Time to upgrade my speakers, shaky about my positioning/choice

Hey all. I've been rocking some Dayton B652s for years and they sound fine, but I'm realizing that with my massive record collection, I could be really hearing things a lot better if I upgraded my

Here's the view spun around in my computer chair of my speakers (circled in red): http://imgur.com/a/696Rx

These speakers are to pair with my Turntable (Pioneer PL-518X) and Receiver (Pioneer SX-790)

I'm thinking about these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014GSER6O -- If you have a better suggestion for the price (200 is sadly my budget at this moment), please don't hesitate to let me know!

I just am not sure if the positioning of my speakers is ideal (they're slightly pointed towards me. If you're facing them, my bed is to the right of me and I point them in that direction if I'm listening to music in bed

Gear is my weak point of knowledge and therefore I come to you, the experts. Thank you to anyone who can help.

I've read good things about ELAC, so that's likely a solid choice. Bumping up to the B6 would probably be worth it in the long run (I see there is currently a used pair on Amazon for $220), but I realize that's out of your budget. You might consider checking Craigslist for something used. Adding a sub at some point might be a good idea, though not everyone likes them. Just some thoughts from someone who's been through a few different sets of speakers, good luck!

I've  owned a few sets of speakers, I started with used vintage on the cheap, and sort of upgraded as my budget allowed.  I feel like one of my biggest mistakes was buying new in the couple hundred dollar range. As far as bang for your buck, buying new and buying cheap is not a great decision in my opinion.

If you're on a budget, your best will be to buy used, wether that be vintage or modern.  Vintage speakers are a gamble, especially if you aren't good with your hands. Buying modern used equipment from somewhere that will allow returns is a good option though. There are plenty of good bookshelf speakers you can find used for a couple hundred bucks, so your best bet is to just research best under $500 and wait for a good deal.

Your other option is to decide on a nicer speaker and save, waiting for a good deal. If I could have went back to the point where I had a used cheap system that I pieced together I would have decided on my dream deck, Dream amp, and dream speakers and saved and watched for deals. I would have spent a lot less money in the long term.

You can also watch for floor model sales on equipment as well. I have fairly expensive gear by my standards,  but didn't pay full price for any of it. 

On to speaker placement. There's tons of info on the web. At its most basic: Ideally you would listen to music in the same location every time. A triangle is formed of equal lengths between you, and the speakers. If you are 5 feet from each of the speakers, the speakers will be 5 feet from each other. The speakers ideally will not be on any sort of mdf or chipboard shelves. They will be isolated from vibration by use of stands. I personally like floor standing speakers, but if your room is small, they might not be needed. 

As far as a sub, audiophiles generally recommend against it as far as I can tell, especially when using decent full range speakers.  I have a fairly nice subwoofer, but I turn it off when I'm listen to music and on when I'm using my system for home theatre. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AktiMate-Micro-Red-2-way-40watt-Active-Speaker-System-w-iPod-USB-in-500-List-/112145745607?hash=item1a1c6846c7:g:encAAOSwu1VW4f4o

If you're still looking, get these speakers off of eBay. They sound fantastic for $160. It'll scratch the itch until you're ready to jump into the big leagues 

On 6/29/2017 at 2:55 PM, yanquiuxo said:

yeah, jumping from $60 bookshelf speakers to $200 bookshelf speakers (new) is not going to help you "hear things a lot better"IMHO

Save more or try to hunt down a good deal on some used speakers

I kind of disagree. The jump in quality at the low end can be enormous. I'm sure there are some new $200 speakers that crush all sub $100 pairs easily. The biggest problem I can see would be with sound preferences. They may be better, but would the user like the sound? 

Im sure the ELAC speakers would sound better than $60 Daytons. Polk (again, if you like the Polk sound) has their Monitor 60 floor standing speakers on sale places for around $100 each. 

Finding some one well cared for used speakers would be your best bet and will yield the best results. 

My my recommendation is to buy the 6.5" ELAC or the Polks from somewhere you can return them for any reason. Get them in your space and see if they are better. If not return them and continue saving.