Arcade Fire- Everything Now

I guess it's time to weigh in on this one, myself, since I've been revisiting the album on and off for the last week.  I feel like I'm finally in a position to state a concrete opinion here.

Like Tim and several others have said, above, I don't think the album is even half as atrocious as people are making it out to be.  As much as I love seeing the polarization surrounding this release, it really is going to be an album that requires you to form your own opinion and not lend credence to the proverbial bandwagon... which is almost a perfect split, last I checked.  Among users, anyway.

I really think fans of Arcade Fire are going to fall into one of two camps when listening to this record and deciding how they feel about it.  The first (and more popular) group are going to view it as an objective plot on the trajectory of Arcade Fire's discography so far.  It will be related relative to their "classic" albums and held to the same standards accomplished by Funeral, because it is the same band after all... right?  Nevermind that it's an entirely different style, or that it was released 13 years after their heralded debut: it's still Arcade Fire, so they should be critiqued on the same scale that they've spent the last decade+ establishing for themselves.  I get it, it's sound logic.  But if you go into the album with that mentality, you're gonna' have a bad time.  Plain and simple.

The second camp will be able to abandon the band's past, and focus on the present.  For all we know, this is Arcade Fire exploring a pop-centric avenue and truly, deeply, shamelessly scratching the dance itch that began as a mere tingle on the skin in Reflektor.  I think that this album fully embraces some of the swanky disco flare from the 2013 double-album.  Four years ago, those disco drums and swelling horns during the title track's chorus were just peppered across the hour and 16 minutes.  Today – now – it is the main ingredient of a 47 minute dish.  That isn't going to bode well with everyone, and it's quite alright if you're not in the minority who can find enjoyment with the album.  You are not alone.  But they say misery loves company, and I'm personally enjoying the lifted spirits that are synonymous with this record.  Have you tried driving with it on a commute?  You really should.

This isn't AOTY by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm comfortable calling it Arcade Fire's weakest release, and even more confident in saying that it contains bad lyrics – probably some of the worst I've heard in a significant amount of time.  If I was a lesser man, I'd really allow the lyrics to deter me from enjoying this album.  Almost every track has some cringe-inducing moments that leave me scratching my head.  And the best part is that I don't even have to mention which moments those are – I can tell you that Peter Pan and Chemistry both have some laughable moments, and anyone who's listened to the album more than once will be able to cite the choruses in agreement.  There are many moments when the lines break out of a rhyming structure, stagger syllables, swing with an awkward delivery, or just sound pathetic.  I'm not awarding points to that style of songwriting... but in a very real way, I think there's a sort of "train wreck" phenomena going on here, where you can't help but spectate and carry the memory with you even after the moment has passed.  Going back to Peter Pan: I think the chorus is a garbage fire.  "Be my Wendy / I'll be your Peter Pan"... with those derpy dashes of brass in the background – no thanks.  But I cannot deny that it rattles around in my head well after the album is over.  Creeping in there for seemingly no reason on any given afternoon, and nestling itself comfortably on repeat.  It makes no sense, but I think it's a testament to Arcade Fire's songwriting on this record.  Whether you love it or hate it, they're still writing unique tunes that leave a lasting impression... for better or worse.

Honestly, for me, the only "dud" of a track at this point is Good God Damn.  It has a sort of seedy groove to it that is definitely chill - no mistake about that - but I just feel like it doesn't go anywhere.  Reflektor was cited as being bloated with throwaway tracks... but for me, even the weakest songs on that album took off and did something noteworthy at some point, redeeming their slow plod.  Not so much on Good God.  But barring what I'd consider the one true stumble in the back half, I really don't feel compelled to throw away any other song on this record.  Could they be better?  Absolutely.  Régine's voice on Electric Blue is borderline annoying.  And coupled with whatever weird synth melody that twines around it, it makes for a puzzling chorus – puzzling in the sense that my ears don't really enjoy it in the moment, though I've had it in my head for the last 10 hours or so.  I'm at a point where I need to be playing something else to drown it out.  Infinite Content has those blistering guitar chords - basic as they may be - and lazy lyrics... but I admittedly enjoy it quite a bit when that underscore pops up in the title, and the whole track becomes instantly bathed in an afterglow straight out of The Suburbs.  Chemistry has some of the weakest lyrics Win has ever delivered, but its got a chorus that's dimwitted and ready for stomp-clap radio play, and makes me feel like I'm fulfilling my guilty pleasure quota.

So what's done right?  I've talked a lot about how every song is so bad that it's charming... but is there anything that's legitimately good?  The title track (and first single) still soars in my book, and is an A+ feel-good hit of the summer.  Beyond the initial and popular reaction of "dude lol ABBA piano", I think there's a really well-written, layered, infectious pop tune that sees the band ascending to unrivaled heights.  I also have to admit that I'm a huge sucker for when its main motif is repeated on the final track, but with a symphony – maybe the album's singular moment that beckons their older material, in terms of beauty and cohesion.  I also think We Don't Deserve Love is brilliant, and was surprised no one brought it up in this thread.  That guitar melody bouncing in unison with the vocals during the chorus was love at first listen... and Régine's backing vocals during the finale take me back to Black Wave / Bad Vibrations; arguably my favorite track off Neon Bible. The whole song is drenched with those syrupy synth drones, and I think it all comes together into a really nice package.  Creature Comfort was also a really solid single with a commanding hook, if I'm being honest here.

It was pointed out to me that Everything Now's runtime is within a minute of both Funeral and Neon Bible.  This really threw me for a loop... and after a bit of consideration, I think it's because those first two albums – arguably their best, in my opinion – feel like complete journeys.  There's a starting destination, an ending point, and a spectrum of colorful tracks, dips, and progression between the two.  Cheesy as it sounds, a dedicated listen to those albums feels like you've accomplished something; like you've come out on the other side, somewhere else.  It feels like a 3-course meal that's nutritious, satisfying, and loaded with flavors.  Everything Now is a grab bag of junk food.  Sugary, sweet, shallow, and nowhere near as beneficial in the long run.  It feels like less a journey and more of a Greatest Hits compilation.  It may be fun to bounce off the walls with hit after hit, but at the end of the day, the sugar crash is inevitable.  I really don't see it having the same lasting power or impact as any of their earlier albums.  And in truth, I think that was a given to anyone with a shred of common sense who listened to the singles.  If you listened to at last two of the four singles and still hoped we'd get a successor to Funeral, Neon Bible, or The Suburbs, I don't know what to tell you.  Would it be rude to say that you deserve to be let down?  Because that's kind of how I feel.  I think it's very obvious that the band was not going for a "complete" journey spread across two LPs, this time around.

Maybe it's because I listen to a lot of drone, ambient, and otherwise experimental artists... but I think part of the appeal of this album could be tied to the "challenge" of finding the value in each song.  I won't say that there's a diamond in the rough on every track, but I also don't think it's a complete pile of shit like a lot of folks are making it out to be.  I won't sugarcoat it: I would be very happy if this record was Win and co. exhausting their disco cravings, so they could release something on a much more refined and grander scale, next album.  But whatever the case may be, I think it's another colorful notch in Arcade Fire's belt.  It won't "click" and be a sleeper-classic that everyone praises 10 years from now, but you have to give it credit for not being a rehash of ground they've already treaded.  The general consensus can sit and pout with their arms crossed, lamenting the band for shit lyrics and shallow dance-anthems... but I think I'm just gonna' let loose and have fun with this one for what it is.

Edited by Derek™

10 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I don't disagree with most of it. 

I'll take it!  Honestly didn't intend to write so much but once I sat down and began typing, it all just sort of happened.  Oh well.  It's not the Arcade Fire album I wanted after 4 years, but I'd rank it closer to "decent" than "steaming pile of dog shit" compared to most scathing opinions.

It's a poor album.

bad? No, but noooooo where near decent

The Peter Pan through chemistry run is really lame

we don't deserve love may be the most boring song of the year

title track is solid, otherwise if you can dance to more then a few songs on here good you for

Edited by hobbesthecat

I listened to the album in full a few times.

It works very well as a whole and it goes smoothly from start to finish.

Definitely a good one.

Favorite tracks Put Your Money On Me, Electric Blue and Creature Comfort.

I find Peter Pan and Chemistry to be decent tracks and I like the Everything Now outtakes and how they seem to loop seamlessly

I'm not sure it was intentional but Arcade Fire seem to have provided legitimate value in the form of giving dedicated fans an opportunity to challenge themselves. The album is very mediocre, if not terrible, and very easy to dismiss for most people but I see some followers sticking with it and trying to find positives or relate with the thought behind certain choices. That level of interaction and thought energy is more than you can say for many albums that are better quality wise.

10 minutes ago, just a normal guy kevin said:

I'm not sure it was intentional but Arcade Fire seem to have provided legitimate value in the form of giving dedicated fans an opportunity to challenge themselves. The album is very mediocre, if not terrible, and very easy to dismiss for most people but I see some followers sticking with it and trying to find positives or relate with the thought behind certain choices. That level of interaction and thought energy is more than you can say for many albums that are better quality wise.

As one of those people 'challenging themselves' I have to disagree with you (at least a tiny bit). I think some of this album is great, the title track and the latter third of the album are brilliant. They've not forgotten how to write songs, they're just scratching that 'pop' itch they have clearly had for a while in a much more blatant way. And I don't mind that! I think that the production is great and there's some really touches to some of the songs (the string sections all sound fantastic and I don't think they ever overwhelm the rest of the music which I was worried might happen).

But, on the other hand, they're having to go up against their earlier stuff to an extent. And it's not in a 'how it sounds' way, it's a 'how it's written' way. I think as others have said that lyrically this album is pretty drab in parts, and it's hard to overlook how pastiche-y the whole thing is (I've been beaten way to the punch on the Abba/Blondie/etc references). And yeah, Peter Pan/Chemistry are terrible - there's no way any amount of relistening will turn me around on those. More than anything though, I'm fascinated by how polarising this is.  I don't think it is just people who 'want' to like it who are trying to find reasons to like it - if you dive into the comments on Facebook, etc. there's plenty of people falling in love with the new album. It'll be interesting to see how this all settles - I seem to remember Reflektor being pretty divisive too, at least amongst those I knew. I wasn't impressed but I've come around to it. 

It's their worst album but their worst is still better than most. Didn't have to try that hard to find enjoyment with proper expectations based on the singles. I think Peter Pan and Chemistry are so bad they're good if that makes sense. Sometimes music doesn't need a brain to decipher.

I want to see some interviews with Win because the disparity between this albums lyrics and the others is so vast it has to be intentional for some reason haha

1 minute ago, moodist said:

Did anyone get a cereal box and a litho when they picked up their copy instore?  (got my from Rough Trade in London - they still had some). 

I was looking for one of those everywhere man...at the concert in cologne they  gave some to a foodtruck, you had to say a password to the guy in the truck and he would then give you a box..pretty cool haha but when they posted that you could get one there we were already in line for the concert :/ was hoping they maybe put one into the bundle package as a surprise hahaha we'll see...

3 hours ago, Mattallurgist said:

As one of those people 'challenging themselves' I have to disagree with you (at least a tiny bit). I think some of this album is great, the title track and the latter third of the album are brilliant. They've not forgotten how to write songs, they're just scratching that 'pop' itch they have clearly had for a while in a much more blatant way. And I don't mind that! I think that the production is great and there's some really touches to some of the songs (the string sections all sound fantastic and I don't think they ever overwhelm the rest of the music which I was worried might happen).

But, on the other hand, they're having to go up against their earlier stuff to an extent. And it's not in a 'how it sounds' way, it's a 'how it's written' way. I think as others have said that lyrically this album is pretty drab in parts, and it's hard to overlook how pastiche-y the whole thing is (I've been beaten way to the punch on the Abba/Blondie/etc references). And yeah, Peter Pan/Chemistry are terrible - there's no way any amount of relistening will turn me around on those. More than anything though, I'm fascinated by how polarising this is.  I don't think it is just people who 'want' to like it who are trying to find reasons to like it - if you dive into the comments on Facebook, etc. there's plenty of people falling in love with the new album. It'll be interesting to see how this all settles - I seem to remember Reflektor being pretty divisive too, at least amongst those I knew. I wasn't impressed but I've come around to it. 

I can see that. I think both a loose attachment and a hyper tight attachment help with this record. If you're not a huge AF fan and casually browsing Spotify's new releases playlists for your new music, which is filled with major label D-level/AAA artists, the album isn't wildly different than anything else they offer as "rock" or "indie" music and maybe it's better. If you really really love AF, you can look at the record in a way where you think "Hey, this song is so terrible...that it's now good!" If you're in the middle, you know too much about AF's discography to think this matches up and you probably are too busy listening to other music to dedicate hours to trying and liking it. I am sincere though when I say that I think it's a bad album but that it is cool that people can discuss it and think about it this much, which is much more than albums that are better.

1 hour ago, just a normal guy kevin said:

I can see that. I think both a loose attachment and a hyper tight attachment help with this record. If you're not a huge AF fan and casually browsing Spotify's new releases playlists for your new music, which is filled with major label D-level/AAA artists, the album isn't wildly different than anything else they offer as "rock" or "indie" music and maybe it's better. If you really really love AF, you can look at the record in a way where you think "Hey, this song is so terrible...that it's now good!" If you're in the middle, you know too much about AF's discography to think this matches up and you probably are too busy listening to other music to dedicate hours to trying and liking it. I am sincere though when I say that I think it's a bad album but that it is cool that people can discuss it and think about it this much, which is much more than albums that are better.

Yeah, I feel that. I think perhaps I'm not as obsessive over AF as others in here may be - always a fan, though, and I'm very excited to finally see them. Maybe that detachment helps me see it more objectively, but I'm honestly happy to hear something that's pulled me out of my comfort zone and the conversation around it is great to follow.

it certainly seems like there are some AF fanboys who are giving this album multiple listens in order to find something worthwhile about it. instead of, you know, listening to it and realizing pretty immediately that it is boring trash that you wouldn't give a second thought about if it wasn't an AF record.

in fact, your tl;dr review is kinda exactly that. I can't imagine writing something that longwinded for some random band you didn't have an attachment to.

Edited by jrodan

28 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Are there any obsessive AF fanboys who are unapologetically defending Everything Now to the teeth in this thread?  I haven't spotted one.  Or anywhere online, for that matter.

From his comment he's talking about me for whatever reason. Guess I'm obsessive. I act the same way about every release I'm excited for oops.

1 minute ago, jrodan said:

it certainly seems like there are some AF fanboys who are giving this album multiple listens in order to find something worthwhile about it. instead of, you know, listening to it and realizing pretty immediately that it is boring trash that you wouldn't give a second thought about if it wasn't an AF record.

We remember the last 7 times you've said it. It seems you can't get enough of it though. Feel free to point out all the fanboy posts. I don't think you can find any and people saying it's not trash are hardly praising it as some otherworldly gift to ears like you're implying.