Must visit record shops in SF or Palo Alto?

Amoeba in the Haight Ashbury area is cool. I spent a good hour in there looking around. Lots of new and used stuff.

I also spotted a really small shop in the little Italy area (Russian Hill/ Nob Hill area) but it was closed at that time. There are plenty about, but you have to look for them. 

Normally when I am in a city I don't know I goto the record store day site and find participating stores. It gives links ,etc to their stores and you can browse and find if it looks like something you would have interest in.

Also Google is pretty helpful and a much more expansive audience than this site

10 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

Normally when I am in a city I don't know I goto the record store day site and find participating stores. It gives links ,etc to their stores and you can browse and find if it looks like something you would have interest in.

Also Google is pretty helpful and a much more expansive audience than this site

Understood. I just figured with all the dorks on this site that are much nerdier than the average collector, the cream of choices would rise to the top. 

9 minutes ago, skycriesmary said:

Understood. I just figured with all the dorks on this site that are much nerdier than the average collector, the cream of choices would rise to the top. 

Well, calling a bunch of us dorks is one way to get attention. 

Hopefully you find some good stuff. Either way, be sure to enjoy SF, it is now one of my favorite places- after spending a couple of days there.

22 minutes ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

Well, calling a bunch of us dorks is one way to get attention

Hopefully you find some good stuff. Either way, be sure to enjoy SF, it is now one of my favorite places- after spending a couple of days there.

:lol: I meant no harm, as I too am a dork. You have to have a bit of humor about this obsession, no?

the record man in redwood city is so so, but i've had a lot of luck with the store located directly behind it. LOTTTA good stuff like you mentioned for good prices.

vinyl solution in san mateo would be worth a stop as well. more new stuff, but tons of weird used records, tapes, movies, etc. as well.

in the city, there's no better record store than Thrillhouse. 1-2-3-4 Go! would be a close second.

PS i've lived here my whole life.

11 minutes ago, Jackie Crackrock said:

the record man in redwood city is so so, but i've had a lot of luck with the store located directly behind it. LOTTTA good stuff like you mentioned for good prices.

vinyl solution in san mateo would be worth a stop as well. more new stuff, but tons of weird used records, tapes, movies, etc. as well.

in the city, there's no better record store than Thrillhouse. 1-2-3-4 Go! would be a close second.

Thanks, much appreciated. Hoping to check out in the next few days while  visiting. 

5 hours ago, Jackie Crackrock said:

i fucking HATE record man.

don't even bother going in there unless you want to spend a bajillion dollars. 

edit: also some workers are rude and i get a vibe that they are racist as well. 

Edited by jaypeap

8 hours ago, jaypeap said:

i'm recommending the store BEHIND record man. no idea if the two are related at all, or if it even has a name, but if you haven't been, i recommend going if you're on the peninsula. i think their LPs are flat-rate, like $5, and quality shit. i ended up with like 4 or 5 not so common Boss records, and some 80's punk stuff. 

good info here - 

I actually just opened a record store in the outer sunset of San Francisco 2 days ago! Would love to see a VC'r as well.

tunnelrecordssf.com

inta @ tunnelrecords

but when I'm shopping which is still often outside of the odvious, Amoeba -

1234go on valencia is great. Stranded right across the way has a ton of hard to find more obscure items. Thrillhouse for punk. And if one were to make their way to my shop take some time and go to Western Relics on Irving St. Small shop but expertly curated.

11 hours ago, jaypeap said:

don't even bother going in there unless you want to spend a bajillion dollars. 

edit: also some workers are rude and i get a vibe that they are racist as well. 

I'll check out the record store behind it. Probably won't find much that I'm looking for, but it's all about the hunt.

4 hours ago, bwintroub said:

good info here - 

I actually just opened a record store in the outer sunset of San Francisco 2 days ago! Would love to see a VC'r as well.

tunnelrecordssf.com

inta @ tunnelrecords

but when I'm shopping which is still often outside of the odvious, Amoeba -

1234go on valencia is great. Stranded right across the way has a ton of hard to find more obscure items. Thrillhouse for punk. And if one were to make their way to my shop take some time and go to Western Relics on Irving St. Small shop but expertly curated.

nice, i'm sure i'll stop by sometime this weekend.

do you happen to have any used r&b, soul, or hip-hop? 

4 hours ago, jaypeap said:

nice, i'm sure i'll stop by sometime this weekend.

do you happen to have any used r&b, soul, or hip-hop? 

Yeah we have a fair amount of used R&B and soul, but limited hip-hop at this point. Great first few days too! lots of the good stuff is flying out but more on the way next week-

39 minutes ago, Jackie Crackrock said:

ah man, this store looks great! congrats!!!

thanks a ton! been really rewarding to get doors open and see peoples reactions to the shop-