PO Now: (Thee) Oh Sees - Orc

7 minutes ago, ethereal said:

I cannot believe this was $38 shipped and isn't even a gatefold...

hate to be that guy, but this release was a total rip off in terms of pricing vs. what you actually get.

also pretty surprising seeing as their single LP albums are like $13-16

Their shipping prices are a little steep for sure, but the black version was significantly cheaper than the various colored variants.  I just checked before putting my foot in my mouth, and there have already been 3 of the orc-skeinned variants that sold on ebay for $100.  I agree that the price point does seem a bit high, but that seems to be the case with a lot of labels/bands of late.  Maybe I'm more willing to forgive it because I'm a slappy for the band/label.  

7 hours ago, ethereal said:

I cannot believe this was $38 shipped and isn't even a gatefold...

hate to be that guy, but this release was a total rip off in terms of pricing vs. what you actually get.

also pretty surprising seeing as their single LP albums are like $13-16

im surprised. the oh sees releases are normally sort of pricy, but the presentation and packaging is always so solid. can't believe they didn't make this a gatefold given they usually do a great job with that sort of thing.

I got my bone pressing from rough trade today. Sound great. Ty produced some of the album (it doesn't say what). 

Yeah, these are more expensive than a lot of pressings, but I don't blame them given flippers. CF deserves the cash. 

That at being said, the sleeve is tight for 2 records. Weird they didn't do a gatefold. 

20 hours ago, timsimmons said:

Yeah, these are more expensive than a lot of pressings, but I don't blame them given flippers. CF deserves the cash. 

so it's okay to blatantly gouge your releases because people sell them (just like any somewhat popular release)? where was I when the OCS were given this pass?

I think labels and acts gotta do what they need to do to get by. And if they can get a cut of the secondary market, more power to them. 

Ultimately it sucks for the the fan where $35 is a stretch, they get hurt one way or the other. But again, the market will correct if CF is biting off too much. But if this isn't the way to do it, I don't know of a better way.  The black LP is $24 at Amazon. I don't think thats too unreasonable for a 2LP album.  I mean, they are really only going after the nerds who collect this shit. They are the only ones who are getting priced out. But they also seem to have the disposable income to buy this stuff. 

Edited by timsimmons

18 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I think labels and acts gotta do what they need to do to get by. And if they can get a cut of the secondary market, more power to them. 

Ultimately it sucks for the the fan where $35 is a stretch, they get hurt one way or the other. But again, the market will correct if CF is biting off too much. But if this isn't the way to do it, I don't know of a better way.  The black LP is $24 at Amazon. I don't think thats too unreasonable for a 2LP album.  I mean, they are really only going after the nerds who collect this shit. They are the only ones who are getting priced out. But they also seem to have the disposable income to buy this stuff. 

The answer is it should have been a gatefold like all double LPs deserve, especially if you're charging $30.

Fuck yes, mine came in today although tracking was telling me it wouldn't arrive till Monday. 

Yes, the sleeve is tight for 2 LPs - even with one of the inner sleeves empty as LP 1 is on the platter, it's tight. But the paper quality and inner sleeves are nice. I don't see that this is worth throwing a fit over. I'll just store the inner sleeves/records in the bag as it was shipped. 

I do want to say that when I pulled the LPs out of the inner sleeves it felt/sounded like sandpaper. :unsure:  I may store them in different sleeves.

Definitely a very good album, and, as far as I can see now, it will probably be one of my favorite of theirs. Still waiting for my LP to arrive though, ordered the indie version (was afraid I was gonna miss the CF editions, which is exactly what happened), which is on its way. Hopefully it will be here soon

22 hours ago, timsimmons said:

The red splatter on gold looks pretty cool in person. 

Yeah, it looks great. I'm kinda disappointed it wasn't a gatefold release, but I like the texture of the cover, and the inner sleeves are thick and nice looking.

And a new one coming already.... and co-written with Brigid no less?!  ^_^