Chris Cornell (1964-2017)

Chris Cornell has passed away.

I'm pretty heartbroken. He was such a talented musician. I finally had the opportunity to see him perform 2 years ago on his solo acoustic tour.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/arts/music/chris-cornell-dead-soundgarden.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

43 minutes ago, coreystevens88 said:

Unbelievably sad news to wake up to.  Listened to Audioslave's 'I am the Highway' and couldn't help tearing up.

One of my all time favorites.

I never got to see Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, or solo Chris but I did get to see Audioslave at Lollapalooza in 2003. They were on the same stage as Distillers, Incubus, Janes Addiction, Queens of the Stone Age, and Chris and gang easily stole the show. 

It's being reported as a suicide.

What a sad sad day. One of the greatest vocalists to come out of the 90s (or ever, really)

I'm tearing up over here. Met him a few years ago briefly and he was a very humble fellow, a joy to talk to.

R.I.P.  Mr. Cornell

"No one sings like you anymore"

:(

Edited by vinyl addict

Just, just fuck everything. I usually don't get so worked up over deaths in the music industry, due to what people go through in the industry it's unfortunately expected, but this, no. This is so unexpected. His was so young, and this was so sudden. Man, I don't even know how to interpret this. Badmotorfinger is in my top 10 favorite albums of all time, and absolutely love everything Chris touched. This is a rough  one. Thoughts go out to his family and loved ones. 

Edited by Dave Grohl

No, fuck this. I'm in denial. I can't even mourn right now, I'm just completely shocked. There are so many Soundgarden and Audioslave songs that mean so much to me, especially The Day I Tried to Live and Fell on Black Days. I listened to Be Yourself countless times before my first gigs and it helped me calm down and have a good time on stage. To think Chris Cornell isn't with us anymore just doesn't sound right.

22 minutes ago, Breezus said:

No, fuck this. I'm in denial. I can't even mourn right now, I'm just completely shocked. There are so many Soundgarden and Audioslave songs that mean so much to me, especially The Day I Tried to Live and Fell on Black Days. I listened to Be Yourself countless times before my first gigs and it helped me calm down and have a good time on stage. To think Chris Cornell isn't with us anymore just doesn't sound right.

Not just that, Euphoria Mourning is one of my all time favorite albums. This whole situation just fucking sucks. 

I watched some of the videos from the performance last night in Detroit, he was slurring and pretty lethargic up there. Have to believe he was under the influence of something. But then again, I know very little about Chirs Cornell so that could have been a normal thing for him to look and sound like that.

This is on the level of "unacceptable." If suicide is the ruling I won't really be shocked by it but a little surprised. If you've paid enough attention to the lyrics of a number of songs and his not so public but sort of obvious to the public struggles with depression, you can see the likelihood being there. Still, I really thought that he had matured out of that in the last 5 or so years. Not to call him immature but you know what I mean. Its not always something people can magically grow out of just by growing up. This really sucks. I hate to say that my disappointment has anything to do with having been really excited for a new Soundgarden album but that is definitely part of it. It feels selfish and crass to admit that but I only know that he's even a person because I love his music, particularly with Soundgarden. They seemed really excited to be making a new album too which is also saddens me to think about how his friends/bandmates are feeling right now and how they'll probably never fully recover from it.

43 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

This is on the level of "unacceptable." If suicide is the ruling I won't really be shocked by it but a little surprised. If you've paid enough attention to the lyrics of a number of songs and his not so public but sort of obvious to the public struggles with depression, you can see the likelihood being there. Still, I really thought that he had matured out of that in the last 5 or so years. Not to call him immature but you know what I mean. Its not always something people can magically grow out of just by growing up. This really sucks. I hate to say that my disappointment has anything to do with having been really excited for a new Soundgarden album but that is definitely part of it. It feels selfish and crass to admit that but I only know that he's even a person because I love his music, particularly with Soundgarden. They seemed really excited to be making a new album too which is also saddens me to think about how his friends/bandmates are feeling right now and how they'll probably never fully recover from it.

Seriously? You don't fucking mature yourself out of depression. Even when people you know are aware of the struggle it doesn't always make it easier. It's a daily fucking struggle for people dealing with depression. It's not just feeling sad. 

7 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Seriously? You don't fucking mature yourself out of depression. Even when people you know are aware of the struggle it doesn't always make it easier. It's a daily fucking struggle for people dealing with depression. It's not just feeling sad. 

I didn't mean for anything I said to offend anyone and especially not people who actually struggle with depression themselves or have been affected by it via a loved one. I never meant to insinuate you can mature out of clinical depression. Sorry if I was unclear. What I meant is that it seemed like he had matured out of the suicidal mindset. You can be depressed and not necessarily suicidal. That's all I meant. I didn't mean to be insensitive about any of those things.

6 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Take it easy, man. We're all fans here dealing with a tough situation. We all mourn differently. Mental health is a challenging subject that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

So much good music that has enriched my life. I'll celebrate what I have been given. Thank you, Chris.

4 minutes ago, kannibal said:

Take it easy, man. We're all fans here dealing with a tough situation. We all mourn differently. Mental health is a challenging subject that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

So much good music that has enriched my life. I'll celebrate what I have been given. Thank you, Chris.

I don't need you to tell me to take it easy, man. People need to understand that real depression goes deep to the core of anyone suffering from it. Too many people still think it's someone being dramatic or just overly sad. Many times friends and family don't know what's going on underneath the surface. I want people to understand that and to help others get the resources they need to cope and to be a little more empathetic. 

11 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I don't need you to tell me to take it easy, man. People need to understand that real depression goes deep to the core of anyone suffering from it. Too many people still think it's someone being dramatic or just overly sad. Many times friends and family don't know what's going on underneath the surface. I want people to understand that and to help others get the resources they need to cope and to be a little more empathetic. 

I agree with your message more than you care to know. I disagree with your tone and the time and place. That tone isn't going to open any hearts and minds to the message.

Chris Cornell's music meant so much to so many people in so many different ways. I'm usually not an emotional person when it comes to death, but as I ponder what his music has meant to me, I can't help but mourn his passing with a heavy heart. His voice and songwriting skills were truly special and will continue to inspire, support, and uplift me for the rest of my life.