PO Now: Toro Y Moi - Boo Boo

http://store.carparkrecords.com/products/587128-cak121-toro-y-moi-boo-boo

Out 7/7

v600_cak121_toroymoi_booboo_900.jpg

After 7 years of touring and recording, I found myself becoming self conscious about my position in life as a “famous” person, or at least my version of whatever that is. My dreams had become my reality, yet I was somehow unable to accept this new environment. I couldn’t help but fall into what might be described as an identity crisis. A feedback loop of fearful thoughts left me feeling confused. I felt as though I no longer knew what it was that I actually wanted and needed in and out of life, and at times I felt unable to even tell what was real.

During this time of personal turmoil, I turned to music as a form of therapy, and it helped me cope with the pain that I was feeling. I’d listen to the same ambient song over and over again, trying to insulate myself from reality. I fell in love with space again.

By the time I felt ready to begin working on a new record, I knew that this idea of space within music would be something that propelled my new work forward. The artists that were influencing what I was making included everyone from Travis Scott to Daft Punk, Frank Ocean to Oneohtrix Point Never, Kashif and Gigi Masin. I recognized that the common thread between these artists was their attention to a feeling of space, or lack thereof. I decided that I wanted to make a Pop record with these ideas in mind. That idea for a record is what eventually became Boo Boo.

5 hours ago, Vector53 said:

I like the single as well. Holding off though since I want to hear the full album. What For never grabbed me as an album so I'm cautious for this one.

i own nearly all Toro's catalog, but i didn't buy 'What For' either.

based off the single this one sounds like his signature style

Edited by jaypeap
words

i'm so glad he decided to return to this. Agreed on what for ? it's great and all but it's just not him.

I just hope this auto tune bullshit isn't on the entire lp man you're better than that kitsch, can't believe that trend has lasted this long.

Edited by icecream

1 hour ago, armadillo01 said:

I like the Carpark version a bit more than the VMP, but the VMP will be cheaper and it's more exclusive... Hmm... :unsure:ISwMoq8.png

To be able to purchase grom VMP, you need a subscription right? How does it work? I've done the research but I'm usually not interested in their stuff but stuff like this and Gorillaz are some stuff it'd be great for.

Anyone have experience with this?

2 hours ago, JorgeRodriguez689 said:

To be able to purchase grom VMP, you need a subscription right? How does it work? I've done the research but I'm usually not interested in their stuff but stuff like this and Gorillaz are some stuff it'd be great for.

Anyone have experience with this?

Yeah you'd have to subscribe or ask someone in the VMP thread to buy it for you. I think you also need to subscribe for more than one month to have access to the store? I'm cancelling next month myself so I'm buying a few things...

49 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

No problem and it could be that you access the store with one month. Instead I think you're not allowed to swap the Record of The Month which seems to be Betty Davis (not the actress) for July.

14 hours ago, JorgeRodriguez689 said:

Awesome, thanks for the info!

You should be able to access the store with one month memberships.  When I joined I had access right away.