[PO] Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Luciferian Towers

On 9/22/2017 at 11:51 PM, Eliminator Jr. said:

So, who else thinks that Luciferian Towers is their best post-reunion album by, yeah, quite a bit? I feel they finally succeeded in crafting a well-rounded piece that is not just two longtracks and two drones while the latter don't actually add a thing next to 'time to breath' after/before the actual tracks. I'm also getting all sorts of warm and fuzzy feelings listening to this. The build-up of side a has me thinking Yanqui UXO which, as some people here might know, gets me extra-excited. Side b however has a wonderful, intricate and sorrowful post-war spaghetti western-vibe. It just breathes F#a#. The climax of Bosses Hang is pure nowadays-GYBE and I think it is their best one yet, post-reunion, that is. 

So, overall, I'm happy. Was expecting another good, but ultimately compatible album, but they delivered their best collection since Yanqui and what is quite certainly my favorite post-rock release of the year.

Eh...gotta disagree with you hear. I've only listened to it a couple of times so far, but so far Allelujah>>Asunder>>>Luciferian Towers. I'm appreciating their change up, more melody, but am really missing the teeth of their last couple albums. Just listen to 'Mladic' or 'Piss Crowns', then come back and listen to this album. No comparison really. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm still stoked that they've put this out, and are yet again changing their direction a bit, but in comparison to their other work, it's night and day. 

Also, side note , but for anyone who hasn't seen them, DO IT. One of the best bands I've ever seen live, without question.  There's wall of sound, then there's GSYBE! 

@skycriesmary 

Mladic is a beast, I agree. But, and this is the main problem I had with 'Allelujah' ever since, it's also 15 years old. So is We Drift Like Worried Fire. I know, that might not be a reasonable criticism for everyone, but the fact that I knew both songs by heart for many years, plus the fact that the other two songs are complete throwaways in my book always dampened the impact and my enjoyment of the album overall. 

I've seen them play 'Behemoth' three times before the release of Asunder and, next to the fact that by the time it got released it's already gotten kind of old for me, the recorded version is a mere glimpse of the monster that it has been in concert. 

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy both albums and think they're fairly good. Seeing them play both Bosses Hang and Anthem For No State on the Asunder tour was something else, though. And I think this time 'round they achieved a distinct and captivating studio version of the majestic proportions these songs had in their early stages during live sets. Also Luciferian Towers is, to me, that is, their first album since Yanqui without any filler. I enjoy every track just as much as the next one and there is no way I could say the same thing about 'Allelujah or Asunder

7 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

@skycriesmary 

Mladic is a beast, I agree. But, and this is the main problem I had with 'Allelujah' ever since, it's also 15 years old. So is We Drift Like Worried Fire. I know, that might not be a reasonable criticism for everyone, but the fact that I knew both songs by heart for many years, plus the fact that the other two songs are complete throwaways in my book always dampened the impact and my enjoyment of the album overall. 

I've seen them play 'Behemoth' three times before the release of Asunder and, next to the fact that by the time it got released it's already gotten kind of old for me, the recorded version is a mere glimpse of the monster that it has been in concert. 

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy both albums and think they're fairly good. Seeing them play both Bosses Hang and Anthem For No State on the Asunder tour was something else, though. And I think this time 'round they achieved a distinct and captivating studio version of the majestic proportions these songs had in their early stages during live sets. Also Luciferian Towers is, to me, that is, their first album since Yanqui without any filler. I enjoy every track just as much as the next one and there is no way I could say the same thing about 'Allelujah or Asunder

I hear what you're saying, and we're just appreciating different aspects of a phenomenal band. I'll give Towers more time, it might be more of a grower for me.