[PO] Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Luciferian Towers

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, batman said:

Can music have spoilers?

Reveal hidden contents

Hmm. It's pretty dissonant for a majority of it. Melody at the end is very similar to 'Peasantry'.

Yes it can, and I 100% endorse the use of them.  Thank you for being considerate with those.

I read your spoiler despite holding off on hearing the track.  If we're looking at the actual songs - of which there are 4 - this "intro" track probably sets the mood for the first real act of the album (Bosses Hang).  It looks like they're following the same template that they used for their other post-reunion albums: two hearty songs and two interludes.  So in a way, this 7 minute track is probably our Lambs' Breath or Asunder Sweet, this time around.  And based off Batman's post [and some warm reception I've read in other places], it sounds like it's more interesting than a droney interlude.

28 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Yes it can, and I 100% endorse the use of them.  Thank you for being considerate with those.

I read your spoiler despite holding off on hearing the track.  If we're looking at the actual songs - of which there are 4 - this "intro" track probably sets the mood for the first real act of the album (Bosses Hang).  It looks like they're following the same template that they used for their other post-reunion albums: two hearty songs and two interludes.  So in a way, this 7 minute track is probably our Lambs' Breath or Asunder Sweet, this time around.  And based off Batman's post [and some warm reception I've read in other places], it sounds like it's more interesting than a droney interlude.

that's probably true about the structure. the song gets pretty dirge-y/anthemic as well. definitely a lot (too much?) going on in the dissonance (as in, not just fuzzy drones). once that falls off, you'll get the comparison to 'Peasantry' pretty quickly--very familiar melody. i agree that it'll probably make more sense in the context of the album. not sure if i really 'get it' as a stand-alone, which is probably true of at least 50% of GYBE tracks taken out of context. couldn't help listening to it, and definitely want to hear more.

Edited by batman

I like this!

Spoiler

Yeah this is crazy, it's definitely more involved than straight droning because there are chord changes throughout the first half, which is where I'm up to so far.  And drums too.  Very anthemic and a great build up.  It's a very neat mixture of consonance and dissonance because there is definitely an underlying melody center, but around the edges it's chaotic in a very cool way.  OOOO the chord change at 4:43 is great!!!!  

It gets a bit more triumphant (?) and wild towards the end, but it's a very one-dimensional track.... definitely an intro, chaos and dissonance spinning off like the corona of the sun.  There is a unified center but it's frayed around the edges.  And then yeah, the melody comes in for the last minute and a half, like some sun rays peeking through the clouds, until they dissipate enough to reveal a full glowing afternoon.  But it's not a happy afternoon, because you just learned your grandmother is dying. 

• 2 weeks later...

EARLY DROP!!!  EARLY DROP!!!

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/14/550446122/first-listen-godspeed-you-black-emperor-luciferian-towers

Bosses Hang is my favorite Godspeed song now.  Part 3.... ugh.  That is heaven for me.  That section could be 20 minutes long and I'd never get sick of it. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

So, who else thinks that Luciferian Towers is their best post-reunion album by, yeah, quite a bit? I feel they finally succeeded in crafting a well-rounded piece that is not just two longtracks and two drones while the latter don't actually add a thing next to 'time to breath' after/before the actual tracks. I'm also getting all sorts of warm and fuzzy feelings listening to this. The build-up of side a has me thinking Yanqui UXO which, as some people here might know, gets me extra-excited. Side b however has a wonderful, intricate and sorrowful post-war spaghetti western-vibe. It just breathes F#a#. The climax of Bosses Hang is pure nowadays-GYBE and I think it is their best one yet, post-reunion, that is. 

So, overall, I'm happy. Was expecting another good, but ultimately compatible album, but they delivered their best collection since Yanqui and what is quite certainly my favorite post-rock release of the year.

7 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

So, who else thinks that Luciferian Towers is their best post-reunion album by, yeah, quite a bit? I feel they finally succeeded in crafting a well-rounded piece that is not just two longtracks and two drones while the latter don't actually add a thing next to 'time to breath' after/before the actual tracks. I'm also getting all sorts of warm and fuzzy feelings listening to this. The build-up of side a has me thinking Yanqui UXO which, as some people here might know, gets me extra-excited. Side b however has a wonderful, intricate and sorrowful post-war spaghetti western-vibe. It just breathes F#a#. The climax of Bosses Hang is pure nowadays-GYBE and I think it is their best one yet, post-reunion, that is. 

So, overall, I'm happy. Was expecting another good, but ultimately compatible album, but they delivered their best collection since Yanqui and what is quite certainly my favorite post-rock release of the year.

Yeah man, I absolutely agree.  Bosses Hang might be my favorite thing of theirs, which is strange to feel because of how brilliant Skinny Fists is.  And let me tell you, Bosses Hang is a MONSTER live!  An absolute monster.  They neutered part 3 a bit, that went a good deal longer live (and maybe still will?) and that was totally bliss for me.  I could live inside that groove forever. 

Also, the production on this is fantastic.  I bet this sounds massive on vinyl.  I can't wait to get it. 

On 23.9.2017 at 3:53 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah man, I absolutely agree.  Bosses Hang might be my favorite thing of theirs, which is strange to feel because of how brilliant Skinny Fists is.  And let me tell you, Bosses Hang is a MONSTER live!  An absolute monster.  They neutered part 3 a bit, that went a good deal longer live (and maybe still will?) and that was totally bliss for me.  I could live inside that groove forever. 

Also, the production on this is fantastic.  I bet this sounds massive on vinyl.  I can't wait to get it. 

Seriously? I think Part 3 of BH is nowhere close to their best stuff...I rather find it somewhat annoying ( the main doodle until the break around the 4 min mark)

11 hours ago, Sasan said:

Seriously? I think Part 3 of BH is nowhere close to their best stuff...I rather find it somewhat annoying ( the main doodle until the break around the 4 min mark)

There's no accounting for taste ;)

But yeah dude, I love it.  I'm sure I'm biased because they played it at my first show, but that part hooked me in so hard.  I can't get enough haha