PO NOW: Propagandhi - Victory Lap LP + Flexi

On first listen there's only two Todd songs and he tries to actually sing, which sadly, I'm not into. The bass is also almost non existent? And, the abrupt ending to most of the songs make them seem unfinished...I did thoroughly enjoy it, though.

7 hours ago, brettmaronen said:

On first listen there's only two Todd songs and he tries to actually sing, which sadly, I'm not into. The bass is also almost non existent? And, the abrupt ending to most of the songs make them seem unfinished...I did thoroughly enjoy it, though.

Opinions are funny. Personally, I find the Todd songs the best he's done with Propagandhi and the singing parts work well. Did you listen to I-Spy much? He's come a long way, for sure.

Also the bass tone on this record is wicked - so not sure we're hearing the same thing? haha

Edited by stefanb

On 9/28/2017 at 9:24 AM, bridley said:

THIS ALBUM IS LIT AF.  

Can someone tell me who the best drummer is and why is it Jord?

King's Road EU vinyl should arrive to me in Toronto on Tuesday, gonna rip it loud. Well done Propagandhi.

Got my EU today (Toronto) currently spinning it - Got a poster too and the flexi is just taped to the cellophane on the outside. Nice pale translucent green.

2 hours ago, Satan said:

Glad I didn’t jump on this. This isn’t anything that I was expecting and definitely can’t get into it. 

I have felt this way before about Propagandhi LPs and have been proven wrong.

24 minutes ago, artofrecords said:

Missed the limited colored 12". How's the record? 

I was out running today listening to this and I swear Adventures in Zoochosis brought me to tears. Perfect song. LP falls a notch below that. I loved Failed States but honestly there were too many Todd songs dragging it down. Todd actually sings on this (think Night Letters - just nowhere near as good) instead of yelling but it is only two tracks. I would describe this as the modern day Propagandhi's Less Talk More Rock. Chris dominated, a little extra pop and melody, not as fast as its predecessor but still a solid 9.5/10.

1 hour ago, cside said:

I have felt this way before about Propagandhi LPs and have been proven wrong.

I was out running today listening to this and I swear Adventures in Zoochosis brought me to tears. Perfect song. LP falls a notch below that. I loved Failed States but honestly there were too many Todd songs dragging it down. Todd actually sings on this (think Night Letters - just nowhere near as good) instead of yelling but it is only two tracks. I would describe this as the modern day Propagandhi's Less Talk More Rock. Chris dominated, a little extra pop and melody, not as fast as its predecessor but still a solid 9.5/10.

I think that's a fair assessment. I'm a blind Propagandhi fanboy as you're going to get but if you look at the progression from the last few records, they had nowhere else to go but come up for some air. Failed States was a very dark, very technical, moody album with some heavy themes (and sound). The imagery surrounding the album supports this.

Victory Lap is more playful, bright - just look at the song titles / imagery that supports it. It's not as off the deep end. I really, really enjoy it mainly due to the playfulness coming back.

16 hours ago, stefanb said:

Got my EU today (Toronto) currently spinning it - Got a poster too and the flexi is just taped to the cellophane on the outside. Nice pale translucent green.

Mine is at the Fedex depot (not one home yesterday), so I'm going to go grab it in a few minutes. I've been listening to the digital files for the last few days and oh shit this things is great. Cop Just Out Of Frame, Lower Order (A Good Laugh), When All Your Fears Collide, and Nigredo are at the top of the list for me.

Also, there are so many sweet bass licks throughout this album - someone mentioned they were disappointed with where the bass is in the mix. I find it cuts through nicely on the digital files. Really impressed with Todd's playing.

Going to spin this all day while wasting my day playing my new SNES like a straight up child.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stefanb said:

Anyone else get a $20 FedEx invoice from the EU Kingsroad version?? :(

FYI they are selling the euro indie version on tour since the US vinyl was so late...

Yup - Got the invoice the day after the concert where they were selling the EU colour for $25CAD. Fuck.
To be fair half the invoice is for duty and HST, which I can't argue with. 

2 hours ago, bridley said:

Yup - Got the invoice the day after the concert where they were selling the EU colour for $25CAD. Fuck.

Makes for one super expensive record! I pre-ordered the euro indie as well, no way of knowing that's what they would have on tour....

Great show - soooo good

8 hours ago, stefanb said:

Anyone else get a $20 FedEx invoice from the EU Kingsroad version?? :(

FYI they are selling the euro indie version on tour since the US vinyl was so late...

7 hours ago, bridley said:

Are you both in Canada?