PO Now: (Thee) Oh Sees - Orc

11 hours ago, numanoid said:

Has anybody received their copies from the second batch that went up? Mine shows that it shipped on 9/9 but it was never Picked up by usps. 

Yep, same situation for me. I emailed Matt on Saturday and haven't gotten a response.... then I noticed that in the last newsletter, he said he was leaving for tour on the 9th and that any orders on or after 9/9 wouldn't go out until October. I definitely ordered mine on the 8th, but maybe he got pressed for time and didn't actually get them shipped? What day did you order yours?

Edited by swazzyswess

Here's the thing:

I ordered 1 of each version when the second set of preorders went up. I received notice the very next day (Saturday, September 9th) that my order had shipped. Two weeks later, it hadn't arrived and the USPS tracking link they sent me still had it in "Pre-Shipment" status. So, on Sept. 23, I sent Castle Face a note. It was friendly and short, basically just asking what was up with my order, had it shipped yet, that kind of thing. No reply.

I waited another week, and on Sept. 30, I sent them a second note. It was similar to the first, though a bit more direct about my worries. I'm pretty poor and don't often spend $100+ on a single vinyl order. No reply.

In a few days, it'll be a month since they supposedly shipped my order. I'm going to send yet another email this Friday, but I don't expect to hear back from them. I guess I have to file a PayPal claim, something I've never once had to do in nearly a decade of online vinyl buying. And I'm really fucking bummed. I've been a fan of John Dwyer's music & noise since forever. I saw Pink and Brown on their final tour, saw Zeigenbock Kopf wreck the Comet Tavern, saw The Coachwhips several times before Oh Sees even existed. I've been collecting Oh Sees (et al) vinyl & going to their shows since 2005/6. And this has cast a small shadow on that.

I still love the band, though I no longer live in a place where I can see them often, but it's hard not to view Matt & Castleface with frustration. 

Edited by conedust
edit: for trying to make nice

2 minutes ago, conedust said:

Here's the thing:

I ordered 1 of each version when the second set of preorders went up. I received notice the very next day (Saturday, September 9th) that my order had shipped. Two weeks later, it hadn't arrived and the USPS tracking link they sent me still had it in "Pre-Shipment" status. So, on Sept. 23, I sent Castle Face a note. It was friendly and short, basically just asking what was up with my order, had it shipped yet, that kind of thing. No reply.

I waited another week, and on Sept. 30, I sent them a second note. It was similar to the first, though a bit more direct about my worries. I'm pretty poor and don't often spend $100+ on a single vinyl order. No reply.

In a few days, it'll be a month since they supposedly shipped my order. I'm going to send yet another email this Friday, but I don't expect to hear back from them. I guess I have to file a PayPal claim, something I've never once had to do in nearly a decade of online vinyl buying. And I'm really fucking bummed. I've been a fan of John Dwyer's music & noise since forever. I saw Pink and Brown on their final tour, saw Zeigenbock Kopf wreck the Comet Tavern, saw The Coachwhips several times before Oh Sees even existed. I've been collecting Oh Sees (et al) vinyl & going to their shows since 2005/6. And this has kind of ruined that.

I still love the band, though I no longer live in a place where I can see them often, but it's hard not to view Matt & Castleface as a bag of thankless dicks.

He posted a comment on Facebook 10 hrs ago that he just returned from the tour, and will be responding to all the emails in regards to the orders that were placed right before he left to go on tour.

16 minutes ago, Okami said:

He posted a comment on Facebook 10 hrs ago that he just returned from the tour, and will be responding to all the emails in regards to the orders that were placed right before he left to go on tour.

Yikes! Shut my mouth.

I hope I do hear from them, cuz I've been frustrated about this for a couple weeks now...

While I do think Castleface should post updates on Twitter, I don't have Facebook but even I knew he was going on tour and wasn't gonna be able to get to all the packages. (It may have been posted earlier in the thread too. Or the Castleface thread) I don't think its unreasonable that he wasn't gonna do business stuff when he wasn't going to be there. Its a small operation. A little due diligence of checking their public facebook page would have told you that he was gone. 

Just got a note from Matt - who is really quite nice, and I should be flogged for suggesting otherwise - saying that he's reshipping my order. Apparently they did have someone covering the shop while the band was on tour, but he was "in over his head a little". Which I can totally understand. Because the mania. I blame Rollins.

48 minutes ago, conedust said:

Just got a note from Matt - who is really quite nice, and I should be flogged for suggesting otherwise - saying that he's reshipping my order. Apparently they did have someone covering the shop while the band was on tour, but he was "in over his head a little". Which I can totally understand. Because the mania. I blame Rollins.

Good to know! I'll probably wait a day or two to follow up but I'm getting pretty antsy as well 

Fuck.

What is your guys' experience with replacing vinyl through Castle Face?Quality control on these things is really below par. Got all three variants to offset the high shipping cost and sell the remaining copies for price but sarted checking for imperfections and seems no copy is without fault.

The haze probably scratched by merely taking it out of the sleeve (due to all that factory residue), the orc-skeined one had a dent and a scratch (none of which fortunately affect play). Yet to check the Gildan but fear that is deemed to be the worst going off all the feedback I've seen so far. To top that off, my order was missing the Gizzard record I ordered. This hype machine really doesn't run well oiled.

Very bummed and increasingly veering towards not buying coloured vinyl anymore, the pay-off of owning a piece of visual art along with the music just isn't worth all the hassle when you either have the choice of accepting a marred audible experience or sending that shit back.

/well ventilated

Edited by JoshuaNilk

New records rarely arrive in perfect condition in my experience, regardless of color.  Residue is a huge problem, which I think has to do with the vinyl revival, plants are just trying to get things out the door as fast as possible.  Labels using plain paper inners (instead of poly-lined) is also part of the problem.

1 hour ago, JoshuaNilk said:

Fuck.

What is your guys' experience with replacing vinyl through Castle Face?Quality control on these things is really below par. Got all three variants to offset the high shipping cost and sell the remaining copies for price but sarted checking for imperfections and seems no copy is without fault.

The haze probably scratched by merely taking it out of the sleeve (due to all that factory residue), the orc-skeined one had a dent and a scratch (none of which fortunately affect play). Yet to check the Gildan but fear that is deemed to be the worst going off all the feedback I've seen so far. To top that off, my order was missing the Gizzard record I ordered. This hype machine really doesn't run well oiled.

Very bummed and increasingly veering towards not buying coloured vinyl anymore, the pay-off of owning a piece of visual art along with the music just isn't worth all the hassle when you either have the choice of accepting a marred audible experience or sending that shit back.

/well ventilated

I only bought one variant, the orc skeinned and it sounds great. I have put it under the magnifying glass for imperfections, but haven't noticed anything

On 10/10/2017 at 6:13 AM, JoshuaNilk said:

The haze probably scratched by merely taking it out of the sleeve (due to all that factory residue), the orc-skeined one had a dent and a scratch (none of which fortunately affect play).

Okay, first of all, I finally got my records! Yee-ah. Only took about a week once I finally got a hold of Matt (who rules).

That said, I did exactly the same as you, Joshua, and had similar problems. There's a small scratch/mark on side A of my "Orc-skeined Water" copy, but as with yours, it doesn't seem to affect play. In fact, it plays quite well, with very few clicks or pops and a reasonably low level of surface noise. I was prepared for worse, given the tricky pressing. The other two seem fine. Poisonous Bloom was coated in nasty grit, but I'd heard in advance that might be the case and was super careful in removing the disks from the sleeves. Gave them a thorough cleaning, dusted out the sleeves, and it's good to go. Gilden Axehead has no obvious problems.

With those three, I also ordered two copies of King Gizzard's Mind Fuzz on clear w/ black smoke. Unsurprisingly, I only received one. Kind of a bummer, but Matt refunded the item price and most of the shipping charge for my whole order within a few hours of my writing Castle Face about it, so I've got no complaints. I suspect everyone over there is pretty consistently relaxed, if you know what I mean...

I don't think they'll replace the colored vinyl versions in kind. They explicitly said up front that they couldn't, that they could only promise to exchange lost or damaged colored vinyl for black. If you want to exchange more than one and don't want multiple black vinyl copies, I suspect they'll offer a partial refund. I doubt that your copies are much worse than most others out there, though. And even if you did get colored vinyl replacements, they'd probably be similar. If I were you, I'd keep and/or sell what you have. 

Edited by conedust
edit: for to heed the KING

Cheers for the encouragement. I never expected a replacement for the Orcs, was just bummed to see the variants not hold up to criticism.

Luckily someone was already interested in one copy so I won't be left hanging onto them for too long. I myself just need one listenable copy and I'm good but would just be glad to sell people records without any faults you know? But I guess as long as inform them beforehand, all is good.

• 2 months later...

If you missed the news, black copies will be up early next year. Electric Blue already shipped. Hopefully mine arrives before the weekend!

If you've received yours, how is it?!

https://www.castlefacerecords.com/products/oh-sees-dead-medic-12

(pics from reddit user MyTeamSUPREME)

ahrGBwVl.jpgyyro1ZXl.jpgVu9CNDPl.jpg

"DEAR FANS AND FRIENDS

HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU. WE HOPE, FOR YOU, THAT THIS WINTER SEASON IS FULL OF GOOD FOOD, DRINK, ART, AND LOVE.
THIS 12″ SINGLE WAS CULLED FROM SOME LONGER JAMS DURING THE ORC SESSIONS (ONE OF WHICH IS A COVER OF A MOST EXCELLENT OLD SCHOOL SWEDISH BAND CALLED “TRÄD GRÄS OCH STENAR“) AND WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE THRU OUR WEBSITE.

THIS ONE IS FOR OUR FANS, ITS A YEAR END HOLIDAY CELEBRATION SLAB OF WAX MEANT TO PUT AWAY OUR OLD 2017 EGO AND PUSH FORWARD INTO 2018, A YEAR WHERE WE ALL DO BETTER BY OURSELVES, BY OTHERS AND BY THE WORLD.

ITS BEEN A HEAVY ONE, NO DOUBT, BUT THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE AND STRENGTH. SO SIT BACK AND FEAR NOT, YOU WON’T HAVE TO GET UP AGAIN TO FLIP IT FOR LIKE…11 MINUTES.
TAKE A BREATH AND LOOK FORWARD.

BE WELL AND MUCH LOVE
OH SEES"