PO: Mossbreaker - Between The Noise And You (FFO Failure, Hum, Cloakroom)

I love searching for vinyl new releases on Bandcamp:

https://mossbreaker.bandcamp.com/

If the best art comes from pain, then Mossbreaker’s debut LP, Between the Noise and You, should be hanging in the Louvre. Self-produced and mixed over the course of a year by the alt-rock trio at their home studio in Los Angeles, the album comes in the wake of singer/guitarist, Gabe VanBenschoten’s father’s death. The result is a raw expression of the human experience told through powerful, haunting, diverse layers of musicianship. 

By hacking through the thick layers of effect-laden guitars, understated-yet-dominant bass and commanding, hard-hitting drums, one quickly gets to the heart of the matter on Between the Noise and You. The album opens with “Song for My Father,” a modern-day dirge that sets the tone for the heavy beauty to come. It’s followed by “Dissolve,” a Deftones-esque driving march that conveys VanBenschoten’s feelings of loss, with lines like, “I want to hold your hand / As you disappear.” That moves into the title track—a droning detuned, would-be radio hit layered with eerie guitar leads and driving rhythms. And “Shamer” is yet another heavy-hitter with a formula of minimalist verses flowing into catchy, larger-than-life choruses that’ll dig into listeners’ brains and take up residence there.

With each subsequent track, Mossbreaker creates a sonic masterpiece that blends energetic ‘90s-influenced rock, melancholy dream pop and shoegaze-soaked post-rock. Overall, it’s raw, yet composed; it’s mournful, but aggressive; it’s meticulous, yet sounds absolutely massive.