Sgt. Pepper Vinyl

Good morning everyone. WE are new here on The Vinyl Collective and enjoying getting going!

Purchased the Double Vinyl Sgt. Pepper LP on the day of issue. Loving it! First new vinyl I've bought in 30 years. Hope Giles will give The White Album next year and Abbey Road in 2019!

Any other thoughts...comments...etc. Any other Beatleologists (like me) out there!

Remember...to be kind to everyone.

Marc

Welcome to VC. Always happy to greet a fellow enthusiast. Please remember to have a thick skin as the inevitable responses roll in. You'll find this forum more useful for newer artists and releases, but there are definitely some folks that can converse about the classic rock with you. This forum leans heavily toward punk and rock so you may not have any interest in the majority of threads that pop up, but if you have an open mind to new music, you may discover some artists you like. Good luck and have fun.

So the double LP, the second disc is the demos or outakes? Is the remaster on the first disc the same as previous? I love this album, and I have a new old, messy, not so good looking pressing I received from someone, and I've definitely been wanting to upgrade to something cleaner. I'm not sure I would actually listen to the additional tracks though.

6 minutes ago, THE_James_Champ said:

So the double LP, the second disc is the demos or outakes? Is the remaster on the first disc the same as previous? I love this album, and I have a new old, messy, not so good looking pressing I received from someone, and I've definitely been wanting to upgrade to something cleaner. I'm not sure I would actually listen to the additional tracks though.

First LP is a new stereo mastering of the original. It sounds superb, a really really solid job - well worth having on the shelf.

The second is the same tracks but different takes of them, apparently previously unheard. I believe there is chat on there too about how to make the song sound etc - looking forward to spinning it...might stick it on now.

Well worth the purchase I'd say - one of the all time great albums.

5 hours ago, Marc P. Mailhot said:

Good morning everyone. WE are new here on The Vinyl Collective and enjoying getting going!

Purchased the Double Vinyl Sgt. Pepper LP on the day of issue. Loving it! First new vinyl I've bought in 30 years. Hope Giles will give The White Album next year and Abbey Road in 2019!

Any other thoughts...comments...etc. Any other Beatleologists (like me) out there!

Remember...to be kind to everyone.

Marc

Hey Marc, welcome!  Love Maine (especially Portland - likely my favorite city in the world).

A bit of advice.  For anything pertaining to sound quality especially releases from the 90s and older, the Steve Hoffman forums is the best reference anywhere on the internet.  I would say for classic rock/pop discussion there is likely no better place to go.  Also I would argue a large group of the people at the Hoffman forums are true audiophiles in the true sense of the term (likely due to the demographics having the experience in this area and budget to afford more expensive equipment).

The VC forums (not to be confused with the VC Facebook/YouTube community which is something entirely different) is "generally" focused on releases from the 90s to current day, especially those in specific genres like indie, punk, emo, ambient, shoe gaze, etc, etc.  Also colour and limited pressings appeal more here then over there.

The 50th anniversary edition isn't simply a remaster,  it's a completely new mix using the first generation tapes of tracks (i.e. going back to the original takes before they were bounced down to open more tracks for overdubs). So there is clarity to the instruments that has never heard before since the original method of recording literally required degradation as they went. It's also mixed in a more normal stereo fashion as opposed to the wacky, novelty stereo placements in the original stereo mix. They've also corrected mistakes made in the original stereo mixes that ignored effects and certain tape speed manipulation the band did in the mono mix (the mix they worked on and approved). 

1 minute ago, Marc P. Mailhot said:

WE are 6 miles west of Portland and will check out the Hoffman Chat...

Thanks.

Marc

Awesome!

And regarding the Hoffman side of things, it is the polar opposite of here for Peppers meaning there are multiple (I mean double digits) threads on this release all with different specific topics.  And the main topic has multiple threads as well with the first thread being 905 pages of replies!

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sgt-peppers-50th-anniversary-editions-to-be-released-may-26-2017-anticipation-thread.654994/

It's superb, and the price point isn't awful considering it's half speed mastered at abbey road. A single lp mofi runs $35, I look at it for $5 more you get the outtakes lp, extensive linear notes and all the packaging is reproduced except double gatefold and 2 blood sleeves this time, as well as 2 polylined inners. I'm really happy with my purchase

12 hours ago, dawhizz said:

I've heard nothing but great things about this. It's my 4 year olds favorite album and will probably be my next purchase. 

Excellent parenting. My parents introduced me to it when I was in elementary school! Just maybe hold off on showing them the Sgt. Peppers movie... my parents got it for my birthday in 5th grade, but they forgot about all the sex and drugs hahaa.  Although, at 4 it'd all be completely over their head!

Edited by nardes