PO NOW: Circa Survive - The Amulet

4 hours ago, Bu$hleaguer said:

I'm going to start with on letting go. 

Definetly my favorite Circa Survive. It's also where I started listening to them back when it came out. The song "The difference between medecine.." was soo good I had to find out more about them. For me some of their more recent stuff hasn't been as stellar as that album and it's hard to tell based on the new single, but they might be able to resurrect that amazing sound. We will see. Regardless Anthony Green is a true talent and rarely disappoints.  

Edited by Cardboard_Robot

On 7/12/2017 at 2:44 PM, Daiei said:

Juturna is one of the best albums ever...definitely start there.

Just work chronologically...

Juturna will never be topped for me. One of my ten favorite albums ever probably. The feeling the first time I heard it..and seeing them play it live at North Star Bar with Receiving End when it first came out. 

On 7/15/2017 at 5:06 PM, SunsetDramaKing17 said:

Juturna will never be topped for me. One of my ten favorite albums ever probably. The feeling the first time I heard it..and seeing them play it live at North Star Bar with Receiving End when it first came out. 

Hell yea I was at that show, remember Anthony going on that strawberry rant? Haha that show was amazing.

4 hours ago, xfactor675 said:

yeah Circa is all about Juturna, they went downhill from there constantly with each album being worse than the previous, On letting go was the last good record. Sad story as I loved them back in the day.

I generally agree. Though I would say, Descensus might actually be a pretty good album. I own it, but have never listened to it. I just recently checked out some of the songs on youtube and there some pretty crazy shit going on with some of them. I heard "Schema" when it was first premiered and was not impressed that much so I never really gave the album a fair shake. I'm going to have give that one a full spin before I count them out on the steady decline thing and hopefully this new album will be awesome.

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

I generally agree. Though I would say, Descensus might actually be a pretty good album. I own it, but have never listened to it. I just recently checked out some of the songs on youtube and there some pretty crazy shit going on with some of them. I heard "Schema" when it was first premiered and was not impressed that much so I never really gave the album a fair shake. I'm going to have give that one a full spin before I count them out on the steady decline thing and hopefully this new album will be awesome.

what?  Descensus is fucking solid.  The only so-so album for me is Violent Waves and that's probably because I haven't given it a fair shake.  Everything else is varying levels of awesome.  

Honestly, most Circa records have at least 3 songs on them that just aren't as good as the really good songs.  I attribute that to them writing some mindblowingly awesome songs and just not being able to make every song that good.  It's ok though, half of the bands out there don't even write the mind blowing songs.

1 hour ago, highfives said:

what?  Descensus is fucking solid.  The only so-so album for me is Violent Waves and that's probably because I haven't given it a fair shake.  Everything else is varying levels of awesome.  

Honestly, most Circa records have at least 3 songs on them that just aren't as good as the really good songs.  I attribute that to them writing some mindblowingly awesome songs and just not being able to make every song that good.  It's ok though, half of the bands out there don't even write the mind blowing songs.

Well, that exactly my point for me and Descensus. I haven't given it a fair shake and I need to get on that. I have a feeling its got a bunch of great songs on it that I just haven't heard yet.

Edited by mcpherson123

Descensus is truly underrated. I really have no qualms with any of their work except for BSN. Circa's fanbase wouldn't be nearly  as cancerous if it wasn't for the cult of "BSN over everything" fuckboiz. BSN was the product of forcing an indie rock band to make a mainstream album on a big label and the outcome was very underwhelming and strained.

2 hours ago, ethereal said:

Descensus is truly underrated. I really have no qualms with any of their work except for BSN. Circa's fanbase wouldn't be nearly  as cancerous if it wasn't for the cult of "BSN over everything" fuckboiz. BSN was the product of forcing an indie rock band to make a mainstream album on a big label and the outcome was very underwhelming and strained.

I've been listening since the very beginning and think BSN has some of their best songs. I think Juturna and OLG are better, but I really love BSN. I wasn't into songs like Imaginary Enemy and Get Out, but some of the others are incredible. Highlights being Fever Dreams and I Felt Free. 

30 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

I've been listening since the very beginning and think BSN has some of their best songs. I think Juturna and OLG are better, but I really love BSN. I wasn't into songs like Imaginary Enemy and Get Out, but some of the others are incredible. Highlights being Fever Dreams and I Felt Free. 

And Through The Desert Alone and Dyed In The Wool! Can't forget about the Appendage track Lazarus too. 

15 hours ago, highfives said:

Love violent waves, personally. "Suitcase" and "bird sounds" are stellar. 

But i agree, every Circa fan owes it to themselves to give these albums multiple listens. 

Yeah every album has something worth listening to. I don't really put any album over another, but people putting BSN down need to watch some of the live stuff. The MySpace Sessions were pretty great (still on a YouTube cause MySpace is no longer a thing). The Jimmy Fallon performance aint that bad either. Wish label bureaucracy would let more bands like Circa be on late night shows.

10 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

Yeah every album has something worth listening to. I don't really put any album over another, but people putting BSN down need to watch some of the live stuff. The MySpace Sessions were pretty great (still on a YouTube cause MySpace is no longer a thing). The Jimmy Fallon performance aint that bad either. Wish label bureaucracy would let more bands like Circa be on late night shows.

Agreed. One of the best times I saw them was right when BSN dropped. Definitely one of my favorite albums of theirs. Such a solid album throughout. That being said, OLG era were some of their best live performances as well. 

54 minutes ago, lostindefeat said:

Agreed. One of the best times I saw them was right when BSN dropped. Definitely one of my favorite albums of theirs. Such a solid album throughout. That being said, OLG era were some of their best live performances as well. 

First time I saw them was right after BSN came out as well.  That show was incredible.  Even showed up early enough that Anthony was just hanging out and playing some acoustic stuff outside the venue with a small crowd around him.  Really cool.