Protective Outer Sleeves?

I began collecting vinyl again about 6 months ago, and have a collection of about 175 records at this point. I've replaced all the inner sleeves with poly-lined sleeves, but to date have not bothered to use the protective outer sleeves. This afternoon, on a rainy, muggy, humid day in NYC, I walked into the room where my records are kept and noticed that many, especially those towards the front (I store a big portion of them record store style, allowing me to flip through them), had that sort of wavy look along the edge where the record slides out. I immediately turned the AC on to help dehumidify the room, but was wondering if perhaps keeping records in the outer sleeves would help protect them from the humidity in the future... Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

I haven't swapped out my inner sleeves either.  What do you guys do with the printed inner sleeves when you have to  replace them?

Also yes.  Outer sleeves as soon as possible.

I bought a 12"x12" artbin and put the printed sleeves in there. The generic sleeves get recycled. I use the Mofi sleeves and I've been extremely pleased with them.

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

I just stick my mofi inners into the printed inners so they just become lined printed inners. Fits in almost every record I own with them.

That's fine If you want to ruin your printed inners.  If you replace a printed inner just simply put it back in the jacket.

Thanks for the replies, everyone... I just ordered some of the 3 mil sleeves off Amazon. I didn't like the idea of the ones with the flap - seems like just one step too many for simply getting a record out of its sleeve and onto the turntable. Are the 3 mil ones clear though? I read somewhere (after ordering) that they tend to be sort of hazy, which would be a drag...

As for printed inner sleeves, I simply put them back in the cover, next to the record in its new poly lined sleeve. If the fit is too snug, I store the printed inners in a box I have from an old box set. Holds them nicely. I rarely look at the printed inner sleeves more than once or twice anyway so it's not a big deal to not have them with the record.

Edited by The Mule

7 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

Some can be hazy and some can be clear.  Usually the clear ones are noted as crystal clear. 

Ahhhh. I believe mine are the hazy type... Will cancel that order and keep looking for some that are clear and non resealable.... If anyone wants to recommend a particular brand, please feel free. :) 

I bought these a couple years ago: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NG2WIG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1qQrzbRKZZN2G

Mainly because it was a good deal.  Did the trick just fine for me.  Used em all up and haven't bought any since though.  Now I usually just grab a bunch when I go to my closest record store (30 minutes away) a few times a year.

Edited by FiggyPuddling

10 hours ago, mertzrock said:

That's fine If you want to ruin your printed inners.  If you replace a printed inner just simply put it back in the jacket.

If you're gonna try to talk down to someone at least back it up. A mofi sleeve adds less than a fraction of a millimeter to a record and fits like a glove. How does that ruin a piece of paper? What you do increases ringwear brah; don't overstuff!

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

If you're gonna try to talk down to someone at least back it up. A mofi sleeve adds less than a fraction of a millimeter to a record and fits like a glove. How does that ruin a piece of paper? What you do increases ringwear brah; don't overstuff!

Paper inner sleeves rip, especially over time.  Anything inside the paper inner can puncture a side at any time, even the edge of your inner sleeve that is put in the printed inner.  It's not a good idea...

Also, a regular insert or printed inner will NOT cause ring wear.  I've been collecting for almost 25 years and also work at a record pressing plant.  I'll believe me over you. I can back up my claims with my knowledge and experience. 

Also, I see you're in South Florida...PM me, I'd love to invite you out to SunPress Vinyl for a tour, which is the only pressing plant in South Florida.

Edited by mertzrock

5 hours ago, timsimmons said:

A few years ago I accidentally ordered the 5 mil sleeves. Haven't gone back. So durable and clear and worth the extra cost. 

Yes, 5 mil non-yellowing from Sleeve City. Help the jackets slide in and out so easily, a bit slippery and sharp edges, but they're tough.

I immediately wet clean and then into a Diskeeper or Mofi type inner sleeve and just stick the original in the jacket. I keep the vinyl outside the jacket like when shipping. Easy access and less 'ringwear' risk