New to Vinyl Records

Hey everyone. I'm new to everything involving vinyl records. The other day I was at my local DVD/CD/Record store and was picking up some DVD's when I saw some bags that had some mystery Vinyl Records for $3. And as someone who loves mysteries, cheap items, and who has always wanted to get into vinyl records, I bought a bag. In it were: "On the Waters" by Bread, "Enter In" by James Vincent, A Rusty Wier record, "Wooden Foot Cops on the Highway" by The Woodentops, "Breakfast Special" by Pete Wingfield, "Hustlin' Pays" by Nitro, and "One of Those Songs" by The Ray Charles Singers. I thought that that was pretty cool, even though I don't own a record player yet (or turntable, I forget the difference). So I looked up some of the songs on you tube and they're really good.

Now my question is, how do I find random albums for a low price to buy like the way I just did? I don't necessarily care who it's by, I just want to start collecting them and eventually play them. Or even if they aren't playable or they aren't in good condition, I'd still like to have some for aesthetic value as well I've always wanted to have a bookcase(s) in my house where there are just rows and rows of records that I can play whenever I want. Like how you see in some movies.

1 hour ago, PaperCutter said:

Now my question is, how do I find random albums for a low price to buy like the way I just did? I don't necessarily care who it's by, I just want to start collecting them and eventually play them. Or even if they aren't playable or they aren't in good condition, I'd still like to have some for aesthetic value as well I've always wanted to have a bookcase(s) in my house where there are just rows and rows of records that I can play whenever I want. Like how you see in some movies.

Hi, welcome.

You have signed up for a message board for people who really value purchasing, talking about, collecting and most of all listening to vinyl. Hopefully you'll be able to join in on the conversation. Very few people here have the time or tolerance for the fetishization of vinyl for aesthetic purposes, so be aware of this before you throw yourself under that bus.

Edited by bridley

48 minutes ago, deafening said:

All of my records are strictly for decoration.

You've come to the right place.

Really? Personally I find it's better to have them hidden away where no one can even see them, not even me. I just like to know they're there.

1 hour ago, PaperCutter said:

Hey everyone. I'm new to everything involving vinyl records. The other day I was at my local DVD/CD/Record store and was picking up some DVD's when I saw some bags that had some mystery Vinyl Records for $3. And as someone who loves mysteries, cheap items, and who has always wanted to get into vinyl records, I bought a bag. In it were: "On the Waters" by Bread, "Enter In" by James Vincent, A Rusty Wier record, "Wooden Foot Cops on the Highway" by The Woodentops, "Breakfast Special" by Pete Wingfield, "Hustlin' Pays" by Nitro, and "One of Those Songs" by The Ray Charles Singers. I thought that that was pretty cool, even though I don't own a record player yet (or turntable, I forget the difference). So I looked up some of the songs on you tube and they're really good.

As a more serious response, you say you want a bunch of records regardless of whether they're something you'd listen to, or if they're even able to be played. You then say you want a bookcase full of records you can play whenever you want...so instead of buying a bunch of really cheap records that may not even play/that you won't listen to because you don't like them, why not get some that you'll actually enjoy and listen to?

Get a record player before you own more than ten records too. Preferably something that won't ruin what records you do pick up.

Not sure where you are going with this? If you just want records to have records, I guess pick out the ones with the coolest looking album covers and display them on the wall or something? If you're just going for aesthetic, maybe look for empty record album covers for such a purpose, they will weigh less... 

Personally I spend a lot of time researching each record or artist before spending my money. I prefer quality over quantity. I have way too many hobbies to waste money on records that I am not even going to listen to. I also need to conserve my living space to store/display my Star Wars props and vintage video games.

Edited by Cardboard_Robot

46 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

I like to play my records with earplugs in.  That way I can imagine it being any record I want at any time.  I have every white whale I've ever wanted!

You could just put it on the turntable and spin it with no speakers connected. Just in case any sound leaks through and makes it to your ear drum, then ruining the fantasy. Or save the wear and tear on the vinyl by not having the stylus actually touch the grooves, just float the tone arm above it as it spins.

I can't imagine being this casual about music. Still if you really don't give a damn what you get most second hand stores, charity shops and even record stores normally have a bargain bin where old obscure beat up records go very cheap. Your first priority should really be finding an entry level record player, if your only spinning dollar bin albums that you had no interest in before I suppose it doesn't matter what you get in terms of sound systems. If you're going for solely aesthetics n not actually using the records then 12" record frames are readily available all over the shop and you can hang a few with album covers you like from the wall and be done with it. There's no need to fill a whole book case with random music picked up on a whim in the hopes you'll play it often because it generally comes across as music not really being your thing.