PO: Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile To The Surface (7-28-17)

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

I've been off the MO bandwagon for a while but this might be their most complete album yet.  I hated Cope after one listen.  This album is a 180 from that.  Can't wait for more listens.

I'm the exact opposite.  I thought Cope was a really solid album and after three listens of this one I'm happy I skipped out.  Bummed too because I was really hyped for this.

59 minutes ago, njpunkmusic said:

album is finally growing on me, but still my least favorite MO album.  Just too soft.  Its a going to bed kind of album.  It needs a little more life to the songs

The lack of breakdowns is also problematic to me. I need more of that bass drum and drop D palm mutes.

I don't understand the soft complaints. The Gold, The Moth, Lead, SD, The Grocery, The Wolf, and especially The Silence are pretty huge sounding rock songs. Yeah, they are much more dynamic than COPE so they have quieter parts, but that makes the "heavy" parts hold even more weight.

On 7/31/2017 at 11:41 PM, shamrocks said:

yeah while i dont agree with you on Cope, I think this one is probably their best.

As I type this I'm listening to Cope again for the first time since it came out.  I was definitely harsh on it at the time.  Still not my favorite, but some parts are jumping out at me a little more than I remember.  Heavier 90s vibe than I picked up on before.

Question for the folks that have been following MO forever (or more specifically MO's merch store). Does the band ever have an overflow of a specific item from a bundle? Really digging that A Black Mile To The Surface T-Shirt and didn't pull the trigger in time before all the bundles were sold out. 

Side note -- I'm thinking Manchester really out did themselves on this album. Haven't stopped listening to it since it's been released. Front to back -- The Grocery is a stand out track for me. 

Edited by Tamubro

Finding the same phenomenon I find with most MO albums (except Cope) - I listen once through and think "this is a pretty good batch of songs", then two days later it's all I can listen to. Lead, SD is the only one I don't really like. 

Does anyone happen to know if The Alien is based on an actual event? Sounds like it might be, but it's so hard to tell. 

Also, for anyone else who was going slightly crazy thinking the repeated strummed chords that recur in The Moth (like after the intro) sounded really familiar, I finally realized they reminded me of The Dryness and the Rain. 

Edited by dawhizz

1 hour ago, dawhizz said:

Finding the same phenomenon I find with most MO albums (except Cope) - I listen once through and think "this is a pretty good batch of songs", then two days later it's all I can listen to. Lead, SD is the only one I don't really like. 

Does anyone happen to know if The Alien is based on an actual event? Sounds like it might be, but it's so hard to tell. 

Also, for anyone else who was going slightly crazy thinking the repeated strummed chords that recur in The Moth (like after the intro) sounded really familiar, I finally realized they reminded me of The Dryness and the Rain. 

So glad you mentioned that. That bridge part in Lead, SD also reminds me of mwY.

• 10 months later...
58 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

7” of new single “I Know How to Speak” on sale. 

https://themanchesterorchestrastore.myshopify.com/products/i-know-how-to-speak-7-pre-order

Also the band announced that they're going to be releasing a documentary about the recording of the album with the same title, way to bury the lead 

8 minutes ago, AWasteOfATime said:

Also the band announced that they're going to be releasing a documentary about the recording of the album with the same title, way to bury the lead 

As an almost lifelong South Dakota resident, I'm really interested to see if they get into what piqued a bunch of Georgia boy's interest about Lead and the Homestake gold mine as a concept for this album.  Haven't read anything about that unless any of y'all have seen something.  Also this was probably my favorite album of last year regardless of all that, after being casually aware of the band for a while and getting into Cope and Hope after those came out.

41 minutes ago, AWasteOfATime said:

I mean, I’m into the doc, but this is a vinyl forum, right? At least between the T Swizzle gifs?

12 hours ago, dawhizz said:

7” of new single “I Know How to Speak” on sale. 

https://themanchesterorchestrastore.myshopify.com/products/i-know-how-to-speak-7-pre-order

I love this track and keen to hear the acoustic version but $35 AUS shipped is rich for a 7". I don't think I've bought a 7" in the last 4 years I've been happy with the sound quality either so gonna have to give this a miss :(