Arcade Fire- Everything Now

Just now, Sunshine said:

We remember the last 7 times you've said it. It seems you can't get enough of it though. Feel free to point out all the fanboy posts. I don't think you can find any and people saying it's not trash are hardly praising it as some otherworldly gift to ears like you're implying.

I think you confused me, brother. I talked about the dress code thing (since debunked, my bad) and talked about this record like once prior to this post.

Just now, jrodan said:

I think you confused me, brother. I talked about the dress code thing (since debunked, my bad) and talked about this record like once prior to this post.

I know, it's called hyperbole. Clearly you're not a fan and regurgitating posts multiple pages later is just kinda funny.

34 minutes ago, jrodan said:

it certainly seems like there are some AF fanboys who are giving this album multiple listens in order to find something worthwhile about it. instead of, you know, listening to it and realizing pretty immediately that it is boring trash that you wouldn't give a second thought about if it wasn't an AF record.

in fact, your tl;dr review is kinda exactly that. I can't imagine writing something that longwinded for some random band you didn't have an attachment to.

The bold bit actually states your case for you.  If you did end up reading my post – but why would you, considering your stance on the record? – you would've found out that I can probably count the number of positive or praise-worthy components on one hand.  I mostly talked about how the album is AF's weakest output to date, how embarrassing a lot of the lyrics and vocal deliveries are, and how I'm still able to throw it on as a guilty pleasure.  Maybe weak writers or simple-minded listeners are confined to only discussing albums and artists they're crazy about... but please don't lump into that group.

I mean, I really enjoy Funeral and Neon Bible today.  Suburbs feels a little bloated but there's good content on it: the same can be said for Reflektor, which I actually find myself enjoying a little more consistently than most.  But I can assure you that I wasn't holding out for Arcade Fire to wow us with AOTY in 2017.  I didn't mean to write as much as I did, but I ultimately wanted to sit down and elaborate on something other than "lol this shit sucks" like most people who've given it one cursory listen have posted across the web.

I would also like to add that Arcade Fire aren't even a "top 10" band for me.  If I've given off the impression that I've built a Win shrine or have a Funeral-themed sleeve, I apologize.

Edited by Derek™

8 hours ago, Sunshine said:

From his comment he's talking about me for whatever reason. Guess I'm obsessive. I act the same way about every release I'm excited for oops.

Wasn't using 'obsessive' in a negative way, no dig intended! I'd be a total hypocrite because I spent 99% of my day yesterday refreshing that TWIABP thread like a madman.

8 hours ago, Mattallurgist said:

Wasn't using 'obsessive' in a negative way, no dig intended! I'd be a total hypocrite because I spent 99% of my day yesterday refreshing that TWIABP thread like a madman.

Oops I got mixed up, I wasn't actually talking about you I agree with you. I was talking about Bake and his "it's so bad it's good" dig. Sorry about that.

And yeah back to what I said I act this way about everything I'm excited for. I'm not even that excited for the Twiabp record but I did the same thing you did lol

Edited by Sunshine

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I would argue it's less about the hobby and more about a passion for music.  I anticipate new albums a lot more than movies, TV shows, etc.  They're fun to get excited about and discuss with realistic expectations.

I usually was in this mindset

but since 2015 it's almost the opposite for me, in that I'm more excited about new TV shows

maybe I'm loosing that passion or the quality overall in rock or indie / DIY hasn't been the same as it was in the mid to late '00s

:shrug

Edited by hobbesthecat

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I would argue it's less about the hobby and more about a passion for music.  I anticipate new albums a lot more than movies, TV shows, etc.  They're fun to get excited about and discuss with realistic expectations.

I get ya! I was always in that boat, I find that lately this has waned a little. Yet, I still spend way more time lurking on here than I like to admit because I really just enjoy following these kinda of discussions, and I've thankfully heard a tonne of stuff I never would have before which sorta justifies the time! 

Back to EN - I've got to admit that after initially rolling my eyes I'm beginning to find their whole 'cross-platform marketing' dealio to be absolutely hilarious:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/31/16072754/arcade-fire-fidget-spinner-everything-now

I just know someone out in the world got real, real excited for a moment.

I was at the Reckless signing this past Saturday. Their signatures aren't that great and they were only signing the new record. Still very cool to have IMO. Talked to Win about basketball for 3 solid minutes. Also, saw them both at the Metro and Lolla this weekend. The new material sounds phenomenal live! 

1 hour ago, AdamJNovak said:

I was at the Reckless signing this past Saturday. Their signatures aren't that great and they were only signing the new record. Still very cool to have IMO. Talked to Win about basketball for 3 solid minutes. Also, saw them both at the Metro and Lolla this weekend. The new material sounds phenomenal live! 

That Metro show sounded like it was something special. I was lucky enough to catch them at one of the surprise shows they did in Brooklyn right before Reflektor came out in an empty warehouse. Ran into Win after in the alley behind the venue, couldn't have been nicer. 

3 hours ago, AdamJNovak said:

The real winner this past weekend was the Foo show at the metro. 3 1/2 hrs. It was incredible! I know, not AF releated, just thought I needed to say something since we're talking about this past weekend. 

Yep, in my previous post I typed out saying that I wish I could've landed tickets to Foo Fighters too, but then deleted it since it wasn't AF related haha. I got lucky enough getting AF, so I wasn't too bummed to be unsuccessful with the FF ticket sale.

Love it, like it, or hate it.  This album is exactly what I expected.  I really liked The Suburbs and then Reflektor came as somewhat of a shock to me, but it really grew on me and seeing them on that tour cemented it.  You could tell at that point they were moving in a different direction and the singles released beforehand represent the album fairly.  Again, just as I expected.  I like it.  Yes Funeral is an excellent album, but it came out 13 years ago.  Shit 13 years ago I was in high school, things change.  It's cliche, but we live in a different world now.  

12 hours ago, AdamJNovak said:

The real winner this past weekend was the Foo show at the metro. 3 1/2 hrs. It was incredible! I know, not AF releated, just thought I needed to say something since we're talking about this past weekend. 

I'm not sure if my body can handle 3 and a half hours of any band these days, hahah. Sounds like it was absolutely incredible, though. Good for FF to put on a real memorable night