snowynz

PO: GOLDFINGER - The Knife

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Wondering who played what on this album...Goldfinger has been doing shows with Travis Barker on drums and Mike Herrera on bass...would be awesome if they were both on the album.

Edit: the press release says Travis Barker and Herrera did drums and bass on the album.  Awesome.

Edited by mmhmm

1 minute ago, richardsurf said:

Wow. I don't know Feldman's history as a writer/producer for recent Blink but this definitely sounds like it could be a 2017 Blink song.

Unfortunately.

Make Goldfinger ska again

12 minutes ago, richardsurf said:

Wow. I don't know Feldman's history as a writer/producer for recent Blink but this definitely sounds like it could be a 2017 Blink song.

This honestly sounds a lot like something written for California. Well, here's another reason why I don't want John Feldmann back to produce Blink's next album.

Posted (edited)

Well, I didn't think they could make a worse album cover than the new Flatliners record, but Rise done gone and proven me wrong with this one!

Almost looks like it was drafted up in MS Paint, slightly tweaked, and then set to print.

Song is tight, though. Sounds like what I'd imagine Goldfinger would sound like after losing all the original members and recruiting members of Story of the Year, MxPx, and Blink-182.  Also producing every band that has the "pop-punk" label attached to it.

Although it could be said that Goldfinger pre-dated all those bands and, therefore, have influenced themselves through the bands that they've influenced. How's that for some meta pop-punk shit?

Edited by jonnywreck
mmhmm likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, jonnywreck said:

Well, I didn't think they could make a worse album cover than the new Flatliners record, but Rise done gone and proven me wrong with this one!

Almost looks like it was drafted up in MS Paint, slightly tweaked, and then set to print.

Song is tight, though. Sounds like what I'd imagine Goldfinger would sound like after losing all the original members and recruiting members of Story of the Year, MxPx, and Blink-182.  Also producing every band that has the "pop-punk" label attached to it.

Although it could be said that Goldfinger pre-dated all those bands and, therefore, have influenced themselves through the bands that they've influenced. How's that for some meta pop-punk shit?

Eh.....I'm fairly certain Blink-182 pre-dates Goldfinger....MxPx probably does as well...minimum they were/are contemporaries.   

I would also also argue that's not Jon being influenced by bands he influenced....it's blending in with the crowd and the scene....like how they started as a punk/ska band because that's what was happening and then they morphed into whatever brand of pop-punk was popular.  I would say he's a bit of a camouflage artistic  and through production and time spent on the road he's befriended some of the bigger names in Pop-Punk and recruited them to play with him.  Great business move.  I'm certain he genuinely enjoys making his music as well as producing.  Maybe I'm just old-guying, but I hate his production style and I haven't been a fan of anything he's made since Stomping Ground (his music or producing).

Edited by birdwell

The album features a host of special guests including guest vocals from Blink-182’s Mark Hoppus, 311 lead-singer Nick Hexum, Mighty Mighty Boss Tones guitarist Nate Albert (“Get What I Need”) on guitar, Twenty One Pilots’ Josh Dun on drums (“Orthodontist Girl”), and ONE OK ROCK’s Takahiro Moriuchi, amongst others. Fans can get a first taste of the album through their first single, “Put The Knife Away”.

http://modern-vinyl.com/2017/05/24/goldfinger-releasing-new-record-through-rise/

4 hours ago, birdwell said:

Eh.....I'm fairly certain Blink-182 pre-dates Goldfinger....MxPx probably does as well...minimum they were/are contemporaries.   

I would also also argue that's not Jon being influenced by bands he influenced....it's blending in with the crowd and the scene....like how they started as a punk/ska band because that's what was happening and then they morphed into whatever brand of pop-punk was popular.  I would say he's a bit of a camouflage artistic  and through production and time spent on the road he's befriended some of the bigger names in Pop-Punk and recruited them to play with him.  Great business move.  I'm certain he genuinely enjoys making his music as well as producing.  Maybe I'm just old-guying, but I hate his production style and I haven't been a fan of anything he's made since Stomping Ground (his music or producing).

2 hours ago, DarrenMcCall said:

Blink-182 - 1992

MxPx - 1992

Goldfinger - 1994

Well fuck me sideways! I guess I always assumed the guys from Goldfinger were older and therefore around longer. 

My comment about the influence was more of a joke than reality, but I think debating on where people picked up certain influences is a fruitless endeavor because it's all subjective and whatever.

I do think they took a crazy nosedive after Stomping Ground, which was a perfect record. I could probably jam San Simeon every day for the rest of my life and never tire of it. If anything I just hope they tour down in Texas again so I can watch Feldmann go off. He was always one of my favorite frontmen.

My comment about the influence was more of a joke than reality, but I think debating on where people picked up certain influences is a fruitless endeavor because it's all subjective and whatever.

I do think they took a crazy nosedive after Stomping Ground, which was a perfect record. I could probably jam San Simeon every day for the rest of my life and never tire of it. If anything I just hope they tour down in Texas again so I can watch Feldmann go off. He was always one of my favorite frontmen.

Influences: Absolutely subjective.

Enjoying post-Stomping Ground: To each their own.  I hope you get to catch a show and enjoy if you're still enjoying them

I just felt like "Goldfinger" was definitely more than just The Feldmann Show....he could call this project something else with those kind of cameos and this lineup backing him live and still get decent coverage....my issue is calling it "Goldfinger"

47 minutes ago, birdwell said:

Enjoying post-Stomping Ground: To each their own.  I hope you get to catch a show and enjoy if you're still enjoying them

I just felt like "Goldfinger" was definitely more than just The Feldmann Show....he could call this project something else with those kind of cameos and this lineup backing him live and still get decent coverage....my issue is calling it "Goldfinger"

Open Your Eyes was decent. I pretty much jumped ship after that. 

And I agree about the lineup. It's not a Goldfinger show without Darren putting Twinkies up his ass. 

47 minutes ago, birdwell said:

And I agree about the lineup. It's not a Goldfinger show without Darren putting Twinkies up his ass. 

24 minutes ago, marc32137 said:

Apparently he hated doing that. There's a really interesting interview where Mike Herrera talks about being in Goldfinger with Darren Pfeiffer. It's on his podcast, but it goes all into Feldmann's controlling nature and kind of gives some insight into why the band is what it is now.

Apparently he hated doing that. There's a really interesting interview where Mike Herrera talks about being in Goldfinger with Darren Pfeiffer. It's on his podcast, but it goes all into Feldmann's controlling nature and kind of gives some insight into why the band is what it is now.

Huh, never knew that. Definitely gotta give that a listen. Thanks!