Oddest places you've seen records for sale.

There was (is?) a place in the middle of nowhere near Jackson, Michigan I think years ago.  I was driving some 2-lane country road on the way to my in-laws' cottage and I saw a record nailed to a tree near the road.  That was the sign.  It was a tiny shack that sold records and cigars (what a terrible combination).  80s picture sleeve 45s for days.  I think I bought an Ike & Tina 45 just to feel like I didn't completely waste my time there but it was pretty bleak.

35 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

That would be the "oddest place you've seen a record store". It's definitely not odd to see records for sale inside of one of those.

It's the most interesting post in this whole thread, so of course someone has to whine about it.

Best Buy used to have a way bigger vinyl section like 5-6 years ago actually. I knew a dude (not a friend) who would steal a backpack full once or twice a week.

My ex bought me a copy of Radiohead - In Rainbows at a Starbucks. I didn't personally see it for sale there, but I don't see why she'd lie about where she bought it. Lying about other things, sure. But that wouldn't make sense. Starbucks selling Radiohead vinyl though...that makes sense.

The weirdest place I ever actually saw records for sale was the tire and car stereo store that used to be next to my local bowling alley. I mean, a stereo store would make sense...but a store for car stereoes and tires? A bit odd. My ex girlfriend (different than the previously mentioned one not that it matters I'm just being detail oriented) bought a 12" copy of the MC Hammer song from Ghostbusters 2 there.

5 hours ago, Roandy55 said:

img.jpg

I remember reading about this a couple of years ago, the guy literally runs it from his back garden in a residential street in Peterborough. It is claimed to be the smallest record store in the UK, but they have a website and do RSD every year.

I don't think it's weird to see records in a record store :/ ...maybe a weird place to see a record store but not a weird place to see record. 

Ugh, this shitty place sells records.  I get dragged there with my gf occasionally.  

christmastreeshopslandingpage470x350.jpg

Last time they had discounted copies of Mariah Carey's xmas album, Elvis' Gold #1 Hits and BOWIE'S 'BLACKSTAR'?!

Everytime I end up buying some food items.  They ask for your zipcode so I use 18666, but I say it like '186...6..6' :lol:

Edited by curator

On 7/5/2017 at 2:02 PM, tug said:

I don't think it's weird to see records in a record store :/ ...maybe a weird place to see a record store but not a weird place to see record. 

Literally the direct response to that post, right below it.  Does this confirm that you don't actually read threads before shitposting in them?  I feel like it may.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Literally the direct response to that post, right below it.  Does this confirm that you don't actually read threads before shitposting in them?  I feel like it may.

Nah tugger is offended Dan posted his post better than him and is trying to do the same thing. Trying.

2 hours ago, curator said:

Ugh, this shitty place sells records.  I get dragged there with my gf occasionally.  

christmastreeshopslandingpage470x350.jpg

Last time they had discounted copies of Mariah Carey's xmas album, Elvis' Gold #1 Hits and BOWIE'S 'BLACKSTAR'?!

Everytime I end up buying some food items.  They ask for your zipcode so I use 18666, but I say it like '186...6..6' :lol:

Yo, I fucking hate this place. Occasionally I get dragged there because they have drug store makeup brands for cheap and my girlfriend is a makeup nerd (trips to Sephora and shit are the price I pay for her putting up with my records).

But seriously everything about that store makes me anxious. There's too much shit in there and too many middle aged women not knowing how to not be in everyone's god damn way. I need to smoke a bowl before we go in just to deal.

8 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Yo, I fucking hate this place. Occasionally I get dragged there because they have drug store makeup brands for cheap and my girlfriend is a makeup nerd (trips to Sephora and shit are the price I pay for her putting up with my records).

But seriously everything about that store makes me anxious. There's too much shit in there and too many middle aged women not knowing how to not be in everyone's god damn way. I need to smoke a bowl before we go in just to deal.

Next time I stay at this hotel in Portsmouth, NH that is right next to one of these places I must go in. Always been curious what it was all about.

18 minutes ago, crossedoutname said:

Probably not the oddest place but a friend of mine in Portland runs a hardcore/punk distro out of his barbershop on Sundays

That's the most Portland place someone has ever seen records for sale.

7 hours ago, dantheriver said:

Next time I stay at this hotel in Portsmouth, NH that is right next to one of these places I must go in. Always been curious what it was all about.

It's like if someone tidied up a Job Lots. It's also where I think "Live Love Laugh" signs are born.

7 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

That's the most Portland place someone has ever seen records for sale.

Show me a hardcore/punk distro in Portland that isn't run out of a barbershop exclusively on Sundays and I'll show you a rainbow unicorn eating four leaf clovers and pooping out sold-gold harmonicas. 

12 hours ago, Mourning Wood said:

I have to say I'm surprised by the number of VC dudes who apparently go to Cracker Barrel somewhat regularly. CB does not party.

I dunno, flipping through vinyl records in a rocking chair while taking Grandma out for chicken & dumplin's is about the most punk rock thing I can imagine. 

• 2 weeks later...