But I don't understand plenty of stuff, so who knows?

Good call. But I think where the genre started and where it is now are very different places. I would guess Trap is not only defined by the lyrical content. Like any type of music genre or sub genre, it has and will continue to evolve.

Yachty isn't really trap at all. More like cloud rap/pop if we're calling it anything like that..

Honestly though, with these new tracks, his trajectory is reminding me of Drake's early on. Similar criticisms, pop culture status, and general production/promotion choices. This kid could be huge a couple years from now.

I heard "Peek a boo" on the radio yesterday (the first Lil Yachty non-feature track I've heard on this station) and turned it waayy up. And "Bring It Back" bout to be the jam of the summer.

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, somethingvinyl said:

I don't like the music still, but this dude is one of my favorite personalities now. He seems to not give a fuck about anything he's supposed to. Pretty punk rock if you ask me.

If he wasn't as bad as he is I'd agree, but there's just no excuse for this.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:56 AM, Tommy said:

But it sounds like a 4 year old mumbling gibberish. I guess if that's your thing, people are into worse

Hold on

9 hours ago, Sunshine said:

If he wasn't as bad as he is I'd agree, but there's just no excuse for this.

Yeah, I just think he's partly being intentionally obtuse about it. Which is humorous when soooo many people get up in arms about it.

Edited by somethingvinyl

Curry was the only one who wasn't complete trash. Yachty is obtuse because he's not intelligent enough to be otherwise. When you literally can't come up with anything other than snappin niggas like twix you're not a positive role model any way you spin it. Just replacing pill stupidity with stupidity isn't any better.