PO: The National - Sleep Well Beast

Every time I hear a slow National song and it's amazing and layered and perfectly arranged, instead of a slow, plodding mess like Runaway or a bombastic, saccharine U2/Coldplay anthem like Vanderlyle or England, I bow my head and say a prayer of thanks to the American Mary gods. Guilty Party is spot on and has me pumped for Sleep Well Beast.

Edited by richardsurf

12 minutes ago, richardsurf said:

Every time I hear a slow National song and it's amazing and layered and perfectly arranged, instead of a slow, plodding mess like Runaway or a bombastic, saccharine U2/Coldplay anthem like Vanderlyle or England, I bow my head and say a prayer of thanks to the American Mary gods. Guilty Party is spot on and has me pumped for Sleep Well Beast.

*pulls metaphorical sunglasses down bridge of nose*

Are you talking shit about Runaway or England? 

8 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

*pulls metaphorical sunglasses down bridge of nose*

Are you talking shit about Runaway or England? 

Because they are the National, they dipped their toe into that sappy arena ballad pool and knew better than to keep going down that road but, for any other band, a song like Vanderlyle or England is the pre-cursor to having a college marching band on stage with you for your encore and the lead singer wearing a band leader costume or like a cape. Thanks to some course correction with Trouble Will Find Me, the songs are fine and just minor blips of concern to some fans and not the glaring beginning of the band's descent into persona self-parody. The slow ballads before and after High Violet are all aces (About Today, I Need My Girl, this new one...I didn't dig Heavenfaced but it's not as bombastic or anthemic so I just let it pass when it plays).

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2017 at 5:14 PM, richardsurf said:

Because they are the National, they dipped their toe into that sappy arena ballad pool and knew better than to keep going down that road but, for any other band, a song like Vanderlyle or England is the pre-cursor to having a college marching band on stage with you for your encore and the lead singer wearing a band leader costume or like a cape. Thanks to some course correction with Trouble Will Find Me, the songs are fine and just minor blips of concern to some fans and not the glaring beginning of the band's descent into persona self-parody. The slow ballads before and after High Violet are all aces (About Today, I Need My Girl, this new one...I didn't dig Heavenfaced but it's not as bombastic or anthemic so I just let it pass when it plays).

So much of this is wrong, I don't know where to begin......

I gotta assume you've never seen The National live. Definitely not when they've played Vanderlyle or England. 

I mean, I Need My Girl is fine and all.... But acting like it's this amazing creation while England is dog shit is just.... baffling.

12 minutes ago, floyd_z said:

Would be awesome if they would throw those in with the POs too.

There's no b-sides, demos, or unreleased material on that 7", right?  Just the 2 singles that are on the actual record?  As someone who prefers to keep unnecessary pieces out of my collection, the concept is a little lost on me.  But to each his own.  I guess if you were fanatical about owning everything and anything released by The National, it could be cool to own.

6 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Cue tears.

I have a 95% complete National collection and I'm so sad I can't get this. 

Should be available on Discogs pretty soon here.

I still never got a real response – what's the appeal of this thing?  Just an extra notch on the ruler when we're whipping out our dicks to compare National collections, or...?  I'd be really cool if there was an album b-side or a demo version of either single on the 7", but I guess I'm a little perplexed on a 7" that contains two tracks featured on the full length we've all PO'd.

I would imagine these 7"s are going to be modestly available. A quick google search indicates the capacity of the Basilica Hudson is 1200. Assuming this is how many tickets they sold, plus additional copies they sold at the festival mentioned before, I would have to imagine there were at least 2500 of these pressed. In addition, most of the people attending the shows his weekend probably don't care to have these and might become available from various outlets. 

I got there early on Friday and was doing my annual walk through before sets began. When I got to 4AD table i don't know what made it pop into my mind, but I randomly asked if they would be come widely available. She said she wasn't done setting up and pulled out a sealed box. She gave me the first one. Pretty sure the box glowed with a celestial light as she pulled out the first single. 

And while she works for 4AD and I kinda knew how she would respond, I asked if she heard the album and if so what are her thoughts. She said it is a fantastic album and fans will love it, that it's different but familiar. So I was amped. 

Edited by timsimmons

On 7/16/2017 at 10:35 AM, timsimmons said:

I got there early on Friday and was doing my annual walk through before sets began. When I got to 4AD table i don't know what made it pop into my mind, but I randomly asked if they would be come widely available. She said she wasn't done setting up and pulled out a sealed box. She gave me the first one. Pretty sure the box glowed with a celestial light as she pulled out the first single. 

And while she works for 4AD and I kinda knew how she would respond, I asked if she heard the album and if so what are her thoughts. She said it is a fantastic album and fans will love it, that it's different but familiar. So I was amped. 

This...I like all of this. 

On 7/15/2017 at 7:26 PM, Derek™ said:

Should be available on Discogs pretty soon here.

I still never got a real response – what's the appeal of this thing?  Just an extra notch on the ruler when we're whipping out our dicks to compare National collections, or...?  I'd be really cool if there was an album b-side or a demo version of either single on the 7", but I guess I'm a little perplexed on a 7" that contains two tracks featured on the full length we've all PO'd.

it sounds good and i like listening to the songs