Louisville, KY trip

Hey kiddos,

I'm going to visit some family in Louisville in July and it's been about 12 years since I've been back that way. Anything I need to check out? I was thinking about maybe heading out to some of the distilleries south of Louisville one day I'm there, and I forgot that Ear X-tacy closed back in '11.

What sort of great stuff is happening out that way? (Not super interested in 4th street though.)

I recently just went there to photograph a wedding.  My friends got married at Buffalo Trace, which was reeeeally cool. My buddy is huge into bourbon and works for Rabbit Hole. so it was a big deal for them to have the wedding at the distillery. That was my first time ever in KY. I spent two days down at the Red River Gorge which was amazing if you wanna hike / camp / swim, bit of a drive from louisville though.

thats all i got. 

1 hour ago, henster311 said:

I recently just went there to photograph a wedding.  My friends got married at Buffalo Trace, which was reeeeally cool. My buddy is huge into bourbon and works for Rabbit Hole. so it was a big deal for them to have the wedding at the distillery. That was my first time ever in KY. I spent two days down at the Red River Gorge which was amazing if you wanna hike / camp / swim, bit of a drive from louisville though.

thats all i got. 

That's awesome! I may make it down to Bardstown to see a distillery or two, but I'm only in town for a few days, mostly to see my grandma, so I won't be doing any camping or hiking unfortunately  :/

1 hour ago, texan4life said:

Louisville Slugger museum and factory interest you? I've never been but that's the first thought that came to my mind.

Did that as a kid and it was pretty great. I may have to check it out as an adult, something I was considering

Guestroom Records is where it's at now. Incredible selection. If you're into good pizza, Mellow Mushroom on Bardstown is fucking fantastic. I believe it's a chain but I've never seen another one. Gourmet ingredients and tons of good beers and ciders. If you want some local

New York style pie, Spinelli's is pretty alright for slice pie, and they'll probably have a good show happening as well. 

Hope you enjoy Louisville. It's my favorite place I've been, besides Seattle. 

1 hour ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Guestroom Records is where it's at now. Incredible selection. If you're into good pizza, Mellow Mushroom on Bardstown is fucking fantastic. I believe it's a chain but I've never seen another one. Gourmet ingredients and tons of good beers and ciders. If you want some local

New York style pie, Spinelli's is pretty alright for slice pie, and they'll probably have a good show happening as well. 

Hope you enjoy Louisville. It's my favorite place I've been, besides Seattle. 

Rad, thanks dude.

It's been a while since I've been back but I was born in New Albany, so we'd go across the river relatively often as a kid, and I started out going to college at U of L until I dropped out. These are exactly the type of recommendations I was looking for though.

1 hour ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Mellow Mushroom on Bardstown is fucking fantastic. I believe it's a chain but I've never seen another one. Gourmet ingredients and tons of good beers and ciders. 

Mellow Mushroom is a chain started in Athens, Georgia.  They're quite prevalent in the south, specifically college towns, but have grown a decent ways.  I know there's one in Iowa City now as well.   I personally love the chain, I've yet to have a sub par bite at any of their locations.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Rad, thanks dude.

It's been a while since I've been back but I was born in New Albany, so we'd go across the river relatively often as a kid, and I started out going to college at U of L until I dropped out. These are exactly the type of recommendations I was looking for though.

Totally forgot to mention it, but if you're gonna be there on the 17th, Galactic Empire is playing a show. I may be there haha. 

21 hours ago, birdwell said:

Go eat at 610 Magnolia or MilkWood

Will do!

2 hours ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Totally forgot to mention it, but if you're gonna be there on the 17th, Galactic Empire is playing a show. I may be there haha. 

I'm headed back before that, so I'll miss it :/ That would actually be super fun to check out.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

• 1 month later...

Bumping this as I'll be in Louisville in September...does anyone have any advice on bourbon tasting on the Eastern part of the trail? Right now we're pretty much thinking Buffalo Trace, lunch at the BBQ spot there, Woodford Reserve, then Four Roses. BUT I hear Four Roses has some construction going on so we are considering swapping it out and doing Wild Turkey as our last stop instead. 

Oh, and coincidentally we have a reservation at MilkWood! Thinking about also going to the Garage for dinner on our second night in town.

• 4 months later...