PO: The National - Sleep Well Beast

1 hour ago, richardsurf said:

Check back in after you've listened to it 4-5 times.

This one is a different kind of grower than other National albums, as a majority of the songs build slowly, use very simple vocal melodies, and are driven by the drums & electronic layers rather than drums & shimmering Dessner guitars. IMO, once you start telling the slow songs apart from each other, you realize they are just as great as the obvious faster songs and have their own jittery, unsettling bite to them even though they're a bit stripped down.

Couldn't agree more. Was lucky to get my copy already in the mail last Friday and been listening to it on repeat since then. This album definitely grows a lot slower than other National albums, but it does. It definitely does.

24 minutes ago, kid_k_1 said:

Some Belgian shops get an exclusive flexie with a live track.

foto van Music Mania Gent.

Fuckkkkkk I thought my collection was gonna be complete when this the album showed up :((

I checked Instagram and it looks like some US shops are getting it too, so of anyone here is able to get one for me I would really appreciate it, and pay you for the record/your time!

Edited by zerohacker

The European release indeed comes on translucent blue vinyl. Also, the inner sleeves are not die-cut - the die-cut parts are colored/"stamped" in white. I put up the release including pictures on Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/The-National-Sleep-Well-Beast/release/10816982

1 hour ago, lethalenforcer said:

If I ever wind up grabbing this, I think it'll be that EU translucent blue.

Not a big National fan?  I think this will probably end up being in the top 10 albums of 2017, myself.  Especially if it ends up filling out and growing as much as their prior albums do, with all the subtle National nuances.

Anyone with a translucent blue – can you weigh in on how it sounds?  I'm interested in tracking one down.  Is it safe to guess that any Euro store stocking "blue" will have the translucent?  Or is there any oversea-VCer who could take the guesswork out of it and ship me a copy?  I've had really good luck in working with a few generous individuals for prior Euro variants.

4 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

I ordered from the 4AD store, I'm in California, and mine is Translucent blue FYI.

Interesting.  I'll probably just sit tight until I can verify then, either way.  I'm looking on Discogs and the barcodes are identical.  Is it unrealistic to assume they all came from one plant and there's just a fluctuation in translucency?  Or were they definitely pressed at separate plants in different countries?  Would love a weigh-in on the sound quality from anyone willing to chime in, too.

54 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Interesting.  I'll probably just sit tight until I can verify then, either way.  I'm looking on Discogs and the barcodes are identical.  Is it unrealistic to assume they all came from one plant and there's just a fluctuation in translucency?  Or were they definitely pressed at separate plants in different countries?  Would love a weigh-in on the sound quality from anyone willing to chime in, too.

My semi-translucent US copy sounds great. Very quiet, even without a wet cleaning.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Not a big National fan?  I think this will probably end up being in the top 10 albums of 2017, myself.  Especially if it ends up filling out and growing as much as their prior albums do, with all the subtle National nuances.

Anyone with a translucent blue – can you weigh in on how it sounds?  I'm interested in tracking one down.  Is it safe to guess that any Euro store stocking "blue" will have the translucent?  Or is there any oversea-VCer who could take the guesswork out of it and ship me a copy?  I've had really good luck in working with a few generous individuals for prior Euro variants.

I ordered my translucent copy from finestvinyl.de - if you need any help, I can work as a hub.

Another option might be HHV.de (they have a photo of the records and they look translucent-ish).

JPC.de could also be an option, I don't know how their copies look.

The barcode are identical but my copy had a comment on the barcode sticker that said "MADE IN EU" (see the Discogs page for reference). Maybe that's the indicator?

6 minutes ago, idioteque... said:

Did anyone besides me order the supposed german grey edition?

i saw various german websites offering grey including amazon. Probably a false alarm but worth a shot

I put in an order for the grey but haven't received any shipping notification yet. Amazon shows it will ship on Sept. 11th for me

1 hour ago, richardsurf said:

My semi-translucent US copy sounds great. Very quiet, even without a wet cleaning.

Thanks for this.  And for all the input from everyone else.  If there's barely any fluctuation of opacity and the US press sounds great, I'm not sure the $40-$50 would be worth it for me.

Anyone end up with a truly opaque, solid blue?

12 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Thanks for this.  And for all the input from everyone else.  If there's barely any fluctuation of opacity and the US press sounds great, I'm not sure the $40-$50 would be worth it for me.

I should note that I have a light source behind my Instagram pic, which might be misleading if you're expecting a clear blue (and is why I call it semi-translucent). It doesn't look as clear as the EU one looks in regular light but it isn't that creamier, thick blue that I was expecting it to be. Sorry if that clarification makes things more...opaque.

23 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

My copy is pretty damn solid opaque blue. I didn't try holding it up to lamp or anything though lol. Sounds amazing overall, really great pressing. 

5 hours ago, zerohacker said:

Fuckkkkkk I thought my collection was gonna be complete when this the album showed up :((

I checked Instagram and it looks like some US shops are getting it too, so of anyone here is able to get one for me I would really appreciate it, and pay you for the record/your time!

I was on The National's  Instagram, and could not find a list of stores that are including the live flexi.

Can you please post a link?

9 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

I was on The National's  Instagram, and could not find a list of stores that are including the live flexi.

Can you please post a link?

I looked on photos they were tagged on, and at least 2 stores said they had them, there wasn't a list or anything.