College Radio (New DJ Tips)

I've wanted to do it for awhile and just got in.  I go for training on Thursday and may even start on Friday.

Any vital tips, suggestions, etc.

I'm going to mostly be playing punk rock.  Classic and current.  I've done some homework (;)) and have been reading a lot on online so I don't fuck it up, but anything from my fellow VC'ers would be much appreciated.

NO DEAD AIR! Some sort of rehearsal of what you're going to say on air for your show ahead of time should help until you're completely comfortable.  Know enough about what you're going to be playing to eat up some air time in case you run into technical difficulties 

23 minutes ago, birdwell said:

NO DEAD AIR! Some sort of rehearsal of what you're going to say on air for your show ahead of time should help until you're completely comfortable.  Know enough about what you're going to be playing to eat up some air time in case you run into technical difficulties 

absolutely this.

Try to sound at least a little excited about what you're playing. A lot of college DJ people sound too cool for school. The ones I've liked have had personality. I did a guest spot for one hour a long time ago. I played a mix of punk and classic funky soul. I'm sure I confused people. Have fun!

Came in here to say "Please please please learn how to fucking speak"

I've listened to a lot of college radio and I get that it's a learning experience, but I've endured some truly cringe inducing DJs. So like has been said above, be prepared.

Also, I'm not knowledgeable about the technical side of things but don't use low quality MP3s. I can't tell you how many Djs I've heard that were clearly playing like 128kbps or worse MP3s off their iPods. I remember one dude in particular played late 90s early 00s rap, but there was no low end and it was tinny as fuck.

Thank you all for the tips!  I did my first show today (2 hours) and it went great without any dead air.  I was nervous for the first 20-30 minutes, but got the hang of it and felt more comfortable.

On 5/24/2017 at 9:32 AM, Tidal Wave said:

Where at?

88.5 WRKC (King's College, Wilkes-Barre, PA).  You can stream on the tunein app, but only on data for some reason.  Doesn't work even on a fast wifi connection.

I def prepped for it and had a playlist ready to go and talked every 3-4 songs.  I would love to bring some LP's/singles in, but their turnable isn't working so I used my macbook.  90% of it is at least 256-320 so nothing too low.  I was going to substitute some of the digital tracks with CD's, but I need to get the hang of swapping back and forth first.

I really don't want a DJ name, but want to at least title the show.  I was just going to use an Adolescents song (Word Attack), but I'm not sure yet.  I just posted a playlist on my personal IG account @bhoussock

Thanks again all :)

Edited by curator

18 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

If it's Wilkes barre you better play hardcore. Cold world, blacklisted, dead by 23 records. 

someday possibly.  I have nothing against hardcore, but I don't listen to much.  

I did play Westpoint and For Ages (a smaller local band, if you like HWM).