Does replacing a cracked cassette case make it unoriginal? Or does the case have no influence on the cassette?

Most people won't mind if the case has been replaced but, if you plan on selling it, you can avoid a lot of potential headaches by mentioning upfront that you've replaced the generic plastic case. That will be helpful to anyone who, for whatever reason, expects and wants the original generic case.

Edited by richardsurf

15 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Discogs doesn't even count case cracks as part of the sleeve grading if I remember right.

Really? Dang. Good to know. So I'd be fine replacing the plastic, as long as everything else is the same? No plans on reselling, it's actually going to complete a discog, just don't want a cracked case with shards that could fall off at any vibration, and I have a weird thing for things being original. 

Just now, richardsurf said:

Most people won't mind if the case has been replaced but, if you plan on selling it, you can avoid a lot of potential headaches by mentioning upfront that you've replaced the generic plastic case. That will be helpful to anyone who, for whatever reason, expect and want the original generic case.

That's what I was thinking. Personally I wouldn't really care, but I know some people are super serious and strange about things like that. No plans on reselling though, just was curious as to what other people thought. 

Sometimes cases can be label-specific... I'm holding my original Slayer "Reign In Blood" cassette right now, and the Warner Bros. logo is imprinted in the plastic.  You could replace it with another Warner Bros. case, but if you have a buyer who is truly looking for the original item, it would be important to them to have that original case.  Not everyone breaks their cases...many people have taken great care through the decades to preserve the original retail item as it came out of the shrink wrap.  Another example would be Living Colour's "Stain".  The original case is transparent red plastic.  Break this and replace it with a generic clear case, and you've greatly impacted the original nature of the item.  I guess none of this is worth worrying about too much, but it's flippant to dismiss cassette cases as being as interchangeable as record sleeves.

Unless the original case is colored or has anything printed on it, then no one would know / care. I couldn't even tell you which ones I've swapped out cracked cases on.

Example would be my copy of Flashlights' I'm Not Alone. It came in a fluorescent yellow case. The label only did 1 copy that came in that color case so replacing it would ruin the rarity of it.

Edited by andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Only if a case is label-specific. Some labels back in the day used to have their logo embossed on the back. Really though, it comes down to personal opinion. To me, if you replace an original case with a generic one, it really makes no difference. But everyone has their own preference. Just make sure that if you're gonna replace a case, that the pins that hold the case in when the case is shut will fit nicely with the insert to prevent and tears.