Sounds like No Idea is going on hiatus :(

I will always think of No Idea as a label that cared more about the music than the money. There were dozens of records they put out knowing they would never break even but did it because they believed in the music and the people making the music. 

I hope their integrity becomes their legacy. 

It appears that the rights to their catalogue are reverting back to the bands which is always nice to see. 

Edited by Tidal Wave

18 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

I believe they advertised some final pressings and just sold through them all. Could be wrong though.

I remember the final pressings, I just wasn't aware they were all gone. Oh well. Still plenty of Against Me! on there, and A Wilhelm Scream's Partycrasher which I still need to get. 

I owned a record store for 10 years.  We used to order direct from No Idea all the time.  I always got  a kick out of getting a handwritten invoice in the No Idea "font", AKA Var's handwriting.  I would also marvel at the fact that Var sold his records and CD's for retail what other labels sold them for wholesale.  When we finally moved on, it's unimaginably painful.  Like the death of a spouse.  Sometimes , I would regret ever doing it, since the only thing to show for the decade of work was debt and emotional pain.

I still have dreams, 10 years later, about working at the store.  I always wake up bummed.  

10 hours ago, AlexH. said:

That may be a little difficult - Hot Water Music pulled their catalog probably 2 years ago at this point, which in retrospect was probably a pretty good sign that No Idea was winding down. Ryan from Off With Their Heads also recently got back the rights to their No Idea releases, and there's a preorder for his own reissue of All Things Move Toward Their End. I just hope No Idea's epilogue looks more like Dischord than Lookout.

Sounds more like Lookout's. Look at Ryan's post on facebook about buying OWTH records from him and not from No Idea...and all the comments...

I remember my freshman year of high school someone giving me a scratched up demo for a band called Kenji. Prior to this my music world revolved around whatever i heard on TV or the radio.

kenji soon changed their name to Glass and Ashes and released their debut album on No Idea.

That was the first record I ever bought and introduced me to DIY punk.

No Idea will always hold a special place in my heart

Ordered from them for 17 years. Favorite label and in my opinion the most personable too. You could call them up and place an order for crying out loud! The label has received alot of my business. It will be a bummer if/when Var closes up shop for good. Until then, take my money No Idea Records!!!!!!

19 minutes ago, Satan said:

Hold on a second there gang, it's not over yet!

So so I emailed Var about some tests I wanted. Dear Landlord "Dream Homes" and he said that there weren't any left and I'd have to wait until the next round of represses because he had to have new tests made. 

This may be the "projects in the works for a year in advance" he mentioned 

1 hour ago, JohnMatrix said:

They were sketchy and treated their bands like shit which is why bands are re-releasing their records that were put out by No Idea. Not that sad to see them close honestly

Care to provide any examples outside of not repressing albums the last two years due to the company scaling back operations?

They definitely pulled some shit on Todd C and Toys that Kill. And if you listen to Ryan Young's podcast he has less than stellar things to say about his experiences. Plus I know a few people close with bands that have been on the label that experienced very similar things getting screwed over money

On 2017-05-17 at 3:14 PM, AlexH. said:

Feels like the end of an era. This was hard to read.

Sad feels for sure.  First record I bought as an adult was put out by them and made my first online purchase with them.  Wish they could pull a Hydra Head and keep on trucking to some extent but it doesn't sound like that'll be happening.  Godspeed.