PO: The National - Sleep Well Beast

6 minutes ago, Andrew_VB said:

no prob, was just trying to help you understand the appeal of the record.

I got the appeal of the record, though.  Like... that's why I stayed up the night I suspected pre-orders would go up, and immediately placed an order despite the lack of limited quantities or urgency to do so.  Fully up to speed on that one.  I was just questioning the appeal of the 7" before we determined that it's really just for collector's sake.  I fully believe that I would enjoy hearing the songs on both the 7" and 12" versions... and as a fan of context [who enjoys listening to The National in more than 10 minute bursts], I'm craving the full album a lot more than a 7" of two songs we've had for a month or more.

25 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I got the appeal of the record, though.  Like... that's why I stayed up the night I suspected pre-orders would go up, and immediately placed an order despite the lack of limited quantities or urgency to do so.  Fully up to speed on that one.  I was just questioning the appeal of the 7" before we determined that it's really just for collector's sake.  I fully believe that I would enjoy hearing the songs on both the 7" and 12" versions... and as a fan of context [who enjoys listening to The National in more than 10 minute bursts], I'm craving the full album a lot more than a 7" of two songs we've had for a month or more.

I'm in agreement with you. But if I was at a show and the 7" was reasonably priced, sure I would probably buy it and spin it one time between now and the full release.

Definitely wouldn't bother trying to get people here to buy me one or pay anything over retail on the secondhand market.

But I do have a couple bands that I'm a nerd for and try and buy all their stuff, so I get it while not getting it at the same time.

Just now, dantheriver said:

I'm in agreement with you. But if I was at a show and the 7" was reasonably priced, sure I would probably buy it and spin it one time between now and the full release.

Definitely wouldn't bother trying to get people here to buy me one or pay anything over retail on the secondhand market.

But I do have a couple bands that I'm a nerd for and try and buy all their stuff, so I get it while not getting it at the same time.

Realistically I'd probably grab one, too, and hook up some poor soul who owns everything – including A Lot of Sorrow – assuming they absolutely needed it to retain full completion.  I get the appeal of having a couple of the songs handy since we've still got 2 months to wait, but I'm also on a bit of a SWB-lockdown until the album drops. I listened to System until it fully clicked and was obsessed with Guilty Party the week it dropped.  Personally avoiding any more plays or live clips until 9/22.  As someone who got into the band late (with High Violet), TWFM is the only album of theirs I had the opportunity to "get hyped" on.  So when I gave Demons and Don't Swallow the Cap one listen each ("just to be sure"), hearing the entirety of TWFM was almost ritualistic for me.  The wait felt so very worth it and I would've personally gotten a lot less from the album if those 2 songs were released on a 7" and I took the opportunity to acquire them and burn myself out, so they stuck out like a sore thumb.  I get that everyone's experiences are different but that's at least where I'm coming from.

11 hours ago, Derek™ said:

but it's not just for collectors sake. that's what i'm trying to explain to you. the appeal of the 7" record is to listen to these two songs now. the album comes out in 2 months, so this is currently the only way to listen to these songs on vinyl. additionally, a 7" is typically for when you want to jam a specific song. the album is for listening to the entire album in sequence, for the most part. i go through nights where i like just pulling out random 7"s and listening to a variety of stuff, i will be glad to have this single to do that as well and won't regret the $5 i spent on it.

Just now, timsimmons said:

Are you asking for real if people play their 7"?

Like an evening of disc jockeying singles for hours?  I don't know, maybe I'm old fashioned but that just sounds annoying / a little ADD.  I never questioned if people play their 7"s – like I said above, I get the appeal of exclusive b-sides or demos or whatever.  But I guess I'm confused why anyone would trade in 2 hours of quality listening to 2-3 albums for 10-12 7"s.  More power to you but it seems like an oddity to me, which is why I asked.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Like an evening of disc jockeying singles for hours?  I don't know, maybe I'm old fashioned but that just sounds annoying / a little ADD.  I never questioned if people play their 7"s – like I said above, I get the appeal of exclusive b-sides or demos or whatever.  But I guess I'm confused why anyone would trade in 2 hours of quality listening to 2-3 albums for 10-12 7"s.  More power to you but it seems like an oddity to me, which is why I asked.

My upstairs neighbors are constantly playing their 7"s like that.  I'd guess that they listen to them more than they do LPs.  I don't think it's that unusual.

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Do people actually do this?

I do every now and then. That is, I exclusively own 7"s that are necessary for me to have, for them being the only option to listen to a particular set of songs on a tangible format. Mostly lots of Midwestern Emo or Dischord stuff and there were lots and lots of bands back then hiding real gems on singles, like Mineral, Texas Is The Reason, Rites Of Spring, Fugazi etc. There's little current examples for me, but Grouper's latest 7" is a huge one, sporting two favorites out of her entire output yet.

Back on topic, this particular single could hardly be any less relevant to my interests. Not only is it beyond me just why this release needs to exist, since both songs are out there and well known to arrive on the full-length. I fail to see any value besides completions sake and 'gotta catch 'em all'. Which is fine, I just don't care. 

Also I, just like Derek, am peculiar about preview songs and singles of albums I'm confident about enjoying as soon as they make their way round. The National have at least four great albums under their belt and I don't foresee them letting me down this time. Hence, I didn't listen to them once. 

Damn... not even once, @Eliminator Jr.?  I can respect that.  I won't get into specifics (and anyone can guess out of context from my last few posts), but one of them has me floored and wondering if they'll be able to top it on the full album.  The National have never been a band to reveal the singular ace of the album prematurely so my hopes are high.  But damn if the bar hasn't been raised significantly already.

And that blue is indeed really sleek, @timsimmons.  Partial tansluceny is my jam, and I'd love for the standard blue press to resemble that.

Edited by Derek™

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright, vinyl copies are officially reaching customers.  (Nearly a week early.)  Vinyl rips are imminent, but my copy won't even show up on release date if USPS tracking is to be believed.  I know a good number of people have been listening to this for a few weeks at least.  Anyone feeling generous today?  Otherwise I guess I'll just wait a couple of hours for a rip.  Really excited to hear this thing either way.