Think tapes will really make a comeback?

A couple of months ago I was thinking that the record bubble has gotten pretty high, and that alot of things are getting a little more expensive than they were 10-15 years ago (obviously).  With bands like the Whigs, Eminem, and other labels with big artists pressing tapes, as well as a pretty solid after market, think they will come back like records?  I do

Many major label tapes were still being printed in the Asian market up until 2008. With the last major albums coming out in that year of 2008 in Indonesia. But recently it's mostly been about indie bands releasing tape copies of their albums or EPs. But I hope many more major artists release on the tape format. But to answer your question, I don't think tapes ever really went away, which the same is said about vinyl. 

1 hour ago, MattyIceyo said:

Right on decent feedback, im really hesitant to buy tapes from the asian indonesian market as i am afraid they will be bootlegs and not totally the real cassette..any ideas to that? i saw a bunch of mxpx tapes..but again..from Malaysia or something so i was cautious

I know The Ever Passing Moment is available from Thailand I think that one should be fine (not boot). I have a couple of full albums from Thailand and a couple from Malaysia, but I would say most of my foreign tapes are Indonesian. I think tapes from Malaysia can be tricky (boot or not) but quite a few of my Malaysian tapes have IFPI holographic stickers as a sort of proof of legitimacy. Most Universal tapes put out in Indonesia have a sticker as well. Tapes from Thailand tend to have an IFPI price sticker on the front of the case. 

So to:dr - I don't think you have to worry about most Asian territory released tapes.

Yeah, I think this trend will die quick.  

Tapes will always be around in the genres where they always have been a constant... noise/experimental, punk and hardcore demos, underground metal... 

In a couple years (or maybe a couple months) I will be very surprised if people are still wanting 2017 reissues of an Eminem, Blink 182 or Green Day album on cassette.

Personally the only tapes I buy are releases that are exclusive to the format. I will buy a LP or CD over a cassette every time.

3 hours ago, kurtz said:

Personally the only tapes I buy are releases that are exclusive to the format. I will buy a LP or CD over a cassette every time.

I'll pick up a tape if it's a significant cost difference to the LP sometimes too.  An $8 CS vs a $30 LP is a no brainer to me, especially if it's noise or black metal.

On 6/1/2017 at 11:42 AM, Shitty Rambo said:

The popularity has already dipped drastically over the least 2 years. A lot of the DIY tape labels I supported don't exist anymore or haven't put anything out recently.

This is what I've noticed as well and it truly sucks. I honestly thought the format was making a huge comeback when major artists started releasing tapes again, and I expected them to get as big as vinyl.

On 6/1/2017 at 6:41 PM, kurtz said:

Same here but with the exception to CDs; I prefer vinyl over tapes typically, but prefer tapes to CDs. CDs are usually a last resort for me and I  usually only buy them at shows to get signed. I actually enjoy listening to my tapes more than my records sometimes, but unfortunately they're so difficult to store. Napa valley 100 racks aren't so easy to come across anymore either at the prices they used to go for.

Over the last 2-3 years, record labels have sent me enough free/bonus tapes with my vinyl orders that I finally gave up and got a cassette deck. Thankfully, I had a co-worker who gave me her Marantz SD455 for free. I say this just as an example of someone who isn't really into tapes getting sucked into the tape fad.