Arcade Fire- Everything Now

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Which comments?  When they tweeted "wear whatever you want to any of our shows"?  I believe Apple is somehow involved with the venue / performance and that's where any formality requests initially stemmed from.

I mean, I am sure it is possible that they were trolling, but I also think it is possible they realized there was backlash.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2017/jul/26/arcade-fire-fake-news-spoof-gig-dress-code

either way, their new music sucks.

I guess if you stopped liking something you used to like, their trajectory has to be downward. 

I mean arguably, AF is as popular as they were during Reflektor, which was the height of their popularity (venue size wise). Maybe this album will get bad reviews, but there isn't really a trend in terms of critical acclaim or popularity at this point. 

Edited by timsimmons

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

As a huge fan of both these bands I'm just really confused by this comment.

There's still stuff from both of them that I'll listen to, but in my opinion I feel they both had brilliant guitar driven indie albums at the beginning of their careers and both became more fascinated with disco/dance/whatever you want to call it. Of Montreal is essentially unrecognizable from the bedroom 4-track they were putting out in the 90s (which I adore to this day) and I feel Arcade Fire is going down a similar road, especially since Reflektor. 

14 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

I feel Arcade Fire is going down a similar road, especially since Reflektor. 

Reflektor was quite literally one album ago... you're talking like it's been 3-4 albums since and their whole direction has changed. It's one album.

I've listened through a few times now. I really enjoy it. Something different and not in a bad way. If I feel like listening to their old sound I'll revisit their early work. Easy.

10 minutes ago, colbourne25 said:

Reflektor was quite literally one album ago... you're talking like it's been 3-4 albums since and their whole direction has changed. It's one album.

I've listened through a few times now. I really enjoy it. Something different and not in a bad way. If I feel like listening to their old sound I'll revisit their early work. Easy.

I'm don't understand why people are taking offense to me saying their sound has changed - which it obviously has - and saying it isn't my thing - which is just opinion.

Yes, Reflektor was only one album ago but that's why I said "especially." Would you have been happier if I said the seeds for their current sound were sown with tracks like Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)? I was trying not to write a Rolling Stone review...

6 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

I'm don't understand why people are taking offense to me saying their sound has changed - which it obviously has - and saying it isn't my thing - which is just opinion.

Yes, Reflektor was only one album ago but that's why I said "especially." Would you have been happier if I said the seeds for their current sound were sown with tracks like Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)? I was trying not to write a Rolling Stone review...

I never took offence. No doubt their sound has changed. Was just stating that it's way too early to say something about their whole career trajectory based off of one album.

Now get off the defence and play some offence.

It's not that people have a problem with your opinion. That's cool if you aren't into their dancier sound. It's the assumption that this is generally accepted as a bad move for them. Clearly Reflektor resonated with a bigger audience for them, and they are pushing that change. 

Its it's not working for you and that sucks that you don't love them as much as you did. But they only dropped off for you. Their career trajectory may still be going up. 

Edited by timsimmons

36 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

There's still stuff from both of them that I'll listen to, but in my opinion I feel they both had brilliant guitar driven indie albums at the beginning of their careers and both became more fascinated with disco/dance/whatever you want to call it. Of Montreal is essentially unrecognizable from the bedroom 4-track they were putting out in the 90s (which I adore to this day) and I feel Arcade Fire is going down a similar road, especially since Reflektor. 

Yeah I was just wondering which era of of Montreal you were referring to. It's a hard comparison because oM took like 3 or 4 albums to transition (and the dance version of the band hasn't been on like 4 of the last 5 records in favor of psychedelic guitars) and you can at least see how the progression is going whereas AF just seem to release records that don't fit any sort of transition. There is no connection between the island sounds of Reflektor and the homely Suburbs and I think Neon Bible is just as different from The Suburbs. I've been following them since Funeral and had no way of guessing what any of their next records would sound like.

I know what you're saying though I just feel like AF need to release like 2 or 3 more records before they're classified as any type of band really.

1 hour ago, Canuckle said:

Loved Reflektor, so given the early hate for this I'll probably be thrilled. 

Same. I've listened to the singles but I'm waiting for my copy in the mail.

I'm confused how anything danceable is considered the same genre in this thread. There is a huge difference between Haitian rhythms and 80s disco...

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Which comments?  When they tweeted "wear whatever you want to any of our shows"?  I believe Apple is somehow involved with the venue / performance and that's where any formality requests initially stemmed from.

Arcade Fire tried this "dress code" nonsense during the last tour:

IMG_5846.jpg

I think it came down to having no way to "enforce" it.

I wore a T-shirt and jeans last time. It was kind of a joke, but some people had some cool costumes around me.

Edited by Plarocks

7 hours ago, Plarocks said:

Arcade Fire tried this "dress code" nonsense during the last tour:

IMG_5846.jpg

I think it came down to having no way to "enforce" it.

I wore a T-shirt and jeans last time. It was kind of a joke, but some people had some cool costumes around me.

Yeah you showed them. I remember thinking it was a neat idea I don't understand the hate. Wasn't ever mandatory either except for two small shows. It never came down to enforcing anything because it wasn't a rule but a request.

4 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Yeah you showed them. I remember thinking it was a neat idea I don't understand the hate. Wasn't ever mandatory either except for two small shows. It never came down to enforcing anything because it wasn't a rule but a request.

Not sure if you mean those Brooklyn shows, but it also wasn't really mandatory. Wasn't opposed to the idea, but I didn't have a costume...

30 minutes ago, jrodan said:

you don't understand how mandatory dress codes are a bit unfair to those who perhaps cannot afford to participate in them?

*if they aren't mandatory, I don't see an issue either.

They arent. How many times has it just been said? Stupid people just jump to conclusions and get mad over everything.

If you paid $73 to see the show like I did, then they have to let you in provided you are wearing "clothing." :P

If they want to deny me entry because I was not in a "shirt and tie," and/or a "costume," then I will expect my $73 back.

They want my $73. I knew they were going to let me in. :lol:

Edited by Plarocks

I did never, in a million years, expect to be disappointed by an arcade fire record... especially since it's my favourite band and I really liked all four singles.

But man, when peter pan came on i thought this is the worst thing these guys have ever written, good news is it probably won't get worse...and then fucking chemistry comes on and i just think what the fuck is this shit... those infinite content songs have a nice chord progression but it does nothing for a hypothetical narrative of the record. Put your money on me is the only song left that is 'okay' i guess, a lot of people praise this song as one of the best they've ever written, don't know about that man...

Listened to the record 3 times now and i really really hope it will grow on me...I really want it to...I normally don't form an opinion on a record after only a day but peter pan and chemistry are reason enough to make this their worst record by far, as a huge fan this really hurts :(

Got my copy today and the packaging is pretty nice.

I really like the record, just spun it three times haha. The last three tracks are my favorites and just as good as other stuff they've written imo. I do get why people don't like it but it's a really fun record. The last three albums have had a really interesting progression for a band and I couldn't guess what comes next.