PO: The National - Sleep Well Beast

31 minutes ago, AdamJNovak said:

After asking Bull Moose if they will be getting the blue variant in, here's the reply I got:

"That's a little up in the air right now. We might end up with a different color but they haven't announced their retail plan yet."

I guess I guess I'll go ahead and order from 4AD.

With the way they are pushing digital copies with tickets, I could see them having several colors (blue, white, indie retail color, VMP color) to maximize sales. 

1 hour ago, AdamJNovak said:

After asking Bull Moose if they will be getting the blue variant in, here's the reply I got:

"That's a little up in the air right now. We might end up with a different color but they haven't announced their retail plan yet."

I guess I guess I'll go ahead and order from 4AD.

Thanks for this

55 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

Seeing as how the UK indie retailers are already selling the blue, I'd expect BM to have it up later today (like with oknotok last week - but, ahh, much more easily attainable).

FWIW Bull Moose also said in regards to blue being the indie variant:

"In that case, we probably will have the blue & details haven't worked their way to us yet. There are a lot of layers."

Edited by AdamJNovak

1 hour ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

Cool any pics? How's it sound? 

Not pics, but it looks blue, and sounds a little like the lead singer from EL VY on the vocals, and the drums are a bit like Pfarmers and LNZNDRF ;) 

I posted that this morning before work, and as I was driving I just knew I would get called out for the diction ha. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. 

22 minutes ago, Skacel said:

Doesn't it defeat the point of an 'indies only' variant when you can pick it up from the label / band website? 

They should have a web store exclusive and an indies only exclusive. 

Anyway, in for the blue and the new song is decent!

Makes more sense for an independent buisness to have a digital store front in order to meet the market's demand. The difference is that you're buying directly from a smaller/independently run record store or label opposed to GeffenRecords.com/BestBuy.com. Plus getting records pressed is kind of a pain in the ass these days. It's probably much easier to get 2 color ways in large numbers opposed to 4 in smaller amounts. I digress, The National isn't a small touring band playing little venues that charge $5 at the door, so it's kinda whatevs.

I dig when there are only 1-2 variants of a larger release like this. Sometimes, when there are a half dozen variants, the balance between physical commodity and art/music can skew a little too much toward the former. It's a small, subtle thing but it can be noticeable enough to affect the way someone views a particular album.

1 hour ago, richardsurf said:

I dig when there are only 1-2 variants of a larger release like this. Sometimes, when there are a half dozen variants, the balance between physical commodity and art/music can skew a little too much toward the former. It's a small, subtle thing but it can be noticeable enough to affect the way someone views a particular album.

I would argue that the 'balance' is on the listener. So if one is worrying more about collecting all variants than the quality of the music, that isn't on the band or label, it's on the listener... no? 

Yo, so, sad to admit this, but this new single is the first time I've knowingly listened to this band. I've slept on this band for years and skipped numerous recommendations from friends to check them out. I'm an idiot. This track was great. Immediately bumping these guys to top priority.

25 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

I would argue that the 'balance' is on the listener. So if one is worrying more about collecting all variants than the quality of the music, that isn't on the band or label, it's on the listener... no? 

I get what ya mean. IMO, the band/label puts out the songs and the product, so they aren't removed from how the context of an album is formed.

I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that meaning = text (the actual music) + context (the formats it exists in, the time it exists in, the surrounding narrative) + reader (the listener, their subjectivity) and that we can only really control 1 of those (the reader/listener/ourselves). The other two are what they are, even if you try to ignore certain elements of them.

Long story short, I think you can shrug and say "Who cares, I guess" when a band/label pumps out 7 pre-order variants (which is what I do as a non-variant collector) but it still effects the way we absorb the music. If I had control over everything, I'd prefer the record be simply the record as much as possible, and a simple two variant pressing with minimal color gimmicks is closer to that.

Edited by richardsurf

17 minutes ago, TheWindBlower said:

Yo, so, sad to admit this, but this new single is the first time I've knowingly listened to this band. I've slept on this band for years and skipped numerous recommendations from friends to check them out. I'm an idiot. This track was great. Immediately bumping these guys to top priority.

Go listen to Alligator. It's my favorite album ever.