PO: Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun

57 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

SJW? Because they referred to a racist as being just that and mentioned that Wolfe has disowned him? That you considered "awful"?

That wasn't the only thing. I don't agree with NPR's political leanings, which is fine, because I can respectfully disagree with different opinions.  But I found the mentioning of Burzum completely unnecessary, and the accusation of cultural appropriation and the linked article ridiculous. It just ended up being a bit too much for me in a music article/review.  

i might as well start loving etchings though. Seeing as the Queens album, Foo Fighters, and now this record is sporting an etching. In this case, if you can't beat 'em...

1 hour ago, kannibal said:

That wasn't the only thing. I don't agree with NPR's political leanings, which is fine, because I can respectfully disagree with different opinions.  But I found the mentioning of Burzum completely unnecessary, and the accusation of cultural appropriation and the linked article ridiculous. It just ended up being a bit too much for me in a music article/review.  

i might as well start loving etchings though. Seeing as the Queens album, Foo Fighters, and now this record is sporting an etching. In this case, if you can't beat 'em...

Re: Etchings; I think its just a way that labels try to beautify a side that would otherwise be blank when the music won't fit on 2 sides but doesn't need more than 3.

As far as NPR is concerned, I feel they have in general an acceptably humane leaning with less bias than any other news source I've received. It may have been a reach to mention the Burzum thing but I don't find any problem in it. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to remind the audience where someone stands especially if its important enough to the artist to make it clear the first time. Maybe it was the writer's dilemma to use real examples of their featured artist's history to make the genre association clear but also to retain the political separation between the artist being discussed and one of the examples of said artists' source of genre influence.

And not to stir shit, but I always feel a bit uneasy when people express an intimidation to what they call Social Justice Warriors. I can agree that there is a level of political correctness that goes too far technically and only serves to hinder a supposed SJW's ability to properly identify and keep tabs on its antagonists but if the way in which someone insults another is by referring to them as a SOCIAL JUSTICE warrior, what is it about social justice that makes that person uneasy? It just seems like its goes against a basic level of decency in humanity to have such an issue with social justice, whether its propagated by so-called "warriors" of that cause or not. I guess I'm saying it doesn't bode well to put such a negative slant on such a phrase.

Edited by mcpherson123

9 hours ago, blanketburrito said:

Are there any oxbloods available anywhere? Looks like Amoeba and Bullmoose don't have em anymore.

My local has a few. I'm picking mine up this afternoon.  http://store.ugsounds.com/chelsea-wolfe-hiss-spun-lp-oxblood-and-black-vinyl/dp/21087

Reckless.com also has it listed

Edited by fish

Saw both the plain black and the black/oxblood variants at Reckless today. Didn't pick this up but but grabbed the first two EYEHATEGOD records from the 2017 Emetic press and a UK original Modest Mouse The Moon & Antarctica for a steal. I really want to listen to Hiss Spun all the way through before I purchase. Anyway, I guess my point is to corroborate that both those variants of Hiss Spun were on shelf at Reckless today.