Mike Vennart Thread (Vennart / Oceansize / British Theatre)

On 11/2/2017 at 11:13 PM, Fowty Dollaz said:

They were pretty good about replacing the sleeve. Hope for the best!

So my jacket is kinda fucked haha.  It took a serious beating and the top right corner is bent right over.  Also, they used some super weird packet of like....  junk mail postcards as padding?  I don't even know what the fuck this thing is haha.  But it has Marietta Rodriquez's address on it and she lives at 271 W Maple Ave in Bound Brook NJ....  lol. 

Finally got it open and my jacket and inners are super creased and bent haha.  oooof.  "I Am The Morning" also has a pretty abrupt scratch on my copy towards the end of the track, which is kind of a bummer.  Otherwise, this thing sounds pretty great!  The soundstage is wide, but I feel like they took away some of the squishy low end balls in the guitar with this remaster.  This is the same reason why I dislike the "Oceanic" remaster; the squishy analog bottom end was removed.  The drums sound fucking great though, wow.  Catalyst sounds absolutely incredible, wow. 

The clean sections benefit tremendously from this.  I am impressed.  I gotta go back to my OG copy for a comparison; it's been a while since I've listened to this. 

12 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

So my jacket is kinda fucked haha.  It took a serious beating and the top right corner is bent right over.  Also, they used some super weird packet of like....  junk mail postcards as padding?  I don't even know what the fuck this thing is haha.  But it has Marietta Rodriquez's address on it and she lives at 271 W Maple Ave in Bound Brook NJ....  lol. 

Finally got it open and my jacket and inners are super creased and bent haha.  oooof.  "I Am The Morning" also has a pretty abrupt scratch on my copy towards the end of the track, which is kind of a bummer.  Otherwise, this thing sounds pretty great!  The soundstage is wide, but I feel like they took away some of the squishy low end balls in the guitar with this remaster.  This is the same reason why I dislike the "Oceanic" remaster; the squishy analog bottom end was removed.  The drums sound fucking great though, wow.  Catalyst sounds absolutely incredible, wow. 

The clean sections benefit tremendously from this.  I am impressed.  I gotta go back to my OG copy for a comparison; it's been a while since I've listened to this. 

I’d love to hear a comparison of the two.  Sucks yourcopy is best to shit though.  Maybe they’ll send you a replacement?

19 minutes ago, highfives said:

I’d love to hear a comparison of the two.  Sucks yourcopy is best to shit though.  Maybe they’ll send you a replacement?

I mean I don't know that I need a replacement, it's just my luck that "I Am The Morning" has a scratch because that's one of my favorite songs.  "Remember Where You Are" also has a few scratches... it must be from where they were when the mailer got bent or something.  I did find some red pieces of grit when I took LP2 out of the jacket.  They can't all be winners! 

But again, it's just the jacket and inserts that are all creased and bent.  The records play fine, and sound fucking great!  I emailed Matador, we'll see what they say.  I don't think I need a full replacement, but a clean jacket would be cool.  Also, I don't know if it's just that it's been a while since I listened to this album but I'm hearing all these little things everywhere in songs that I never realized were there.  This is why vinyl rules!

Also, is this still available?  Because some douchenozzle has a copy listed for sale for $90 on Discogs haha

So this article is great:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/oceansize-interview-with-mike-vennart-i-m-very-proud-of-everything-that-oceansize-did-a8043331.html

Looks like we really lucked out that the 'Size guys stepped up and insisted on being a part of the process because as Mike is quoted as saying, they were going to cut this from a CD. There are no standards anymore. Thank you, Oceansize. This press rules.

1 minute ago, mcpherson123 said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/oceansize-interview-with-mike-vennart-i-m-very-proud-of-everything-that-oceansize-did-a8043331.html

Looks like we really lucked out that the 'Size guys stepped up and insisted on being a part of the process because as Mike is quoted as saying, they were going to cut this from a CD. There are no standards anymore. Thank you, Oceansize. This press rules.

Yeah, that was eye-opening to say the least...

10 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

You mean Beggars Banquet tried to take a short cut that would probably save them time and money? Colour me unsurprised. They were responsible for putting out some of my all time favourite albums but they never really struck me as a label who pushed the envelope in terms of business management.

5 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

You mean Beggars Banquet tried to take a short cut that would probably save them time and money? Colour me unsurprised. They were responsible for putting out some of my all time favourite albums but they never really struck me as a label who pushed the envelope in terms of business management.

Your comfort with the general tendency toward corner cutting disturbs me.[/vader]

I guess I figured if a label wants to manufacture an LP they should be held to the standard of beginning their process with (pre-manufacture) lossless masters or multitracks to make a lacquer cut. There are still labels that do the right thing and I've never been fully aware of the business practices at Beggars. Its worth noting that they were going to attempt to sell us a disingenuous product. I don't want to get so jaded that I just accept the general basis that I can expect to be ripped off especially when purchasing music. Granted this press was wildly inexpensive and I'm grateful for that but most records aren't. I'd rather hold labels to a higher standard as a collective of vinyl enthusiasts and hope they deliver.

My general perception of beggars banquet is probably so harsh because I remember the way they sort of dicked Biffy about when they were picked up by 14th Floor/Warner to the degree that their logo is on all releases of puzzle even though they had no hand in funding the creation of that record. Those first three albums by biffy were all also given the same budget even though their audience continued to amass. I can almost forgive the funding thing as they were a small label but forcing their way into royaltys for the bands break away album is a solid dick move. 

On 11/10/2017 at 11:08 AM, mcpherson123 said:

Your comfort with the general tendency toward corner cutting disturbs me.[/vader]

Its worth noting that they were going to attempt to sell us a disingenuous product.

We should all email them and inform them that we'll cease supporting their business from now on.  How dare they. 

23 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

We should all email them and inform them that we'll cease supporting their business from now on.  How dare they. 

Not sure that is the correct approach since they ended up manufacturing the release to the correct specifications for the type of product it is. It sucks to hear that the practice is so prevalent though.

2 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Spun this yesterday and I gotta say it really does sound brilliant. Glad to finally have all their albums on wax at last. 

Now we just need an EP boxset.

I want Home & Minor on vinyl so bad. I actually have the Music For Nurses EP but it definitely needs to come back into print for others.

24 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I want Home & Minor on vinyl so bad. I actually have the Music For Nurses EP but it definitely needs to come back into print for others.

Home & Minor for sure.

I think I only need a couple of 7” and Feed to Feed to be finished.  But aside from New Pin, the other 7”s are rare and pricey. 

What I’d do for Superfluous on vinyl...

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, easteracrobat said:

Anyone yet to receive their copies direct from Beggars after getting the shipping notification? Not sure if it's lost of just a premature notification...

When did you order? I have received my Beggars order a week or so ago, but I ordered the day (the hour?) they went up there.
Hope this helps!

6 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Not strictly Oceansize related but ...

We might as well keep this thread alive and make it an all-things-related type of thread. There's enough of us following who are interested in more than this one album. @Gumbo72203 should rename it...