PO NOW: The Killers - Wonderful Wonderful

3 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

Damn, liking this album a lot more than I thought and now I want a pink copy lol

Yeah I listened during my commute today and was surprised by how much I dug it, then grabbed one of those $45 copies. Still insanely expensive but whatever.

I saw them at Lollapalooza last month and their set didn't do anything for me. Sorta thought I was done with them but apparently not... 

Amazon has the import of the deluxe vinyl. It says it's coming out Sept 29th but I guess that could still change. I ordered one on Deep Discount last week because it was nearly $15 cheaper (with that same release date) but got refunded the next day, saying it was "out of stock".

https://www.amazon.com/Wonderful-Deluxe-Killers/dp/B075J2W6GT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506174265&sr=8-1&keywords=killers+deluxe+vinyl

Solid album. Gets off to a completely terrible start with the title track and "The Man" (easily tied with "Joy Ride" as their worst all time song), but it picks up pretty quickly right after that.

And yeah, the writing is on the wall with this lineup stuff, at least as far as Keuning goes. Aside from not touring, not appearing in any press photos, not appearing in any music videos, and not appearing in any of the sleeve photos, the credits are very specific as to who played what on what song, revealing that he only played on 5 of the 10 songs ("The Man", "Rut", Life To Come", "Tyson Vs Douglas", and "Have All The Songs Been Written?") and is only credited as a writer on "Rut". It's notable that Jackknife Lee is credited as a guitarist on all songs.

Fairly obvious that Keuning has one foot out the door, which doesn't necessarily bother me personally, as I've never been an "original lineup" purist with the vast majority of bands I enjoy.

Until yesterday i also thought it missed  a little energy tbh, on a few songs brandon seemed to be back on the sam's town 'false pitch-train', too (especially 'life to come'), i love this on sam's town, here it seemed a little messy.

Yesterday I listened to it twice all the way through plus a few songs on their own and it really clicked....it's a beautiful album imo, remindes me a lot of 'so' and 'achtung baby'. The tracks i didn't like grew on me quite a lot in the last few days. The title track is such an intense grower, went for me from not knowing what to think of it to loving it. What seemed quite boring to me about 'Some kind of love' in the beginning has revealed itself to be absolutely beautiful and detailed, a very nice intermission between the more up-tempo tracks surrounding it.

Even the closer that i had my problems with at the start has turned out to be okay for me. It's not the best closer i would have wanted to hear, at least of right now, but it's not that bad. The rest of the tracks on this are absolutely killer.

In the end it's still probably my least favourite by them, but that's okay. It stands on it's own, i mean it doesn't even have the typical killers font on the cover which was maybe meant to show a change of pace in general.

But knowing that this album has the most writing credits from other people on it than any killers or flowers solo stuff before makes me very interested to see what they will do in the future. In the past, the people that held them back from making a new album + tour were the guys that are now not touring with them anymore. So maybe we'll get the next album sooner as expected, with material that otherwise would probably land on the third flowers record.

1 hour ago, DASiano said:

Solid album. Gets off to a completely terrible start with the title track and "The Man" (easily tied with "Joy Ride" as their worst all time song), but it picks up pretty quickly right after that.

And yeah, the writing is on the wall with this lineup stuff, at least as far as Keuning goes. Aside from not touring, not appearing in any press photos, not appearing in any music videos, and not appearing in any of the sleeve photos, the credits are very specific as to who played what on what song, revealing that he only played on 5 of the 10 songs ("The Man", "Rut", Life To Come", "Tyson Vs Douglas", and "Have All The Songs Been Written?") and is only credited as a writer on "Rut". It's notable that Jackknife Lee is credited as a guitarist on all songs.

Fairly obvious that Keuning has one foot out the door, which doesn't necessarily bother me personally, as I've never been an "original lineup" purist with the vast majority of bands I enjoy.

It's also strange that he's is in some new pictures/videos of the band used on Spotify's Rock This playlist, with Mark Stoermer missing, but I believe that was shot before he stopped touring late this summer. (I took a screenshot below)

1vm27K5.jpg

Edited by patreeeek

23 hours ago, Kanye West said:

No idea what the fuck album you guys are listening to but as a long time super fan of The Killers, this is an absolutely middling album at best. 

Haha, yes it's middling and just decent and not great....  I'd say it's their 4th best album, which of 5 sounds like a bad thing.  But that being said, it means it's the best thing they've done in NINE years which is a big deal.  (because very obviously Battle Born is the worst.)  

I never ever expected a Killers album to come out and compete for a top 3 spot in their discography, it just isn't realistic.  It just had to be better than Battle Born, and i think it's a lot better, and I'm pretty happy with it.  More than anything else, it means a tour where they'll play like 5 songs off of it and all of the hits and i care about that much much more.

4 minutes ago, mmhmm said:

I think Battle Born is their best album.  Not kidding.  And I'm happy to remain in the vast minority on that point.  Maybe someday people will realize how good it is.

Yeah dude Battle Born is fucking rad. It's not my #1 personally but i never got the hate from all the people at all, even brandon says he wishes it would have been stronger...fucking love this record.